A possible project...

A possible project...

Postby Marquette » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:36 pm

The second of the following photos I found at the National Archives of Canada on my last trip to Ottawa, the first I can't remember where I found it. But, I just rediscovered them, and figured I'd share...

...because I can see a potential modelling project here, using a Tillig V60 as a basis.

I don't remember the details of the history behind these photos. At some point in the 1950s, CN tested this MaK locomotive for an extended period. This is the DB V65, not the DR V60, but the two are quite close. I think the biggest visible difference is the shape of the cab, but a DR V60 painted into the CN green could serve as a pretty good standin if one doesn't want to try building the new cab.

CN 1000 - 2.jpg

CN MaK.jpg
From Library & Archives Canada.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: A possible project...

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 pm

There is a model of the V80 which has the cab you're looking for. I think it was made by Tillig but I'm not sure

My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:09 pm

One more pic

My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 pm

IIRC that was a shell made by Union-TT (who also did an E-7 or E-8 shell). Somewhere around here I have an old compilation-catalogue of small-series manufacturers in Germany.

In any case, V60 body/chassis with the V80 cab (with front windows maybe enlarged a bit) could be a pretty fine approximation of the MaK!
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am

TTQuebec wrote:
I can see a potential modelling project here, using a Tillig V60 as a basis.

Yeah, I was thinking that a fictional American shortline could use one of those european prototypes as a loco and just say they got a good deal on it or they had connections in the old country? With a little americanizing of the couplers and details they'd look quite a bit like a center cab transfer loco......dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 am

Or another idea could be based on the precedent set by the photo: if you model a Real Railway, shortline or class I, you could use a (single) European loco with a plausible backstory: the locomotive is on extended service trials...
Marquette

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am

Oh yeah . . . thanks for reminding me. That appeared in one edition of the Kalmbach Diesel Spotter's Guide, which I foolishly sold a while back.

I can't find much history of it online but from that Guide I believe there was a Romanian beastie in the US for a while around Washington called a 'Faur Quarter Horse' and it looked a bit like this, but believe it was a centre cab B-B. Again, I think it arrived for evaluation but didn't impress anyone much. The CN version is quite attractive though.

One of the Canadian interurbans, the London & Port Stanley, also rostered G12s which you most likely know already ; the EtchCetera NZ120 kit should be right.

http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/on/htm/lps18.htm

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:11 am

I believe, but am not certain, that the Faur was the same type as what serves in Hungary as class M47.

I'd heard of the G12s with the L&PS but hadn't seen any pictures - thanks! G12s also served on the Newfoundland Rly (CN), on narrow gauge.

There was also a thing some years back about some Russian locomotives arriving in Texas for use on a shortline there, but for whatever reason they never entered service.

In any event, such tests did occur occasionally, and so a single European loco can be well justified as being within the realm of plausibility!
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 pm

TTQuebec wrote:In any event, such tests did occur occasionally, and so a single European loco can be well justified as being within the realm of plausibility!

and I recall a few of the big German hydraulics on the espee years ago......dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 pm

ctxmf74 wrote: and I recall a few of the big German hydraulics on the espee years ago......dave

Yeah, SP and D&RGW both had Krauss-Maffei diesel-hydros, though those had a unique carbody design that was unique to the North American units - though internally I believe it was very similar to some units that ran in Germany. (V300 I *think* but am not certain - V300 is also the ex-Yugoslav class 761 that pulled Tito's special train).
Marquette

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models