9 Foot Power Truck

Re: 9 Foot Power Truck

Postby WillYart » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:29 am

I am in awe at this.
WillYart

Postby Rob M » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am

After letting it run for about 30 hours I took one of the trucks apart. There was pretty much no wear on the gears, so that's good. Overall though I'm not really happy with it. It doesn't run silky smooth like I was hopping for. Soooo...

The past couple of days I've been designing a truck with a symmetrical gear layout. I think this type of design is inherently better than the tower design. The torque from the motor can't apply a twisting force to the truck. And there should be an equal amount of play in the gears between the worm and axles. We'll see...

Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:56 am

Rob M wrote:The past couple of days I've been designing a truck with a symmetrical gear layout. I think this type of design is inherently better than the tower design. The torque from the motor can't apply a twisting force to the truck. And there should be an equal amount of play in the gears between the worm and axles.

Very plausible. The results should be interesting. :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Geeeeeeeezzzzzzz! Miss a day (or a couple weeks) of reading the TT Nut digest, and you miss a lot. Rob, me, too. Wonderful work you're doing. Innovative!

Richard E. asked you, ". . . will you be offering those for sale should it all work out ok." To which you replied, "Maybe. . . . Best case senario I would prefer just making the trucks for a new engine."

To which I add, "Whose engine?" Are you planning to make an entire loco? Or, would you consider making truck/gearboxes for other producers? Or, would you consider leasing your design to other producers?

Why re-invent the wheel (and gearbox) if your (gearbox) and wheels roll effortlessly? <g>

-Brian Chapman / Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Rob M » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:31 pm

I don't plan on making a complete loco. That's too work for me.

My idea is to create a universal chassis system that can be fit to any size loco. Having rails that can be cut to length and then the truck pivots can be placed where needed. And eventually different size/configurations of trucks.

ConnRiver wrote:Why re-invent the wheel (and gearbox) if your (gearbox) and wheels roll effortlessly?

My first attempt works but not as well as I would like. Just figured I would try a few different types before deciding which way to go.

ConnRiver wrote:Or, would you consider leasing your design to other producers?

That's also an option.
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Well, after a few attempts I finally got this design running. Of the two designs I think I prefer this one, though it is a bit more work. I also switched to a Kato N motor. These are a lot smoother running than the NWSL ones I've been using and seem to have plenty of power.

My next step is to start all over from scratch. The first thing I need to do is get the gear ratio down a bit. This one has about a 15:1 ratio and runs too fast. I'm hoping to get it down to around 30:1. I'm also going to do away with the wipers between the truck and chassis. The thin wire I've been using works fine.
Rob M

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 pm

i imagine this would be a lot of use. well done rob. what wheels are on it? NWSL code 88?

if that's the standard for US work then that's what i'll use. i'm coming round to elmer's view that they are fine enough.

in UK N they even get away with code 88. i think N motors are fine. they seem to have no problem hauling huge loads in N and i don't think any of us has trains that long with our limited range of stuff.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Looking really good Rob. Just out of curiosity, have you tried an Atlas N scale motor? That's what I'm using since they're easily available on Ebay. I'm also interested to know what wheels those are - I'm using Halling wheels (which are what's used on Lok-n-Roll chassis).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Yep, those are NWSL 30"(HO) code 88 wheels. Does Halling have a website? I'd be curoius to see what all they offer. Always good to have more sources.

Just had a quick look at some Atlas N scale motors on eBay. Looks like the same motor but a little cheaper so that's good.

I'm still undecided which type of truck I'm going with but I am leaning toward the first one. The problem I had with it turned out to be that the wipers were to stiff and were acting like brakes.
Rob M

Postby dileTTante » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm

dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion