50 foot boxcar

Re: 50 foot boxcar

Postby rdikken » Thu May 14, 2015 10:19 am

Perhaps an overview of the characteristics of this 50 foot boxcar:

Single door (GBW, NP, PRR, Erie):
Roof: diagonal panel roof, riveted, Apex roofwalk and plastic grab irons
Ends: 1 3 / 4 dreadnought end, b-side with plastic Ajax brake wheel, plastic brake platform, board placard, grab irons and ladders
Sides: 8 feet Youngstown door with place of the board placard depending on railroad company, 8 double riveted panels to the left and right of the door, plastic grab irons and ladders
Bottom: standard AAR bottom construction with brake system imitation and detailed Barber S2 50 tons trucks with friction bearing

Double door (SP):
Roof: identical as single door
Ends: identical as single door
Sides: 7 ft plugin + 8 ft youngstown door, placard board on the youngstown door, down right of the door, 4 double riveted panels on the left and 6 panels on the right
Bottom: identical as single door

Please correct this when I am wrong.

Ciao,
Rob
rdikken

Postby sacto-tt » Thu May 14, 2015 11:12 am

I'll take 4 NP single door and 10 SP double door. I will also need a new place to live when I get kicked out of the house. :mrgreen: :lol:
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby j p » Thu May 14, 2015 11:55 am

Rob, the ladders and grabirons would be molded in the sides/ends or glued to them separately?
It makes a difference. The first option is cheaper to manufacture, but the potential sales are lower.
j p

Postby gerhard_k » Thu May 14, 2015 1:57 pm

j p wrote:Rob, the ladders and grabirons would be molded in the sides/ends or glued to them separately?
It makes a difference. The first option is cheaper to manufacture, but the potential sales are lower.

Having the ladders and grab irons separate would not only better please the more serious modelers, but would also allow the *really* serious modelers to more easily forward-date the cars to 1966+, when new cars were required to have low-mounted brake wheels and no running boards, so full-height ladders were no longer applied; this is shown in some of the photos in this thread.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby j p » Thu May 14, 2015 2:27 pm

gerhard_k wrote:
j p wrote:Rob, the ladders and grabirons would be molded in the sides/ends or glued to them separately?

Having the ladders and grab irons separate would not only better please the more serious modelers, but would also allow the *really* serious modelers to more easily forward-date the cars to 1966+, when new cars were required to have low-mounted brake wheels and no running boards, so full-height ladders were no longer applied; this is shown in some of the photos in this thread.

Yes, that is my point, and not only for kitbashing. It would allow the manufacturer to make these cars in 1966+ version without making a new mold.
j p

Postby rdikken » Thu May 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi all,

Everything is free standing and will be added and glued to the house, roof or bottom: Grab irons, ladders, brake wheel, roof walk, etc. Only with board placards on the doors and ends, I am not sure.

Ciao,
Rob
rdikken

Postby rdikken » Fri May 15, 2015 5:40 am

The kit will be the single door boxcar with 3 different doors, plugin, youngstown and superior. I am not sure if I provide a wooden and a Apex roofwalk with it, I think only the Apex.

The kit will be delivered in 2 colours, that Pennsylvania Tuscan red and another freight car brown colour.

In principle we will have 1000 pcs printed and 500 pcs unprinted cars. If things get too expensive I will try the 500 pcs printed and the 1000 pcs unprinted version.

Please Tom Dempsey, JP, Marquette and others, if you see problems, errors or whatever, react!

Understand that this should be the start of several projects. A 40 ft postwar boxcar and the RS11 are also a part of my dreams. Profit is not the main goal, but I want of course my money back. The main goal is to rise the Phoenix.

After your reaction and perhaps some corrections, I will come with a planning and a short project documentation. And I need two volunteers willing to check the drawings of the supplier.

Kind regards,
Rob
rdikken

Postby j p » Fri May 15, 2015 6:39 am

One error: The color for the Pennsy car should be Freight Car Color (not Tuscan Red).
There was a different version for 1950s and 1960s. I'd suggest to use 1950s Pennsy Freight Car Color.
Munsell Number: 8.70R 3.03/5.89

Reference: http://pennsyrr.com/index.php/freight/86-modeling/172-paints
j p

Postby sacto-tt » Fri May 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Rob, when you say "printed" do you mean just painted brown? Earlier the plan was for R-T-R cars in several schemes. Just trying to determine what the product will be. Naturally anything will be greatly appreciated.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby MacG » Fri May 15, 2015 2:16 pm

I think, he means with printed decorated cars.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion