9 Foot Power Truck

Re: 9 Foot Power Truck

Postby Rob M » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
Rob M wrote:Git 'er done! Al can send it to you when he's done reviewing it. That should give you a week or so :lol:

Going as fast as I can...but weather is NOT cooperating :evil:

This weekend looks good for you :thumbup:
Rob M

Postby areibel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm

OK Rob, I'll give it a run.. Maybe if I talk nice to Mr. Collard I can run it on the club layout he's been building (that -We're- supposed to be building, but I'm not much help!)
Wish our weather looked like yours boss- We were 65 today (a record high), tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 29 with 4-6 inches of snow- and that's supposed to continue for the next 4 days or so :thumbdown:
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:40 pm

@Rob :lol:

I may be spending the w/e plugging up a leaking basement :evil: we shall see......
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 am

ConducTTor wrote:@Rob :lol:

I may be spending the w/e plugging up a leaking basement :evil: we shall see......

Well that's not good. Hope it doesn't turn into a major project.
Rob M

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 am

Rob M wrote:Ah ok, did some searching and they are code 64 wheels. Why don't they just call them Proto 64?

because they are for 1:87.1 which is HO scale, but these wheels are what a true scale reduction to that size would be. certainly won't run with regular HO wheels.

i have done some thinking about P87 standards and built a couple of TT trucks with the wheels and a length of track. trouble with them is, they are designed to look 'right' where wider wheels look wrong, but using them means a whole lot of other things are then out of whack and if you don't change those things, the whole thing looks worse than the status quo ... where everything is a bit fudged, but consistently fudged :wink:

for a start, TT trucks, even very good ones such as Gold Coast's, are designed for either code 110 or code 90+ NEM wheels and a standard 18.5mm axle. Iif you switch to proto 87 code 64 wheels they are .030" narrower and on the 18.5mm axle, they just look wrong ... you end up with a big 1mm+ gap between the wheel face and the truck sideframe. So you get a better looking wheel but now have an unprototypical looking truck.

you can just about get away with it using Parkside Dundas code 78 wheels, but if you change to P87 wheels, then you need to use shorter axles, about .660" (16.75mm) and shorten the bolster on the bogies on all your models. i think P87 is good if you want to widen your gauge, say to 5'3" for australia or brazil, but using it on 12mm track would solve one problem but create three or four other headaches.

i think for a loco, code 88 wheels like you have used, look fine, and it is made better by the fact that the coarser wheel profile will largely be invisible particularly on a diesel loco where it will be hidden behind bogies and the pilot.
scaro

Postby Rob M » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Yep, I'll stick with the NWSL code 88's. Just wish it didn't take so long to get them.
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

The sd70ace hood is kicking my butt so I went back to working on this. The axles now have brass sleeves on them. No amount of testing would convince me that metal axles on plastic would hold up. This setup should last a lifetime. I also have a cover over the bottom of the truck and the opening at the top for the worm gear has been removed since I'm now using a smaller worm and don't need the clearence.

Also, I now have a Bismuth alloy(lead free) weight for it. This doubles the engines weight to 8.8oz and makes it run a lot better and quiter. The only thing I don't like about it is I should have put a notch at the front so it isn't seen through the windows. Maybe painting it black would look ok.

Rob M

Postby railtwister » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 am

Hi Rob,

The Bismuth casting looks very smooth and clean, nice job! In the picture, the drive shafts to the trucks seem to have a rather steep angle, but it looks like there is space under the motor that could allow lowering it a bit to reduce the angle. Do you think that would be possible? I really like the axle bearings and covered gearbox.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Rob M » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 am

Yea, that bismuth is pretty easy to work with.

You got a pretty good eye there Bill. That chassis has experimental motor mounts I was trying for isolating vibrations from the motor. Didn't help, and if anything the extra angle probably made it worse :doh: The regular one I have keeps the drive shafts close to level.

Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Kick Haggis! How did you make the weight? I'm having problems keeping vibrations down as well. Got the new Mashima motor which is much better than the Atlas but vibration is still an issue. And working in a narrow hood is a pita.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion