... a personal message from HM The Queen

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: ... a personal message from HM The Queen

Postby Richard-B » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 am

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy).

This is completely unrealistic; instead:

The California Republic* will reassert its independence, taking its rightful place as the 7th largest national economy.

An application to join the European Community will be filed immediately, citing the near total alignment of social and environmental policies. The "Right to privacy" vs "Right to free speech" thing will be worked out over time.

The 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo with Mexico will re-negotiated, and the rights of Spanish-speaking citizens confirmed; Imperial County will re returned to Mexico, giving them control of a larger portion of the Colorado River.

With retention of a major portion of the previous US constitution, all future presidents must have been born on California soil or in California territories. (Sorry, Arnold, Barack, and Milt...).

As a corollary, any geopolitical entity with a border on the Pacific Ocean, following a plebiscite of its people, may petition to join the California Commonwealth, agreeing to the use of California Republic legal principles, and the Republics' currency, the Caldollar (Symbol: Ȼ)

IMHO... a modest proposal... and we'll gladly throw in Kansas to anyone who will take it. (Dorothy and Toto included!)

(* Check out our State flag:
The words "California Republic", a bear, and a RED STAR!!! No wonder Kansas thinks we're somewhat to the left of the late Karl Marx!)
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Arseny » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:59 am

Richard-B wrote:As a corollary, any geopolitical entity with a border on the Pacific Ocean, following a plebiscite of its people, may petition to join the California Commonwealth

Hmm.... really ANY ? :wink:
Not a bad idea!

We even can use our own bears... But leave the red star to yourself! :lol:
Arseny

Postby jmass » Sun May 13, 2012 9:35 am

while watching a couple of British detective series and also on other of the british shows on pbs i have become facinated with how many times ive heard the phrase [the states] when talking about America, as if there is still a bit of ownership there. which really doesnt bother me as ive allways looked to Great Britan as the mother country, and im sure alot of Americans feel the same way.
jmass

Postby CSD » Sun May 13, 2012 11:18 am

^^^ As a Canadian I'll add that we are part of America. "The States" specifically refers to the USA (we say that too). America is not the name of the country even though it is often referred to as such. It has always been interesting to me that Americans refer to themselves as such when the term could easily include any person from the North, South or Central regions of this land mass. I suppose United States-ians just sounds stupid.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 13, 2012 11:40 am

Its probably due to fact that we English ( I say that because my Scottish wife says so) always shorten every name whenever possible. If a name cannot be shortened then the namee will be given a short nickname like me my name is Richard but everybody calls me Dick. This can obviously become embarassing when the whole name gets shortened to Dick Ed which is common speak for an idiot or something worse. Ha ha I love it but others are appalled. All my Scottish family always call me Richard, for some reason they do not shorten names like the English do. I am not aware of any reason that America is called the States for any other reason than it is short for United States
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 13, 2012 8:23 pm

So what you're saying is, Richard Cranium would be shortened to Dick Head?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Mon May 14, 2012 1:34 am

Ha ha I knew you would come back with something like that--- brilliant!!!
richardedmonds

Previous

Return to Off Topic