9 Foot Power Truck

Re: 9 Foot Power Truck

Postby Rob M » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 am

Sounds good but I can't really sell just a chassis for the GP (need to change the wording on the website). Since I reuse the original chassis I need you to send me yours, or I'll have to pick up the occasional one on eBay. Right now I only have the one above ready to go. I have SP, NYC and Penn bodies but the chassis' are not usable.
Rob M

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 am

Gday Rob

is it possible to just buy the trucks themselves? That's the hard bit ... mounting them on a chassis should not be hard and the chassis can be anything ... a slab of milled brass, thick PCB, even seen hardwood used in N scale.

If I have not said it publicly, Rob's latest boxcar is a great bit of kit, by the way ... do yourselves a favour and order a couple.

Cheers, Ben
scaro

Postby Rob M » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 am

scaro wrote:Gday Rob

is it possible to just buy the trucks themselves?...

Sure, that's pretty much the idea behind making these. Though, the one for the Lionel's isn't a true 9'. It is a little short to match the side frames. I can make them to any size/configuration needed, the one for the HP E7 being an example.

The tricky part would be making the cutout for them in your own chassis (the red bits below). The material needs to be .1" thick but that too can be changed as needed.
Dead image links removed.
Last edited by Rob M on Wed May 02, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob M

Postby Marquette » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 am

A question for those of us who can't make a good brass chassis frame like that... would making custom chassis be a possibility along with the trucks, or no? I imagine that would require a suitable drawing of the shape it needs to be, etc...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am

I'd rather a true 9' truck. I have no interest in using either Lionel trucks or body. I'd imagine I can do a piece of PCB or brass to Rob's template. AFAIK, the chassis plate just needs to retain the trucks, allow a range of movement and that's about it as far as parameters go.
scaro

Postby Rob M » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Here is a DXF file of the cutout for the trucks. The marker point is the actual center of the truck, it is offset a little to allow clearance for the gears inside the truck. This offset will remain the same regardless of the axle configuration.

Dead link removed.
Last edited by Rob M on Wed May 02, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob M

Postby sacto-tt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Rob,

Fantastic work.

Hard to tell, but is there room for a decoder in the F unit or GP?
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby Rob M » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 pm

sacto-tt wrote:Hard to tell, but is there room for a decoder in the F unit or GP?

Your best bet would be with the f3 and putting it under the chassis. Back on page 3 there are pics of the bottom. How big are decoders?
Rob M

Postby sacto-tt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 pm

The DZ123 I plan on using has the following dimensions: 0.36” x 0.55” x 0.13” (9.144mm x 13.97mm x 3.302mm) [W x L x H].

I see, put in in the fuel tank space. That should work on the F unit. Maybe in the cab for the GP. I've done that with some HO switchers.

No extra weight planned for the GP I take it. Barely enough room for a mechanism.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby sacto-tt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 pm

I forgot to ask... I have a Possum Valley F3 B unit. Any idea if the chassis would fit that?
-Joe-
sacto-tt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion