A mechanism for your scratchbuilt project

Re: A mechanism for your scratchbuilt project

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 pm

The real problem with model sounds is that you can't fit a huge speaker to reproduce the low tones. So they don't sound right.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby krokodil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:35 am

ConducTTor wrote:The real problem with model sounds is that you can't fit a huge speaker to reproduce the low tones. So they don't sound right.

Today there are already excellent small speakers from mobile phones - some of them are delivered with optimized cabinet to get the maximum efficiency.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby gerhard_k » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 pm

krokodil wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:The real problem with model sounds is that you can't fit a huge speaker to reproduce the low tones. So they don't sound right.

Today there are already excellent small speakers from mobile phones - some of them are delivered with optimized cabinet to get the maximum efficiency.

Maybe I am just too picky about sound, but even the best small speakers just sound tinny and weak, if you stand back and listen objectively. A friend has an O scale layout, the sound in those locos is a world better than any HO. But still, real railroads have a lot of very low rumble frequencies. There's fundamentally no way to reproduce that sound with a tiny speaker.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby TinGoat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:00 pm

If you want BIG sound, forget about on board sound...

Set up a Stationary DCC Sound Decoder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EattepYfsCk

Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby TinGoat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:44 pm

HI Bernd,

Bernd wrote:I finally turned the ATC around so the magnets are on the motor shaft so to speak. Adjusted the air gap between the two pieces and am getting quite a different reaction.

Bernd

Did you widen the gap or narrow it?
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby krokodil » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:58 am

gerhard_k wrote:
krokodil wrote:

Maybe I am just too picky about sound, but even the best small speakers just sound tinny and weak, if you stand back and listen objectively. A friend has an O scale layout, the sound in those locos is a world better than any HO. But still, real railroads have a lot of very low rumble frequencies. There's fundamentally no way to reproduce that sound with a tiny speaker.

In our scale 1 club we finaly prohibited all sound locomotives, the noise was extremely disturbing and loud ( some of the locos have 10 W amps on board) :grin:
Therefore I edit sounds for my friend, who has a small modelltrain service workshop, but I do not have any locomotive with sound on board. I prefer a noise free layout, where I can hear the noise of wheels jumping over the gaps in rails. :thumbup:
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby gerhard_k » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:34 pm

krokodil wrote:In our scale 1 club we finally prohibited all sound locomotives. I prefer a noise free layout, where I can hear the noise of wheels jumping over the gaps in rails. :thumbup:

I operate on a large H0 layout, with 80-90 locos, most in triple lash-ups, and all with sound. The owner does not skimp on money, but I don't find the sound adds to my enjoyment.
For my own layout, I will forget about sound decoders. Think of all the money that saves!
Otoh (=on the other hand, for non-native English readers), the Stationary Sound idea above, or Soundtraxx's Surroundtraxx, where the sound travels progresssively to various stationary speakers as the loco moves, is another story entirely...
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby krokodil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 am

Hi Gerhard

I fully agree with you! I do not mind to have ocassionally a good railway sound ambient, and also do not mind when some of the locos move on the layout with sound, but I do not think that it is acceptable on long term basis. Most the layouts ( and layout rooms) are anyway quite noisy, do we need to pollute our hobby environment with additional noise?

:shock:

( i spent over 15 years on diverse rock stages.... :grin: ..)
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Previous

Return to General Discussion