A shift of priorities

Re: A shift of priorities

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:42 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying "they need to stay away because they are old school". I'd love to have them here to discuss the old stuff. Hell, look at 'Sailor - he's got tons of older stuff and plenty of conversations gets started around his items and there is plenty of interest in them. The difference is that he's also embracing the new.

I would absolutely LOVE to see some pics posted of those Yahoo group guys' layouts and models. I've seen maybe 5 pics total in my life of US proto tt scale. But they don't wanna.

They kept the scale alive in the dark days. They should be a part of coming out of the dark.

Thanks. That pretty well sums up my feelings about collecting, building, and running TT scale: keeping a foot firmly planted in the past, and the other in the future, so one can see where we have been, and where we are going.

It sure does seem like more progress is here than on the Yahoo groups, shoot, just how many cars are either available or in late development over just the last few months?

The future of TT scale definitely looks brighter, we just need to make sure the flame does not get put out.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Marquette wrote:There were a few other instances where I'd posted something on the subject of modern techniques for new TT stuff, and more often than not, it was completely ignored like the P:120 posting.

Haha, thet din't ignore me but they did tell me my comments on getting new manufacturers interested in TT scale were not welcome on their list anymore so I pulled my photos out of their album and moved over here....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:
Haha, thet din't ignore me but they did tell me my comments on getting new manufacturers interested in TT scale were not welcome on their list anymore so I pulled my photos out of their album and moved over here....dave

Now see, what the hell kind of crap is that? :naughty:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:28 am

areibel wrote:.....he runs a small hobby shop....... he stocks some TT....

Mecca.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:10 pm

i am not a technical guy. i could care less if wheelbases are not quite correct.its my thinking that interest could be garnered by going to forums like atlas n scales tt scale tread,where there seems to be a lot of members who are on the fence about the scale.the problem there is if they have any interest to check it out they often find sites that havent been updated in years, or sites with a t set on a table with cats chasing the trains around.i see ben(scaro) often on the site fighting the good fight, maybe if more of us posted and posted some pictures it might push those inclined to jump the fence.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:47 pm

I understand what you're saying about the Atlas guys. BUT, those guys won't make the switch until there is at least a decent amount of rolling stock readily available.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 am

ctxmf74 wrote:
Marquette wrote:There were a few other instances where I'd posted something on the subject of modern techniques for new TT stuff, and more often than not, it was completely ignored like the P:120 posting.

at the risk of bringing personalities into it, that is not the whole story.

the last time the 'let's get some big manufacturer interested in TT' thread was raised on the TT yahoo forum was less than a year after the same debate had been thrashed out, and everyone was quite rightly sick to death of it.

dave, you either originated or contributed a lot to that thread and kept saying that if atlas or bachmann got into TT, it would be a raging success and you would then commit to TT.

a few of us, not unreasonably, said ‘well, why don’t you go and ask atlas or bachmann then?'

you answered that you did not think it was your responsibility to do that as atlas weren’t paying you. despite this, you seemed to have no problem lecturing the yahoo forum - for free! – to the effect that, and i quote you, 'TT hadn't gotten it's act together.' in other words, i’m gonna run my mouth, but it is up to one of you guys to actually do anything.

is it any wonder that members found this insulting and upsetting?

in that yahoo forum thread, the guys involved had contributed a lot to TT. one guy did a scale rule and TT trucks. another did a range of rolling stock. one ran a TT magazine. others did molds and castings. over the years, members had tried to get manufacturers interested; in a few cases, they lost a lot of their own cash by doing it.

i have talked to many of those guys on the phone and email and gotten to understand a bit about what they went through in keeping the scale alive.

i like this forum and i like the TT yahoo group. but i do not think we do ourselves any favours in making negative and misleading comments about another forum.

both forums serve a purpose and i am happy to be a member of both.

i would not be in TT were it not for the help i received from members of the yahoo forum.

ben
Last edited by scaro on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
scaro

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:38 am

jmass wrote:i am not a technical guy. i could care less if wheelbases are not quite correct.its my thinking that interest could be garnered by going to forums like atlas n scales tt scale tread,where there seems to be a lot of members who are on the fence about the scale.the problem there is if they have any interest to check it out they often find sites that havent been updated in years, or sites with a t set on a table with cats chasing the trains around.i see ben(scaro) often on the site fighting the good fight, maybe if more of us posted and posted some pictures it might push those inclined to jump the fence.

i post on those sites when something of substance happens. like the gondola, or doings in TTn3.5 which is the major focus for TT outside of Eastern Europe.

i do see their point that there is no point having an annual 'TT is back' discussion that produces nothing of value.

the fence sitters tend to make a condition that they'll jump into TT 'when a major manufacturer takes the plunge and offers a line of RTR locos and stock.' now that is just not going to happen, so i ignore these guys; they have made themselves irrelevant to anything going on in the real world.

ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:44 am

Well, this is degenerating quite nicely! I'm going to end and lock this discussion with the following:

The Yahooers maybe have a different view of things, different priorities, different ideas, etc, etc, etc.

I would love to have them here. We are moving forward with or without.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Links