ACL M5 caboose on Shapeways

Re: ACL M5 caboose on Shapeways

Postby DKRickman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:33 am

This is frustrating, to say the least! The issue (this time at least) seems to be a little nub I left connecting the sprue to the feet of the headlight. The sprue is actually larger than the foot, so I trued leaving a small section to make the separation easier and more obvious. Doesn't look like that's going to work. Fortunately, it's an easy fix. When I get off work tomorrow, I'll see what I can do about it.

I am sorry about this, guys! I rally am trying to draw something which will print and look good. I'm still learning, apparently.
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby areibel » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:20 am

No Problem at all!
It sure beats my option- trying to build one out of styrene tube and sheet. I'm not that great of a sculptor. Not to mention I want to finish up the rest (the part that goes between the two headlights) as well!
areibel

Postby DKRickman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:01 pm

You probably already saw this, but I decided to start a new thread about the headlights and other locomotive parts.
http://www.ttnut.com/steam-locomotive-detail-parts-on-shapeways-t2431.html

I m really hoping the caboose prints well. The HO one is quite thin - 0.3 mm, or just under 0.012". I'm thinking I'm going to have to reinforce it with styrene or brass to make it a little more durable. Right now, if it takes a trip to the floor it will be in a million pieces.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby modorney » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:32 am

Shapeways is funny. Each time you submit,it goes to a different supplier. It's not like there is one big building, printing lots of stuff, more like a bunch of third parties, each interpreting the rules their way.
modorney

Postby LVG1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:00 am

Yes, we know.

It's been discussed several times here.
And it has also been discussed that the European suppliers deliver better quality than the American ones... :thumbdown:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby modorney » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:11 pm

You almost wish you could pick your supplier - no names, just a code number.

"I would like J-33"
"He's backed up, can you wait a couple more weeks?"
"OK"
modorney

Postby modorney » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:18 pm

A long time ago, we used to have a system called "student molds" It was an injection molding operation that used a four-part injection machine, where the operator could mount four different molds. So, you, and three others, got parts made that day.

Usually all you got was gray styrene (like the old Revell kits). But you could request red, white, black, and even some other
materials. But you had to wait for those. The flip side was you could pick any color, and get parts quicker.

It was limited to a part size of about 25 or 30 square inches, and cost about $15,000 (including a stripper die, which they could also send to you, idf you wanted to do your own stripping.) This is 30 years ago, and I heard about it in Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc., so prices have gone up. I wonder if this is still done?
modorney

Postby areibel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:30 pm

Mine showed up today, and first impression- WOW!
This is the first FUD piece I've gotten since the KM 4000, but it's worlds better. No layering in either side or the roof, very little of the patented Shapeways "goop" on the sides, etc. They must be getting their act straightened out at the NY facility.
The sides are thin but look great. The floor panel might be a little too thin, it looks like it has a slight warp along the edge but that is a very easy fix, just laminate a piece of styrene or even wood to it and it will be hidden inside. I'll clean it up and give it a quick shot of primer and post some pics.
And after the hassle they gave Ken about the headlights they showed up as well (but I need my visor to see them!). I'm guessing they're just as nice. The only thing a little irritating is they were ordered two days apart, and came the same day- just a way to make an extra $4.99 in shipping is guess!
Al
areibel

Postby DKRickman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:17 pm

I understand that Shapeways likes to run FUD orders on Thursdays. So chances are they actually produced both parts at more or less the same time. I wish they had a way to combine orders - right now, the only way to do it is to cancel any pending orders and then re-place them with all the items combined.

I'm THRILLED that the parts came out well, and I'm looking forward to seeing some photos. If you don't mind, I'd love to use some photos on the Shapeways page so that others can see how they'll look. As for the floor, I know it's thin, but I figured you'd have to glue in a weight anyway, which ought to take care of that.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby j p » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:50 pm

areibel wrote:Mine showed up today, and first impression- WOW!
This is the first FUD piece I've gotten since the KM 4000, but it's worlds better. No layering in either side or the roof, very little of the patented Shapeways "goop" on the sides, etc. They must be getting their act straightened out at the NY facility.
The sides are thin but look great. The floor panel might be a little too thin, it looks like it has a slight warp along the edge but that is a very easy fix, just laminate a piece of styrene or even wood to it and it will be hidden inside. I'll clean it up and give it a quick shot of primer and post some pics.
And after the hassle they gave Ken about the headlights they showed up as well (but I need my visor to see them!). I'm guessing they're just as nice. The only thing a little irritating is they were ordered two days apart, and came the same day- just a way to make an extra $4.99 in shipping is guess!
Al

1. I'd use metal instead of styrene or wood to add weight (if possible)
2. I don't understand your last point about the shipping. It was you who made it to 2 different orders, not Shapeways. You can combine the orders anytime before they start printing. I don't know how long is the "processing" time for New York facility, it is more than a week for Europe.
How to combine: cancel the first order, then make a 2nd order for both items.
I had to do that when they rejected the 2nd version of the headlights.
j p

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion