ACL M5 caboose on Shapeways

ACL M5 caboose on Shapeways

Postby DKRickman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi folks,

I've been off doing my own thing for a while, but I haven't forgotten about TT scale. While working on other projects (in O scale, oddly enough), I realized that I could adapt my models to multiple scales, including TT. So, from now on, whenever practical, I intend to design with TT in mind, and to make models available in TT.

For a start, I've got an ACL M5 caboose available. I haven't printed it in TT, but I should have the HO version in hand tomorrow.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCGWM7L22/acl-m5-caboose-tt

A lot of my work has been on steam locomotive detail parts, and to that end I also have some Pyle National headlights available.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/SKAYHNP6X/16-quot-pyle-headlights-tt-20x
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Re: ACL M5 caboose on Shapeways

Postby areibel » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:39 pm

You're reading my mind!
I was just looking at some HO scale parts, trying to pull some dimensions off of them to downsize. The EL actually had some GP7's with something similar- http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/el1200jpb.jpg
You may have solved my problem!
areibel

Postby scaro » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:56 am

Well. It seems like if your preferred prototype was the Bone Valley operations in Florida, TT is somewhat viable, with Alex Marchand doing all the rock hoppers in TT too, and a fair few other SE wagons, like general and woodchip hoppers. Modestly priced, too. I'd better order one.

I have been playing around with using acetone fumes to try to give some Shapeways wagons a smoother finish. I'll try to find a relevant thread to comment on that, as the results look like they have potential.
scaro

Postby DKRickman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 am

Well, the headlights got kicked out as having thin wires. I'm working on an updated version right now. With luck, I'll have it uploaded within the hour.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby DKRickman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:48 am

All right, I updated the headlights. The new version is at the same link:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/SKAYHNP6X/16-quot-pyle-headlights-tt-20x
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby j p » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:51 am

I could use some of the headlights for sure.
Have you got 3D files for cabs too?
Cabs for Pennsy steam engines + for UP Challenger and Big Boy would be a great help.

- Jan
j p

Postby DKRickman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:26 am

I don't have any PRR or UP stuff, sorry. I'm mainly a Southern Ry. modeler, and I do have some cab drawings for Southern locomotives. I need to do another version for larger Southern engines, and if there's any interest I could make those available in TT as well.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby DKRickman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm

I received my HO scale version of the caboose today, and I'm thrilled with it. There are a couple weak spots at the corners of the floor, but it won't matter once I add weight. The walls are a little bit thin, but not too bad. Since the TT model is a little thicker, and everything is smaller, I am very optimistic about the prospects for it.

I hope you guys who've bought them will share photos and/or comments.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 pm

DKRickman wrote:I don't have any PRR or UP stuff, sorry. I'm mainly a Southern Ry. modeler, and I do have some cab drawings for Southern locomotives. I need to do another version for larger Southern engines, and if there's any interest I could make those available in TT as well.

I am very much interested in Southern Railway (as well as it's predecessors and successor) equipment.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi Ken,
I got another email from Shapeways that they can't print the headlights (again!) Any idea why they're kicking it out? Even if you could do them with thicker walls (if that's the issue) they would work, even if we had to bore them out a but for LEDs?
Al
areibel

Next

Return to General Discussion