A mechanism for your scratchbuilt project

Re: A mechanism for your scratchbuilt project

Postby CN-TT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Hallo Bernd,

I installed a Tsunami TSU-750 sounddecoder in a BTTB BR107. It was tight but it fits. I will bring this one and my SW1200 with a DCC coupler to the show in Burnaby next sunday.

Björn
Attachments
BR107sounddec.JPG
CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:39 pm

CN-TT wrote:I will bring this one and my SW1200 with a DCC coupler to the show in Burnaby next sunday.

Björn
Welcome. At the show you can find us along the wall opposite the entrance.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby krokodil » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:42 am

Bernd wrote:
I'm wondering what this would sound like with a Tsunami sound decoder in it. I don't suppose there are any HO sound decoders that will fit a TT scale engine? I'm pretty sure a non-sound N scale decoder would work. I'll have to check and see if Soundtrax makes a sound decoder that would fit into a TT scale locomotive.

Bernd

Look at these decoders:

http://www.tran.at/Produkte/SL76Next18.shtml
or
http://www.tran.at/Produkte/SL76.shtml
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby krokodil » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Bernd wrote:krokodil,

Thanks for the link. I can't read German even though I am. Grew up over here in the US. I did scan to see if they have Alco sounds. I didn't see any. I don't think an Alco FA diesel would sound good with a European sounding engine.

Bernd

Usually there are some standard sounds ( also GM and Russian,Czech and German sounds - there is a list of available factory sounds). Many local shops create their own sound files and dowload them into the decoders. The chips have excellent sound processors - one of the best on the market, far ahead of typical sound modules.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Engineer's point of view

Postby DKRickman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:47 pm

I thought I'd jump in here and add something which I think has been sorely lacking in most model discussions - especially those dealing with sound and control.

Aside from the high pitch noise, Bernd's test chassis sounds more like a prototype engine than any other diesel model I have ever heard. I've heard more realistic engine sounds, horns, bells, and whatnot, but I have never heard a model where the engine revved and dropped to idle as prototypically. I've tried all sorts of tricks with CV setting in decoders, and I've never been able to get anything that satisfied me. Maybe it's because I hear the prototype every day, but this is just something that doesn't seem possible with DCC alone. Hopefully Bernd will be able to marry his eddy current drive with the superior sound reproduction from a modern DCC decoder and come up with something stunning.
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby krokodil » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:48 pm

This kind of sound depends very much of the possibilities of the sound chip. How many sound segments are supported and how those segments are assembled ( sometimes you can change something with CVs ). When there is no idle segment of course there is nothing to do.
To get also those sound segments is sometimes challenging, especially when the prototype is far away from you ( or does not exist anymore - many steam locos and old diesels).maybe you can record the sounds :grin:
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 pm

"but I have never heard a model where the engine revved and dropped to idle as prototypically. I've tried all sorts of tricks with CV setting in decoders, and I've never been able to get anything that satisfied me. Maybe it's because I hear the prototype every day, but this is just something that doesn't seem possible with DCC alone"

When I modeled in O scale I used Lionel TMCC with Railsounds and it had a very nice separate engine throttle sound button so the operator could rev up the engine sound to fit the layout view. Works much better doing it that way than trying to program a decoder to see what you are seeing.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby krokodil » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:19 am

There is an example of the factory sound ( first part) and the "shop made" sound on a Nohab/GM engine ( second part of the video).

http://youtu.be/5OKsHM5eXds
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby krokodil » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 pm

The sound quality of the videos is quite good.
Probably i can use them to make the required sound segments. I need some more sounds ( in similar quality) to use for the sound decoders. Usually we need running sound, horns, compressor, brakes, coupler noise and fans. If somebody can deliver some original sounds we will convert them for decoders. ( please avoid doppler effects in the sound recordings)
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion