A Big Mean Scary Train...

Talk about anything and everything!

A Big Mean Scary Train...

Postby areibel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Ran into a parade float full of wounded veterans :cry:
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?secti ... id=8887379

I can't figure out what the hell that truck driver must have been thinking, according to the news article the lights and gates were working. But somehow they'll twist it so it's the railroads fault!
I looked it up on Google Earth and zoomed in, no real sight restrictions I could see, just sheer stupidity at work?
areibel

Re: A Big Mean Scary Train...

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm

I read the article just a little while ago. I was wondering the same thing - lights and gates worked, train was using its horn....

I'm very sorry for the people that got killed but! Yes, it will be blamed on the train and, yes - that's b.s.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:34 am

The deepest pockets carry the greatest liability, attorneys see to that for us.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Marquette » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 am

railtwister wrote:The deepest pockets carry the greatest liability, attorneys see to that for us.

Bill in FtL

On the one hand those deepest pockets often got so deep exactly because of lawyers swindling things in their favour. I have no problem at all with large corporations getting hit /hard/ if they do something wrong.

In a case like this, however (I think all started by that idiot and her coffee - or should I say, the idiot /judge/ who ruled in her favour), no. This driver is an idiot, and I feel bad for the passengers. It's a basic rule of driving never to stop on a railway crossing, even if it's empty. Isn't it?

Did the driver die? If not, he needs to be shot. If he did die, he needs to be exhumed and shot.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:36 am

Marquette wrote:If he did die, he needs to be exhumed and shot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Yeah, and there are places like this that will make sure that everyone keeps blaming the railroads-
http://www.angelsontrack.org/

OK, I'm really sorry that this lady's son was killed, but an unsafe crossing gets all to blame? There are minimum sight differences for every crossing, based on track speed and it's a little hard to miss a modern locomotive with the headlights on, ditchlights flashing and the horn sounding. Seems like the Stop Look and Listen part is getting missed big time.
I work part time for a small regional railroad as a signal maintainer. You gotta believe there's a lot that goes into keeping a crossing safe, all based of Federal regs. But yet anytime something happens it's always the railroad getting the blame.
I had one such incident about four years ago. I had inspected a crossing in a small town on a side street, flashers only, no gates. A week later a Pennsylvania State Police cruiser gets hit at the same crossing by an NS coal train! I first heard it on the local news at noon, naturally all the "witnesses" that HEARD it happen said they didn't think the lights were working. My sphincter was severly clenched for several hours wondering what I had done wrong.. Then I got the call from my boss- it was the trooper's fault. Both the camera on the locomotive and her dash cam showed the lights going, the sight distance is great(easily a half mile each way)- turns out she was on her cell phone and looking at a map and drove into the side of the locomotive going 25 MPH. She wasn't badly hurt, car was toast but damn! I wanted to sue them for mental anguish or something!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 pm

General human stupidity will never end. But we happen to think that we as a species are SO smart that when someone does something idiotic we can't handle the idea that someone can do such a thing. So naturally, a scapegoat is needed. The train fits the bill.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Of Course it was always the railroad's fault.... the courts always seemed to agree, awarding millions to the families of poor school-moms who would never have driven their mini-van full of kids on to the tracks... unless the nasty railroad's crossing arms, bells, and lights had malfunctioned !!!

Bad Railroad.. Bad Bad Railroad... PAY!

Then they put cameras in the train cabs. ...end of lawsuits.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby jmass » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:16 am

as a truck driver for 11 years, you are taught never to try and beat the gates down. you stop at first sign of those lights flashing. it sounds like he was stuck in the middle because the truck in front of him stopped. which tells me the guy in front of him should of did whatever possible to get the hell out of the way. no way he couldnt hear that train horn.
jmass

Postby Marquette » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 am

Well, I don't drive, but I understand enough - and have read in driving guides: don't enter the level crossing unless the other side is free, in other words, don't go in if you don't have an immediate way out. This also seems to me to just be common sense, yknow?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Next

Return to Off Topic