a good site for US locomotive dimensions

a good site for US locomotive dimensions

Postby scaro » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:07 pm

if folk are concerned about this kind of thing, then this site is good because you'll at least get good plans for everything the pennsy owned. which was a lot of things.

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/

i'm not much of a pennsy fan, as far as i am concerned the ACL was the standard railroad of the USA, but at least it has its uses ...

if you want to convert feet to those handy millimetre things, then you just multiply the foot measurement by 2.54.

if the dimension you need is not just in feet, but has those inches things, then you can just add decimals.

so an inch is .0833, two inches is .16667, three is .25, four is .3333, five is .416, six is umm, .5, seven is .5833, eight is .6666, nine is .75, 10 is .8333, eleven is .9166.

for a loco truck that is 13'7"wheelbase, that becomes 13.5833 x 2.54 to get the TT wheelbase.
scaro

Re: a good site for US locomotive dimensions

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Looks like a good site for dimensions and drawings. I am sure my husband will appreciate it, as one of the routes he models/collects items from is the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:38 pm

CaTTwoman281 wrote:Looks like a good site for dimensions and drawings. I am sure my husband will appreciate it, as one of the routes he models/collects items from is the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Correct, I do appreciate sites like that, but my collection of PRR stuff is more incidental than anything else. Neat railroad, yes. But I also beg to differ regarding it's claims to be the "Standard Railroad of the World".

It looks like the diesel roster page in particular will be of the most use, in my opinion.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:34 am

You should not take any marketing slogans too seriously.
Especially not the one about "The King of the Beers"

For PRR, The Standard Railroad of the World is true in many aspects. If you look at the mistakes they made - bad management, purchase of wrong equipment, insufficient maintenance etc., you can recognize those patterns in most of the railroads worldwide. They have not learned from Pennsy's mistakes. It is a standard :grin:
j p

Postby scaro » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:27 am

I like the ad campaigns in the UK for the supposedly archetypal 'Australian' Fosters beer, which don't tell you that

a. it's made in Manchester

b. it was invented by two Americans who spent about a year in Australia, tops

c. no one much in Australia drinks it, nor have they ever done so. Loyalty to beer in Australia is fiercely parochial and divided up according to state boundaries, and Fosters never came close to being the beer of choice in any state.
scaro

Return to Prototypes / Models