9 Foot Power Truck

9 Foot Power Truck

Postby Rob M » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm

I made a little more progress on the truck I'm working on for the Lionel GP-9 (.85 axle to axle). Overall it seems to be working great. I used wipers on the inside of the drivers and wipers between the truck and chassis. It is running for to see how the gears hold up. I'll let it go until something breaks or wears out.

Rob M

Re: 9 Foot Power Truck

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:15 pm

That is bad-ass, man! Good luck to you on your project!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Wow rob that is fantastic will you be offering those for sale should it all work out ok.
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

rob

bloody brilliant, mate.

if you can tell me what plastic it is made out of, i can ask the chassis manufacturers in the 3mm society what their mileage is on it. they have tried a lot of different materials for gears over the years and someone may know.

again, well done.

and to anyone who hasn't bought some of rob's gondolas, i'd say to do so. very well thought out bit of kit.

ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 pm

richardedmonds wrote:Wow rob that is fantastic will you be offering those for sale should it all work out ok.

Maybe. This is more of a test to see if I could make a truck that fits inside of a narrow loco. Best case senario I would prefer just making the trucks for a new engine.

scaro wrote:rob

bloody brilliant, mate.

if you can tell me what plastic it is made out of, i can ask the chassis manufacturers in the 3mm society what their mileage is on it. they have tried a lot of different materials for gears over the years and someone may know.

again, well done.

and to anyone who hasn't bought some of rob's gondolas, i'd say to do so. very well thought out bit of kit.

ben

I'm using ABS, the same as the gondolas & boxcars. If needed it shouldn't be a problem to switch to delrin for the gears.

5 hours and still running smooth!
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Without a bottom on the truck how do the axles stay in place?

After drilling the axle holes I cut a channel for the axle to slide it but stopped it short so the radius of the cutter leaves a small nub (in red) so the axle snaps in. (This was actually just a happy accident that worked out for the best) :thumbup:

Rob M

Postby Rob M » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Axle shaft cutter.

Rob M

Postby scaro » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Rob M wrote:Without a bottom on the truck how do the axles stay in place?

After drilling the axle holes I cut a channel for the axle to slide it but stopped it short so the radius of the cutter leaves a small nub (in red) so the axle snaps in. (This was actually just a happy accident that worked out for the best) :thumbup:

some of the N scale diesels have 'snap in' axles like that so they may have cottoned onto the same idea. interesting series of pics, btw.
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 am

Maybe. This is more of a test to see if I could make a truck that fits inside of a narrow loco. Best case senario I would prefer just making the trucks for a new engine.

Great Rob that to me is more than half the battle and the way I play trains that 5 hours run time will outlast me I reckon. Seriously though this looks very very good well done rob great to see some skills being used again
richardedmonds

Next

Return to General Discussion