Postby Marquette » Sat May 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Loads... pulpwood loaded crosswise, or perhaps wrappages of plywood like this:

http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: 62' Bulkhead Flatcar scratchbuild.

Postby CN-TT » Sat May 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Joe, I AM IMPRESSED!!! :clap:
(Maybe you can change the white balance on your camera!?)

Bjoern
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby areibel » Sat May 10, 2014 8:07 pm

One question- are those the HOn3 trucks you were talking about? That looks like an easy conversion.
And maybe your bosses wouldn't notice a new mold for a 100 ton roller bearing sideframe (if the bolster and wheels are already done)? :shifty:
areibel

Postby j p » Sat May 10, 2014 8:41 pm

areibel wrote:One question- are those the HOn3 trucks you were talking about? That looks like an easy conversion.
And maybe your bosses wouldn't notice a new mold for a 100 ton roller bearing sideframe (if the bolster and wheels are already done)? :shifty:

Trucks which are not available in TT would help much more. It would be quite hard to match the beautiful 70 and 100 tons roller bearing trucks from Art&Detail with moving covers...

It is up to you, of course. I just don't like to see people doing double work. The NA TT scale community is very small and most of the "projects" are non-profit. So trying to compete with somebody else's product, a top quality product in this case, is likely to cause losses on both sides.
Try to work together for the benefit of the TT scale community. There will be a place for competition when/if the number of active modelers increases from those 25 to at least 250.
Increasing the diversity helps. Same thing made by 2 different manufacturers does not help. Same thing made by 3 or more manufacturers is destructive (see the situation with European TT)
j p

Postby areibel » Sat May 10, 2014 9:18 pm

What trucks would you suggest?
I agree, Michael did a beautiful job on his trucks. If I could afford to I would equip every car I want to run with them. But at over $24 a pair (not including postage)I can't spend that much to equip 40-50 freight cars. I'll gladly buy them for the best models, but I wish we had an alternative for the regular "runner" cars.
areibel

Postby Marquette » Sat May 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Trucks I would suggest...

Andrews (can't repeat this enough!):
Andrews - 1.jpg

These were used in enormous numbers after arch bar trucks were banned from interchange - they were one of the most common trucks around in the mid-late steam era and through the transition era until 1957, when they were in turn banned from interchange... though of course they lasted for decades later in MoW and other on-line service.

Bettendorf U-section:
bettendorf u 50t.jpg

The "stereotypical" freight car truck. There were several variants of this (aka the AAR 50t cast-sideframe truck) but they all generally looked like this. Trucks like this were around from like the 1930s until not long ago... friction-bearing trucks were banned from interchange in 1995. So you'd definitely see lots of these in the 60s and into the 70s, though the further along you go the rarer they get, of course. But, with the Andrews: vital.

Also note that Gold Coast's truck (will those continue in production? That is a *huge* question!), which is an ASF A-3 Ride Control truck, does NOT fall into the above category, and if you look, it's not hard to spot the differences:
ASF A-3 Ride Control.jpg

National Type B:
National Type B.jpg
National Type B.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 451 times

This wasn't around in as great number as the first two, but they were around... and probably were the most common of the /very/ distinctive truck types.

There are many others that would be important - 6-wheel Buckeye trucks, Commonwealth express trucks, various caboose trucks (distinguishable by having leaf springs instead of coils) but I would say these three are the most significant lacks... especially the first two.
Marquette

Postby j p » Sat May 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Freight: Andrews, Dalman, maybe even Allied Full Cushion?
We have ASF, Bettendorf, roller bearing, 3 types of archbar (hard to get though), archbar caboose truck with leaf springs
The new tank car which was discussed here on the board earlier will probably have some trucks too?
What I need much more are trucks for passenger cars. The ones I use for light weight cars are made of resin and far from perfect.

edit: Marquette is the expert and replied much better than me.
j p

Postby Rob M » Sat May 10, 2014 10:33 pm

areibel wrote:What trucks would you suggest?
I agree, Michael did a beautiful job on his trucks. If I could afford to I would equip every car I want to run with them. But at over $24 a pair (not including postage)I can't spend that much to equip 40-50 freight cars. I'll gladly buy them for the best models, but I wish we had an alternative for the regular "runner" cars.

Something like this?

Marquette wrote:...6-wheel Buckeye trucks...

j p wrote:What I need much more are trucks for passenger cars.

Rob M

Postby Marquette » Sat May 10, 2014 10:41 pm

j p wrote:Freight: Andrews, Dalman, maybe even Allied Full Cushion?

The Allied Full Cushion didn't last very long... they were banned pretty quickly after several serious derailments... but they are definitely an interesting-looking truck. But for express cars the Commonwealth truck was vastly more widespread.

We have ASF, Bettendorf, roller bearing, 3 types of archbar (hard to get though), archbar caboose truck with leaf springs

My issue with the "Bettendorf" trucks we have available is that they're... not really anything specific (that I could tell, anyways!).

Where is the archbar caboose truck from? Got a pic? A cast-sideframe caboose truck is still pretty needed since they were more common than archbars, post-war...

@Rob M - stand by for a PM.
Marquette

Postby areibel » Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree!
We're getting back to the differences in Era. For all the examples that were given, how many would have been found under Rob's Railbox or waffle side cars? Or most of the other new rolling stock available now? The Bettendorf's, but the rest? They weren't in interchange in the time I want to model. They were gone by 1955 or 56.
For years if you asked anyone in TT what era they'd model they'd say Transition era. They had to! When the newest locomotive available was either an Alco FA or an EMD E7 along with HP steamers it was the only game in town. Now we have a choice, with locomotives we have now we can cover a much wider range.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion