A shift of priorities

Re: A shift of priorities

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 am

anotherTTnut wrote:They do offer subscription outside of Germany for 69 Euros, I have to say do that a lot of times when you send a inquiry in english to some companies in Germany, you will not get a response for the simple fact that you probably dealing with an older gentleman who is not fluent in english and hence no response! I could inquire for you, lets see what kind of response i get in german???

That would be great thanks!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:21 pm

[quote="ConducTTor
My issue is with the few shops who DO currently offer TT items. Logic would dictate that they would be interested in a site like this - by supporting the community and helping to grow it, they would ultimately be increasing their own customer base. [/quote]

I think the existing TT scale community is largely too old and interested in the past so they have not even seen this site. The Yahoo TT group can go days without any postings so you are doing very well here by comparison.
What US TT needs is more new stuff like the TTNUT gondolas and tank car kits and trucks to attract a younger crowd. TT is the ideal size for fitting modern railroading into a modest space so it's gonna catch the eye of a MTH, Bachman, Kato, or MTL one of these days and then all the work will pay off. Maybe some Chinese manufacturer will see the possibilities soon, they are churning out lots of diecast toys with little thought to their compatibility, if they started building in 120 scale they could sell a lot more to serious hobbyists.
As for increasing the Euro rail content of the site I don't see much value in that, they don't seem interested in USA prototypes and what they have made is very expensive. I think just continuing to design and post your models and get others interested is gonna pay off. As long as everyone does a little bit the progress will continue ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:46 pm

ctxmf74 wrote: I think the existing TT scale community is largely too old and interested in the past so they have not even seen this site. The Yahoo TT group can go days without any postings.........

I've pretty much given up on those guys and rarely if ever check the group for postings. The problem over there is that everyone keeps trading the same (limited in number) 30+ year old pieces and 90% of the conversation centers around those same pieces. No one is interested in anything new so TT ain't going anywhere over there except more and more backwards.

Also from what I've been told many of them are "afraid of computers / the internet" so they won't visit this site. If you don't want to go to the sand box, you wont make new friends to play with............or find out about the new toys you could be playing with....
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Pehaps those old codgers have a problem with the fact that those pinko-commie-bastards were able to make a go of something they couldn't. (Boohoo) Cold war is over folks! We've moved on! (wink)
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:28 pm

CSD wrote:Pehaps those old codgers have a problem with the fact that those pinko-commie-bastards were able to make a go of something they couldn't. (Boohoo) Cold war is over folks! We've moved on! (wink)

Nah I think they just go with what they know and don't have much interest in anything new. It's their prerogative. But, things need to move forward or TT here will die with them.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:57 pm

To be brutally honest I'd rather /not/ have them here. I like our focus on getting new stuff done with modern technology, and I'd be concerned that if they all came here, their fixation on antiques would overwhelm everything.

I think, too, that they are a huge reason that North American TT has no interest in the broader modelling public, because they cause this perception that TT is just a museum scale and everyone just wants to run ancient models on antique track.

I too have mostly given up on the Yahoo group... I remember a few years ago, I worked out the numbers with a friend for Proto:120 specs - as it turned out, Proto:120 is perfectly feasible. I was very excited about this and shared my findings, both on the Yahoo TT group and on the German TT-Board. On the German board, a rather long thread came to life on the subject; on the Yahoo group it was completely ignored.

There were a few other instances where I'd posted something on the subject of modern techniques for new TT stuff, and more often than not, it was completely ignored like the P:120 posting.

North American TT won't die - we've got too good a group here who are actually interested in modernising the scale, and there are too many German TTers interested in NA proto, as well. What WILL die with the old codgers is their anti-modernity, and to that I say, I can't wait.

I may sound like a cold Haggis saying that, but I don't care, I honestly believe they're playing a big role in holding the progress of TT back.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:27 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Nah I think they just go with what they know and don't have much interest in anything new. It's their prerogative. But, things need to move forward or TT here will die with them.

All kidding aside, I completely agree, but I don't thinks its in their hands anymore judging by the response to this site.

Marquette wrote:To be brutally honest I'd rather /not/ have them here. I like our focus on getting new stuff done with modern technology... I may sound like a cold Haggis saying that, but I don't care, I honestly believe they're playing a big role in holding the progress of TT back.

Hilarious! I was a little disappointed with my experience in the yahoo group too. I don't get it. If your mouth doesn't start salivating at the thought of a Roco BR 120 or New Tillig BR 01.5 or other developements then what are you doing in TT? I can understand if that isn't your specific focus, but this ain't your grandfathers hobby anymore.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:54 pm

CSD wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Nah I think they just go with what they know and don't have much interest in anything new. It's their prerogative. But, things need to move forward or TT here will die with them.

All kidding aside, I completely agree, but I don't thinks its in their hands anymore judging by the response to this site.

It's not. I meant if it was left up to them.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Speaking of old codgers, here I am!
I've kinda got a foot in each boat here- and it feels like they're drifting apart!
I do like the old HP stuff. I've got a lot of it, I'm interested in the history of all the different TT companies, and considering the hassles that Mr. Joyce had to go through to get rolling, I think he did a hell of a job! I'm not a true collector, I don't have one each of everything in an immaculate box, but I wanted to be able to populate a big railroad so there's a lot of lead in my basement. A future project will be figuring how to repower an HP steamer so they're not so cranky, and updating to eliminate some other inherent problems.
But I'm really pumped about the new stuff. The GP 38 has taken a lot longer than I thought, but I think we'll have a nice TT locomotive when it's ready (barring anymore earthquakes in NZ!). I'm selfish, I don't just want to have TT for the great unwashed massses, I want it for me! If it's nice, I'll buy it. The guys that kept American TT going through the darkest times (the 80's and early 90's) deserve a hand, they kept a few items trickling out way before anything from Europe was available. And a lot of the US guys will buy it. I gave one of Conducttor's gons to a friend in TT-he was ecstatic! He's on the net, but not everyone wastes as much time on here as I do. He hadn't heard of it, but he'll be a buyer. And he runs a small hobby shop. It's a very small shop, and he's only been open for about 9 months but he stocks some TT- and the gondola may be the first "new" item he offers.
And just because they don't want European TT dosen't mean they don't want TT! It's a lot of what you see or grew up with. I've gained an appreciation for it- I'd love to have a Brawa E95, and I'll probably wind up with one. Wrong time frame, wrong power, Hell, wrong continent for my railroad! But it's a cool model. Not everyone thinks that way- they saw GP's (early or late) SD's, U-boats, Alco Centuries and that's what they want to run. Right now I have a couple of Tillig locos, not counting the PVM Lionel kits. I have a nice BR120 that is a great model too, but it's going to suffer a terrible fate. It's going to be cannibalized for it's power train and get turned into a SD45, I hope! Just call me the Dr. Moreau of TT. And if you only have a limited amount of $$ to spend, it's not going to go for what you don't want to model. Yes, there are cheap TT'ers but there are cheap guys in every scale. With TT's size they just stick out worse. Most will spend the money on a quality product.
I think it's a sad thing to count out anyone just because they're not on the Net. They may be missing out on a lot, but they're just as happy to see it come as we are. TT has suffered from the "vaporware" syndrome for 60 years- lots promised, little delivered and some guys really got burned. But that's changed, thanks to the Boss here. I still think the work he's doing is incredible, and I can't wait for the rest of the models to come down the pipeline!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying "they need to stay away because they are old school". I'd love to have them here to discuss the old stuff. Hell, look at 'Sailor - he's got tons of older stuff and plenty of conversations gets started around his items and there is plenty of interest in them. The difference is that he's also embracing the new.

I would absolutely LOVE to see some pics posted of those Yahoo group guys' layouts and models. I've seen maybe 5 pics total in my life of US proto tt scale. But they don't wanna.

They kept the scale alive in the dark days. They should be a part of coming out of the dark.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Links