50' Railbox

Re: 50' Railbox

Postby j p » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:02 pm

railtwister wrote:Hi Rob,

Pictures of boxcars don't always show the roof due to the angle of the viewpoint if taken from ground level, but there are some on the web that were taken from higher vantage points. After reading your last post, I went looking for some examples of such photos, and I found some at <http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?road=RBOX&cid=2>. I also found some others at random locations us the search words "railbox cars photos". I noticed a couple of things I hadn't noticed before, 1) in the photos depending on the lighting condition and age of the cars, some of the roofs actually looked white rather than silver or metallic gray, 2) I didn't see any evidence of the frosty separation of colors between the roof and sides on Railbox cars (though I have seen this on other schemes), and 3) on some cars, even though the roof is supposed to be galvanized, there is a lot of rust (maybe due to "acid rain"?).

All this points out is that sometimes evidence gleaned from just photos alone can be misleading. In any event, thanks for your efforts in making both the Railbox cars and the Gons a reality in TT scale!

Bill in FtL

Sorry for late response:
The rust can come from brakes and is deposited on the top of the galvanized layer (and everywhere else too), especially in a rainy weather. I have noticed some DMUs here with very "rusty" sides and roof, but all the rust disappeared when running them through a washing line...
j p

Postby Rob M » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:29 pm

MacG wrote:@Rob M: comes there some models more like the single plug door or the 60' variant?

I'm not sure what I may add next. The TTx may be too new for most layouts. If I remember right the Railbox was borderline and these came out afterward. I have the Waffle sided car ready to go. And I am planning on setting up a webpage for ordering individual boxcar parts.

Problem is, Windows 8.1 is wreaking havoc on the program I sell and I've been working almost nonstop on trying to come up with a solution for it. Once I do find a solution it will probably take a month or so to incorporate it into the program. Then I should have some time to get back to TT stuff. UGHH!
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Rob M wrote:And I am planning on setting up a webpage for ordering individual boxcar parts.

Yes! That would be super.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby MacG » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:36 am

Okay the TTX is too new. How about a model with a single plug door?
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Rob M » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

MacG wrote:Okay the TTX is too new. How about a model with a single plug door?

Sure, which one? Probably best to start a new topic where we can decide.
Rob M

Postby MacG » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby shoofly » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:53 am

Hey everyone, new to the forum and to TT scale, I'm interested in this project. :)

I'll look into doing a run of Microscale 87-1291 in TT scale

The decal set covers the ABOX and the RBOX in the 1970's-1980s scheme for Evans-SEICO, ACF, Berwick, FMC, PC&F, Pullman Standard cars. For more proto info on railbox cars, Jim Eager wrote a series for the now defunct Railmodel Journal hosted by trainlife.com http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/page ... 999-page-6

Chris
shoofly

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:44 am

Hey Chris, welcome aboard! I'd be interested in the set when it's ready.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:24 am

I like these cars, they have heaps of character, much like the older single sheathed cars.

However, as I am a solidly pre-1970 modeller, the Railbox car in particular is a case of Maxwell Smart’s ‘missed by that much’ … the pre-1970 cars in the RailModel Journal article Shoofly posted all varied a bit from the Railbox car, most notably in number of side panels and use of stamped 'waffles' on the SCL and L&N cars.

Annoying in one way as SCL 20150-20749, perhaps the first ‘Railbox style’ cars built, in 1967, were not only very distinctive but seemed to get all over the place, as soon as they were introduced … they didn’t just use them on mainlines. You see pictures of Macon Road and other branchline mixed trains with the SCL cars coupled to antiques like the Georgia’s rebuilt USRA s/s boxcars and the ‘Y’all Lines rebuilt XM1s.

I have managed to get a casting of the Stanray roof and ends. It was done, perhaps as a trial, by Kenn Borst (a big thank you to the donor!) so masters for SCL and L&N sides suggest themselves as an idea. I am not up for manufacturing, btw, but happy to hand things I do onto those who want to, in certain circumstances.

I should say welcome on board to Chris (shoofly) as well, that is a very handy article you linked to.

Ben
Last edited by scaro on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby CSD » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Hello Chris aka shoofly. Good to see you made it over. Whatever you're prepared to do, I'm in too.
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models