Advice on problem BTTB couplers?

Advice on problem BTTB couplers?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:32 pm

I have been having a problem with some of my BTTB rolling stock not wanting to stay coupled. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix that ?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Advice on problem BTTB couplers?

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Replace them with 1015's
Tom Dempsey

Postby dileTTante » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 pm

BTTB couplers latch with vertical movement, so if they are not the same height they will uncouple. Height difference may be from uneven track or bent couplers. The coupler loops are easily bent high or low by pressure on the ends from storage or accidents and can be bent back to level. They should be horizontal to the track. Less likely but possible is the tongue of the coupler gets dislodged in the pocket and angled down, no longer level. Not very likely but possible is the coupler is reaching its limit of sideways movement on sharp curves.

Another possibility is that the wheels of the cars are the wrong diameter, making the car ride higher or lower than normal. This can be judged from whether the buffers match the height of buffers on the next car. I made this error when replacing plastic wheels with metal ones.

I like BTTB couplers but their design isn't adequate for close-coupling mechanisms, which is why there are Tillig couplers.

This information may seem too elementary but I can't think of any other reasons for your uncoupling problems.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby krokodil » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 am

Unfortunately every coupler is very sensitive for the track geometry and for the correct height adjustment. No one of the recent couplers can be adjusted.
The track geometry is critical in vertical transition areas - from level track to the slopes ( the close coupler is not designed for such layouts, practically every car will uncouple when the train runs downhill to level track when the transition portion is too short; should be > 2xlongest car). The old BTTB coupler is less sensitive for this problem.
The proper height of the couplers can be adjusted only by the correct wheel diameters or with a little bit more work by washers on the trucks or frame modification.
Sometimes also the speed of the trains has also an effect for the couplers. I do not know exactly the reason (maybe mechanical resonance) some trains on my layout with lower speed work very well on higher speed they sometimes uncouple. (I use also only BTTB couplers, as the close couplers created just problems).
I replaced already all my wheels with the heavier and very well running Müller wheelsets what improved very much the performance of my trains.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby j p » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:50 am

There is one type of couplers compatible with Zeuke/BTTB cars which does not uncouple.
Etched version:

coupler.jpg

I use similar couplers made of plastic on fixed EU consists, only the locomotive and the 1st car have standard BTTB couplers. They do not uncouple. But if one car derails, it takes the whole train with.
j p

Postby krokodil » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 am

I use also similar couplers ( also for new coupler boxes) for coaches.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby CFRiad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 pm

I find the old BTTB couplers quite robust.

Height differences create problems with coupling, i. e. they need a bit of help from the hand of God. Once coupled, though, they stay put and are quite forgiving for coupler misalignments, track waviness, etc.

They can uncouple if the coupler rides really low and it gets lifted by track elements at turnouts, level crossings, etc. If you have uncoupling problems here is where I would start troubleshooting.
CFRiad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:52 pm

The track that the uncoupling is going on is just Tillig Bedding track with no turnouts or crossings on it, so I am at a loss for the random uncoupling on the cars.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Troubleshooting idea #2: long cars (especially with body-mounted couplers) on tight curves.

#3: drooping couplers due to bent shanks

#4: if the guilty couplers are truck mounted, check if the trucks swivel freely.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:51 pm

If the couplers don’t droop but are slightly lower that the car next to it, when coupling try forcing the loop of the lower coupler to go over the loop of the higher one.

Also check if the coupler is installed correctly in the slot and the spring engages correctly in the coupler shank.
CFRiad

Return to General Discussion