50 foot boxcar

50 foot boxcar

Postby rdikken » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:13 am

Hi TT-fans,

A few of you have known that since the start of the sales of the SW1200, I was thinking to produce a boxcar in the same quality as the GC cars. (If possible better.) Marquette, you know the discussion about the X31.

In this discussion I decided to go for a 50 foot boxcar, because there is nothing really affordable present. (With affordable I mean around 50€.) But still some producers have created a modern 50 foot boxcar and because the market is small, it is not wise to make things double. Let's discuss what there is:
- Lok-n-Roll: plans a PS/1 50 foot boxcar
- Art & Detail: has the High Cube 50 foot box car
- Siggis: the waffle 50 foot box car
- Rob M: Berwick boxcar

As you can see there are some modern cars, not sure if they are available in the NA, but that is another discussion.

Now the tank cars built by MTB are quite modern, they were used from 1967 till now. (And probably we will produce also the straight frameless UTLX tank car, used from 1954 till now.) Saying this and searching for something new, not on the market, I thought about the 50 foot AAR postwar boxcar, which would be available in many liveries. I would produce a minimal of 1500 pieces in one batch, which would be in 2 versions, every version in 2 liveries and every livery with 3 or 4 car numbers.

Now my questions to you:
- how about the postwar AAR boxcar? Is it a good choice or do you have a better suggestion?
- trucks, Barber S2?
- which versions? Single door, double door, superior door or plugin door?
- which railroad company, there are many, I would say not more than four. (At least SP)

Understand that this is not an easy decision for me. In principal I should be able to sell a large part of the tank cars and selling this box car should be done in 3 a 4 years. The decision to produce, not to produce or to postpone will be taken around December 2015 / January 2016.

Ciao,
Rob Dikken

PS, perhaps another question, what about crowd funding?
rdikken

Re: 50 foot boxcar

Postby areibel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:44 am

Hi Rob,
I think a 50 foot car is a good choice, the era I want to model (late 1960's- mid 1970's) they were as common as the 40 foot cars.

And for doors, why not make the car with blank sides (no door at all) and offer different doors to add to it? The door and tracks could be resin cast as one piece, all the modeler would have to do is to measure carefully for the location and glue it on.
If you are thinking about ready to run it would be a little more work for the assembler, but if you look at one car manufacturer they would offer whatever door the railroad wanted- 6 foot through 10 foot wide, single or double, ribbed or built up, etc..
Maybe it wouldn't be practical, but considering the number of cars that used the same body with different doors you could kill a bunch of birds with one stone!
areibel

Postby Arseny » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

Hello, Rob.

50ft postwar boxcar? Good news! :dance:

I think that postwar AAR boxcar is a good choice. I model 1950s, so it will be suitable one. I will buy some, if you produce it.
High Cube, Waffle or Berwick boxcars are too modern for me. PS/1 would be also a good model, but if Lok-n-Roll is already planning to make it... I think you've made a good choice!
(Especially if you'll sell them at lower price than Lok-n-Roll ones! :wink: )

As concerns trucks - it does not matter for me. I like Gold Coast's ones, so maybe it makes sence to co-operate with Lok-n-Roll? But maybe Barber S-2 will also be good.

Which versions? I like single door or superior door versions. Double door version seems ugly for me. Were there any boxcars (not reefers) with plugin doors?

Which railroad? As for me, I have SOO Line version of SW1200 and DSS&A steam locomotive, so I would be glad to get SOO version. But I am not sure, if SOO owned such boxcars?
In any case, some Midwestern railroads will be good. Maybe Western Maryland, or Illinois Central, or something else like that. And I think any big railroad will be good too!
Arseny

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense once you've decided on the car to produce the four most populous series in the era selected?
Tom Dempsey

Postby rdikken » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:18 pm

@ areibel
It would be RTR car, everything is painted and printed, leaving the door open, would make it more complex, I think, but I will discuss this with the tech guys.

@ arseny, SOO is a possibility, it would fit to my SOO SW1200 switcher. With versions I mean a mechanical difference. A 50 foot boxcar with a single superior door is another version compared to a car with a youngstown door. So I can make two mechanical different cars. (The diffrence could also be the roof.)

@ Tom
In principle you are right. But perhaps do I have a partner which would get his share of the populous railroad companies. I will select at least SP, the rest is open.

Rob
rdikken

Postby j p » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Pennsy version for me please, shadow keystone scheme.
AAR50ft.jpg

I think that cars painted boxcar red high gloss but not printed, ready for decals could sell in larger numbers than any road because 50' boxcars in a decent quality has been missing for a long time. This way of undecorated cars would not limit the number of cars one could buy without duplication. Maybe you could consider those too to get the investment in molds paid back faster? The price for such cars can be the same as for the ones with print.

The idea with the various doors glued onto the sides is not bad. It would work for the doors of the same width only because you'd have to make a recess in the side to place the door in. I have seen it on some PVM resin kit. Trying to make it without the recess would mean very thin doors which would not be easy to make.
How about to take the idea one step further and make a segmented mold where you could change the door part? (as Piko does on their new models) If it is a resin project, then segmented master instead. Separately sold undecorated parts (roof, ends, sides, doors, underframe, trucks) with many variants to chose from would be a carbuilder-modeler's dream.
j p

Postby rdikken » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:37 am

Hi guys,

Thank for your reactions.

Keep in mind that I try to enlarge the user group. From 50 in the US, I want to get 1000 or more in 4 a 5 year. Meaning I have to persuade N or H0 users to switch to TT.

Resin does not give me the right quality and is too expensive if I want to sell larger quantities. This boxcar should be as good or even better than the Gold Coast boxcars. But a boxcar painted in brown without printings is also an idea, which I will try with a black tank car. But It will not be much cheaper.

And also in this case, I will do it if I know what there will be coming in brown, perhaps that typical Pennsy brown. So I have to have a detailed product planning.

I would like to have some more reactions.

What about crowd funding?

Ciao,
Rob
rdikken

Postby j p » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:40 am

The brown boxcar without print does not have to be cheaper than the others because the idea is not to compete with your pad printed decoration. It saves the modeler time and money when making other versions than the one you'd produce. I'd just sell them for the same as the "normal" cars.

Funding: which way? Do you want to sell shares or should we just order and pay for the boxcars in advance?
j p

Postby rdikken » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:19 am

Regarding funding; just the idea.

Don't know how this will work out.
rdikken

Postby Tom Dempsey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:19 pm

That "typical Pennsy brown" is called Tuscan, for your undecorated boxcar (and I'd recommend you also think of a dimensional data only car in addition), I'd think you'd want to go with Oxide Red, Freight Car Red, or Rich Oxide Brown which would all be far for appropriate colors for a non-PRR owned car. Of course, the best way to put an undecorated plastic car on the market in my opinion is raw plastic, then the color suits everybody.
Tom Dempsey

Next

Return to General Discussion