Re: 9 Foot Power Truck

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 pm

What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 am

for wheels around this size, you have NWSL 30", which is closest to 42" wheels with a spot of wear, and NWSL 28" which is close to 40" but with a bit more wear. given the larger flange sizes on model wheels, i think I will opt for 28". modmueller do an 8.3mm wheel which is on a 1.5mm axle, it's not exactly finescale though it does not look like slimming the width to code 88 and turning the flanges a bit would be that hard. i had an idea to mill some into stub axles to convert a spectrum N SD45 into an RSC2 chassis. ... it is just like TT for it to be easier to make an RSC2 than an RS2.
scaro

Postby railtwister » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 am

Hi Rob,

Good work on your drive research! I think I prefer the trucks shown on the first page of the discussion since it holds all the gears in proper alignment. I have never liked some of the N scale designs where the worm is attached to the motor or frame and the gear it drives pivots below with the truck, because I think this encourages wear and requires excess backlash. Also, it being more of a closed gear box will help keep the crud out of the gears and the lube in. I've had locos where the inside of the shell is covered with a fine spray of lube and is quite messy. The worst case was a Rivarossi HO loco that looked like someone had airbrushed a heavy coat of gold paint inside, which was actually a mix of lube and powdered brass from the worm!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am

railtwister wrote:powdered brass from the worm

Wow.......wtf did they design to grind the worm like that? Jesus...
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 pm

rivarossi had nice looking molds but their motors were the pits, sadly. they also built chassis out of a material called zamac which oxidised and perished over time.
scaro

Postby railtwister » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:11 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Wow.......wtf did they design to grind the worm like that? Jesus...

No unusual design, really, just a brass worm driving a plastic (possibly nylon) gear. I don't know if the gears were not correctly matched, or slightly misaligned, unusual or just typical Rivarossi wear & tear. I was working for Model Expo, the Rivarossi importer at that time, and I have never seen anything quite like this before or since, and I probably have spent over thirty year working in the hobby business, most of that time in model trains.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby LVG1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm

railtwister wrote:I've had locos where the inside of the shell is covered with a fine spray of lube and is quite messy. The worst case was a Rivarossi HO loco that looked like someone had airbrushed a heavy coat of gold paint inside, which was actually a mix of lube and powdered brass from the worm!

Powdered metal can be a sign of low quality or of excessive use.

I've seen the metal powder beside the rails of a LGB-layout which had run 16 hours each day for two or three weeks.

But in case of Rivarossi, I'ld rather put my money on low quality.
Rivarossi is Italian. Italians make excellent food. But referring to industrial products, "Italian" is absolutely not a synonym for "Quality"... :P
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Rob M » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 pm

A little more progress. Still runs too fast but it seems there are two types of the atlas/kato motors, regular and scale speed. I have the regular ones so I ordered a few of the scale speed ones to see if they work better. From what I read they run about 60% slower.

Rob M

Postby railtwister » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Rob M wrote:A little more progress. Still runs too fast but it seems there are two types of the atlas/kato motors, regular and scale speed. I have the regular ones so I ordered a few of the scale speed ones to see if they work better. From what I read they run about 60% slower.

Hi Rob,
Apparently with a new Chinese sub-contractor for Atlas products, there may now be three types of motors, since the most recent run of the Atlas N scale GP7/9 was reviewed on the web very recently, and the new motors are reported to be somewhere between the earlier hi-speed units and the ones called "scale speed" in RPM. The new handrails have been noted to be several thousandths of an inch thicker as well.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Rob, kickassness :thumbup:

Slow that train down a bit...jeezus... :wink:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion