Pretty nice, Rob. Pretty nice.
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: 9 Foot Power Truck

Postby Rob M » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Slow that train down a bit...jeezus... :wink:

Better? :whistle:

This one has 37:1 gear reduction. The scale speed motors had a different flywheel/ujoint that won't work with this setup so I'm still using the faster ones but with the higher gear ratio it seems to be fine. It isn't quite as noisy as the video would suggest but there is definitely some gear noise.

Now if NWSL would get my wheels sent out I might be able to build more than one at a time. :wall:
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Much better! :grin:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm

I think I have this running about as good as its going to get. The truck is now fully enclosed to help keep out dirt and quit it down some. Also found that a lot of the noise was coming from having the motor rigidly mount to the chassis. Using some 1/16" thick double sided tape helped a lot there. The side frames and side skirts make it look a lot better too.

So, who has some track setup and would like to try it out? I don't really want to start selling something like this without first getting someone elses opinion of it.

For wheels, how do you think these would work, http://www.proto87.com/p87stores/frwhls.htm Looks like they are finer than the NWSL code 88's and they are only $1.50 a pair. And they are the only other ones I've found with 2MM axles.
Rob M

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 pm

well, i would try to run those wheels through a TT point and see how far you get, first.

i'd never say never, but being P87 they are very fine and some form of suspension is usually recommended, as they say. but then, i've not tried them in TT, just heard grumbles from other scales.

i think with them they are a commitment ... they don't play well with 'regular' NEM or even regular TT standards, so if you are going to use them ... they need to go on everything.
scaro

Postby Rob M » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Ah ok, did some searching and they are code 64 wheels. Why don't they just call them Proto 64?
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Just looking at those wheels I guarantee they won't stay on commercial track. I'd love to try out the loco but haven't laid down any rail yet :(
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Rob M wrote:Ah ok, did some searching and they are code 64 wheels. Why don't they just call them Proto 64?

Proto 64 is S scale, 1:64- the wheels are code 64 (,064 wide) because in Proto 87 (HO) that's the thickness an actual scale wheel would be. A code 110 wheel that usd to be pretty common in HO scales out to be something like almost 10 inches wide.

I don't know for sure, but you might not have any gauge problems- flangeways on points might be the trickiest, but a lot of that is based on the actual gauging of the wheels, the back to back, etc.. If you built these on TT "standard" gauging (using the Coastal NMRA style gauge and settign the flanges there) they might be fine. Sorry I can't help on the running, I have a little test loop but I doubt that would be any better than running it back and forth on a piece of flex track. I can lend you my roller test stand if you want to do endurance testing though!
areibel

Postby Rob M » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks for the clarification Al. Guess my model railroading ignorance came shining through there :doh: I can still send it to you to get your thoughts. I've run this one about 15 hours and along with the others I'm pretty confident the ABS gears & trucks will hold up well enough. The only others I have to compare it to are the HP E7's which run like crap, and a Piko Taurus which runs like a Swiss watch.

ConducTTor wrote:I'd love to try out the loco but haven't laid down any rail yet

Git 'er done! Al can send it to you when he's done reviewing it. That should give you a week or so :lol:
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 pm

Rob M wrote:Git 'er done! Al can send it to you when he's done reviewing it. That should give you a week or so :lol:

Going as fast as I can...but weather is NOT cooperating :evil:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion