Advice sought on track types

Re: Advice sought on track types

Postby ozman2009 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks all for the most helpful responses. My space is about 900mm (3') wide, so with curve radii up to 400mm I could fit in a simple oval with no problems. As far as the bedding track is concerned, I have just discovered an Australian manufacturer of a rubber/plastic type roadbed product, which I suppose is something like the Noch roadbed. They don't make a line for TT as such, but they do make it for HOm, which also has a gauge of 12mm.
Gary
Sydney, Australia
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".
ozman2009

Postby ozman2009 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Arseny

Thanks for your most helpful reply. German eBay is a place frequently haunted by me - it's where I've bought most of my Z scale trains. However my knowledge of German is extremely limited. There are some nice items on that Russian site, but what I know about the Russian language could be written on a postage stamp in big capital letters. Did I miss seeing the English version? Or do I have to fall back on good old Babel Fish?
Gary
Sydney, Australia
ozman2009

Postby Arseny » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:06 pm

ozman2009 wrote:Hi Arseny

Thanks for your most helpful reply. German eBay is a place frequently haunted by me - it's where I've bought most of my Z scale trains. However my knowledge of German is extremely limited. There are some nice items on that Russian site, but what I know about the Russian language could be written on a postage stamp in big capital letters. Did I miss seeing the English version? Or do I have to fall back on good old Babel Fish?

Unfortunately they have only Russian and German version. You can try online-translators - http://translate.google.com/ or http://translate.ru/
But as I know TT-model did not update their site a long ago, so it is better to use it as a sort of some "common" information about their production.

Try to contact EuroTrainHobby - http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/
The director of TT-model told me that they work with them.
Arseny

Postby qrdelo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:20 am

Gary,

As you are from Australia you could try "Orient Express" hobby shop in Adelaide. They carry the Tillig flexible track and points range and can order the other track and models in for you. They are the Australian importers of Tillig TT for Australia and are usually quite good. They are excellent at getting spare parts for you as well.

The trouble with European manufacturers is the postage costs. It can cost 40 euro (50-60 dollars) to send from the continent so you need a big order to make it worthwhile.

There are a few other hobby shops in Australia that stock 12mm gauged track as it is quite popular with the QR, WA, Tas and SA narrow gauge modellers as well as our cousins over the ditch (NZ).

regards
Graeme
qrdelo

Postby ozman2009 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks Graeme. I saw the "Orient Express" stand at the Liverpool exhibition a couple of weeks ago and had a bit of a chat to them. How do they stack up as far as prices are concerned?
Gary
Sydney, Australia
ozman2009

Postby qrdelo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Prices are roughly in line with ETH and many european suppliers. Although having said that some models seem a little excessive. I was quoted $240 dollars for the 8 wheel coupled shunter for HVLE which is about 25% more than elsewhere but postage was cheaper which made it roughly the same price. Track was around $8 a length but postage for 10 lengths was only $7. They have managed to obtain some replacement parts for me that I could not get else where and you can give them a call or email them with questions. If they would only carry Keuhn or Piko (forget the Aussie dealer) it would be great.

You may find a number of shops in QLD, Tas, WA and SA also carry Peco and Shinohara 12 mm track and points.

Graeme
qrdelo

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 pm

qrdelo wrote: ...but postage was cheaper which made it roughly the same price....

That tends to be the case...
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby anotherTTnut » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:46 pm

because we talking advantages of different track types......

Here is a interesting fact on Kuehn`s new Track system: It's made the same as the original track with a slight curve on top of the rail to decrease friction and most importantly, that would transfer into less dirt / oil build up on the track!

Less time cleaning---->better power pick up------->more time playing, sorry operating sessions :-)
anotherTTnut

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:04 pm

anotherTTnut wrote:It's made the same as the original track with a slight curve on top of the rail to decrease friction and most importantly, that would transfer into less dirt / oil build up on the track!

Really? I didn't know that. Cool!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ozman2009 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:38 pm

anotherTTnut wrote:because we talking advantages of different track types......

Here is a interesting fact on Kuehn`s new Track system: It's made the same as the original track with a slight curve on top of the rail to decrease friction and most importantly, that would transfer into less dirt / oil build up on the track!

How does that affect traction, particularly on grades, with less wheel area on track?
Gary
Sydney, Australia
ozman2009

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans