50 foot boxcar

Re: 50 foot boxcar

Postby j p » Thu May 07, 2015 2:37 pm

MacG wrote:I have rechecked my posted pictures. The CNW is only similar, but the CSS 1526 should by the same car type.

It looks similar - except for the sides. I'd suggest using an undecorated car from Rob and adding decal rivets to the sides.
j p

Postby rdikken » Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 am

Hi guys,

I am now a bit doubting. I was planning to do the double door version with fishbelly sill, but having enough single door cars and not really liking these double door cars, perhaps I come back to the cars with a plugin door or a plugin door combined with a youngstown one, like the one below.

But I did not prepare an overview.

I would suggest to look first at the double door presentation. After this weekend I will make a presentation with plugin door cars.

Regarding bringing on the market it is my feeling; first single doors, then plugin doors and last but not least double doors.

Please give me your reaction.

Ciao,
Rob
Attachments
dd2f1milw13293.JPG
Milwaukee car with plugin and Youngstown door
Double door 50 ft AAR boxcar with fishbelly sill.pdf
(739.83 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
rdikken

Postby areibel » Fri May 08, 2015 10:06 am

I want to make your life more complicated, so-
http://rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el69277alb.jpg
One big plug door, for an insulated boxcar? These are known as the Cool Whip cars (so they were painted blue), they were purchased by the manufacturer and leased to the EL to use for their products coming out of New Jersey.

(Just kidding, the single doors are what I am most interested in, after that either version of double door or plug/ sliding will be greatly appreciated!)
areibel

Postby Richard-B » Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 am

areibel wrote:http://rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el69277alb.jpg
One big plug door, for an insulated boxcar? These are known as the Cool Whip cars (so they were painted blue)<snip>
Yea... but for a model... I'm always afraid the Cool Whip will leak out and gum up my turnouts! <VBG>

Seriously... the wide Plug Door was set-up to allow fork-lift loading of full pallets of frozen Cool Whip in case lots, directly from the cold-storage warehouse into the insulated box car (RBL).

Here is a detail drawing of a typical plug door:
Stanrail_FULL_catalog_brochure 17.pdf
Stanrail Plug Door
(21.5 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby areibel » Fri May 08, 2015 11:09 am

I always wondered about that- they were insulated but not refrigerated, how long would it last without serious thawing?
I was told once that they used dry ice but I don't see any sort of opening to let the CO2 vent.
And this car wouldn't be correct- the full side sills would be an easy fix, but I think the roof is a "X" panel and I don't want the Roof Police breaking my door down at 1:00 AM!
areibel

Postby gerhard_k » Fri May 08, 2015 1:07 pm

rdikken wrote:I am now a bit doubting. I was planning to do the double door version with fishbelly sill, but having enough single door cars and not really liking these double door cars, perhaps I come back to the cars with a plugin door or a plugin door combined with a youngstown one, like the one below.

Regarding bringing on the market it is my feeling; first single doors, then plugin doors and last but not least double doors.

Please give me your reaction.

@Rob - I also don't much like the double-door cars, but I really like the plug-and-sliding combo version, as in resources/b-50-35/8904 - after the single door.
If you want to make a plug-door-only version, I would probably get one of those too :dance:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby rdikken » Fri May 08, 2015 1:49 pm

@Gerhard,

That would be the right one. These cars are mentioned in the Thompson book. And of course the car below, but perhaps it is the wrong railroad company, we have it already in the first barch. (Or not, Al.)

Ciao,
Rob
Attachments
dd2f2el68889.jpg
rdikken

Postby j p » Fri May 08, 2015 2:12 pm

I don't see anything wrong on that railroad company. The 1st batch is a different car.
If it fits the specs for the model - ends, sides, doors, roof, details - then why not?

Maybe not the same, but similar:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 08, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby areibel » Fri May 08, 2015 2:19 pm

rdikken wrote:@Gerhard,

That would be the right one. These cars are mentioned in the Thompson book. And of course the car below, but perhaps it is the wrong railroad company, we have it already in the first barch. (Or not, Al.)

Ciao,
Rob

LOL!
Quit teasing me Rob! You know if you put an EL diamond on a wood stock car I would probably buy it!
areibel

Postby rdikken » Sat May 09, 2015 5:58 am

Hi Al,

Of course I was a bit teasing.

Leading in this case is SP, which has a bit different sill and six riveted side panels. So, I am not sure if Erie fits in this pattern. Also Milwaukee probably not, they have welded sides.

I have to check out the rest.

Rob
rdikken

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion