40' stock car on shapeways

40' stock car on shapeways

Postby scaro » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:28 am

http://www.shapeways.com/model/711147/4 ... aterial=60

looks interesting. has anyone ordered one and if so, i'm wondering how it turned out?

cheers, ben
scaro

Re: 40' stock car on shapeways

Postby MacG » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:26 am

No one has ordered it. The StockCar Body should be printable. I have it let print at a Objet Eden printer. The same like Shapeways. I don't like the roof with the printing lines and the material. The doors works with Shapeways.

I think about a complete body with doors. The frame is milled in brass, because of the NMRA-Car-Weight. I can add the frame in Black Strong Flexible, but then is the weight too slight.

Now I'm working on it, to produce a kit, which contains resin cast parts and a brass frame.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby scaro » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 pm

thanks. which railroad owned this particular design of car?
scaro

Postby Marquette » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 am

Well with a roof like that and the Murphy ends it'd definitely have been rebuilt with a new roof late in life... it'd probably do better to have a Hutchins or other older style of roof.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 am

you may have a point there. i wonder if it' based on an N or HO car. however, i assume stock cars did get rebuilt.

i like the roof but agree it might be best given a home on top of something else.
scaro

Postby MacG » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 pm

The roof style was on a AAR 1951 stock car. I have use a different end, found in the "Car Builders' Cyclopedia - Twelfth Edition 1928". The model in H0 had the same ends like Gold Coast. I wanted to build a another for kitbash and for more change at model railroad. The correct AAR 1951 end is also an option.

I think the CN and the UP had this Design. At UP you see the roof from my model. They owned the AAR 1951 design. Also seen similar at MP, IC and KCS. The last with "Murhpy" ends. ;)
MacG

Postby scaro » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 am

thank you. this is very handy information. do you know where the images of the MP and IC cars are? they may be very useful.

regards, ben
scaro

Postby MacG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:07 pm

I have found them at "Stock Car Cyclopedia - Volume 1 by Robert L. Hundman".
Here is a MP Stock Car.
MacG

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Can't tell on the UP car, but the CN car (and the MP car linked by MacG) the end is definitely a Dreadnaught, so not like on the CAD. It's a bit hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure the CN car doesn't look like it has diagonal-panel roof.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 am

the roof and the end and the side would be good products on their own. the printing orientation for flat pieces is likely to come up better than a one piece 3-D model.

if you offer those in FUD, i would certainly buy them.

i'm not sure i can justify the stock car though, particularly in WSF as it will come out furry ... and i'm still not 100% sure that with that combination of end and roof that it really has a prototype.

(i cannot see the roof and end of the UP car to confirm, but to me, both the MP and CN cars look like they have a different roof.)

regards, ben
scaro

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models