a southern shortline, an inspiring series of photos

a southern shortline, an inspiring series of photos

Postby scaro » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:01 am

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... C%7C%7C%7C

For some reason, probably the human element, and the down-at-heels, utilitarian look of the equipment, I keep coming back to this series of photos.

Could also be the countryside. Railpictures has a similar series on another 'backroads' operation, the original Norfolk Southern, who ran in a similar area, and they also also ooze atmosphere.

I only became aware of the old Atlantic & Danville from a Rail Model Craftsman article which featured what turns out to have been a very rare picture of one of their locos in a 1980s article on RS2s.

I've always liked 'austerity' paint schemes. There was an oft-forgotten major world downturn in the late 50s, which had a major effect on railroading. While the corporate entities themselves mostly survived a decade more, garish 1940s paint schemes were an immediate casualty. Blue, green or black dip became common on railroads all over the country.

One, the L&N, for a time reverted to engine black, complete with a traditional steam loco logo. NF&D's logo, OTOH, looks to have been come up with by N&W management using a doodle on the back of a matchbook.
scaro

Re: a southern shortline, an inspiring series of photos

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:30 pm

The nice thing of austerity paint jobs is that they are easy to replicate on a model, alas they are not flashy and attractive to get people's attention.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: a southern shortline, an inspiring series of photos

Postby scaro » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:30 pm

I'd wonder if they are actually harder to do well. I guess it's all in the weathering and detail. I have seen some pretty bad Georgia or N&W schemes that look like someone dropped an F7 in a can of gloss black paint.
scaro

Return to General Discussion