Above board turnout motor for Tillig advanced track

Above board turnout motor for Tillig advanced track

Postby Rich B » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 am

I want to place a point in a location which is unsuitable for a below baseboard motor, eg Tortoise or Tillig 86112. The Tillig mechanisms 83531/2 don't look suitable for EW2s (the points I'm using in that area), and I'm not aware of any latching or stall point drives that are. Can anyone suggest something? I'd rather an electrically driven point than hand thrown as I like to have a control panel that I can move around according the the requirements of exhibition or home use.

Thanks

Rich
Rich B

Re: Above board turnout motor for Tillig advanced track

Postby Arseny » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:00 am

Yes, Tillig 83531/2 are not suitable for EW2 and EW3 switches.
They need a big force to move and hold the point.
For example, some Russian modellers told me that Hoffman's switching machines sometimes can not hold the point in place.

Some Russian modellers use polarized relays instead switching machines. Look here:

help-me-with-my-show-layout-t1856-50.html#p22079
Arseny

Postby CSD » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:46 am

You can use a tortoise motor at a remote location. Sleave some piano wire through a tube and bend up an "L" at one end for the point throw bar. Run the tube/wire over to the point motor and bend the other end to fit the tortoise. You can bend a little zig-zag into the wire at one end to put some spring into it if needed.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Rich B » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Great idea Mark, that'll sort the issue out. Thanks!
Rich B

Postby krokodil » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 am

Yesterday we received the first new handmade switches for our new TT layout. The new switches use flexible points, ie. to switch them you need a motor driven mechanizm. I decided to use in the future only servos for such jobs. In my H0 logging railroad i tested those servos, that time in simplified way - I just removed from the motors the electronics, and controlled the motors with simple DC power.
On the new layout we plan lot of switches, so I was looking for a more efficient way. Today the servos are very cheap ( for our puprposes the cheapest ones are more than good enough).
How to control so many switches? I found a solution with the Octopus III.
This device for reasonable price can control up to 8 servos with lot of features what are unknown from the model railway industry. You can control the speed and the angle of the servo mechanizm.
For the control you can use any common devices like pushbuttons, toggle switches, relay contacts or external control signals +5V.
The device delivers also signals for 2 position indicators. You can also combine the diverse control methods.
For computer controlled layout you can attach an extra DCC decoder, or you can use the GPI signals to throw the points.

Here are the common informations for the control mechanizm:

http://tamvalleydepot.com/products/octo ... river.html

And here are my first TTe handmade switches:
Attachments
image.jpg
Handmade TTe switches
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Rich B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:28 am

Servo control is getting simpler for model railway applications, with off the shelf decoders which also accept push-button control. I'm a member of MERG, who offer kits for controlling four servos via switch or PC for £6.30, and a simple kit controlling a singe servo with a potentiometer for £1.86- this one is actually simple to make at home as it's little more than a 555 timer, resistors and capacitors.
Rich B

Postby krokodil » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:25 am

I do not use DCC yet ( too many old stuff) but I made many years ago a computer controlled layout based on description in the MR, with conventional parts ( the first version was controlled by a ZX Spectrum - because of easy graphics on screen). Anyway I probably will use those IO cards ( i should have over 128 ports), but this is a future music. What is funny on the Octopus is the control of the servos.
I use also simple servo controllers, based on one CMOS logic device and the potentiometer. For many switches it is too complicated to adjust each turnout individually.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby krokodil » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Here is my newest servo controller:

http://youtu.be/Zt_p9eSIpqg
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 pm

That's pretty cool! I've bookmarked their website.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby krokodil » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:17 pm

I had to replace the video, because the controller on the video differs from the original.

Here is the new link.

http://youtu.be/izWmzwiYIeI
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Return to Electric / DCC