3SMR TT trucks and other products

Re: 3SMR TT trucks and other products

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:06 pm

You could well be right Ben, one of the problems of course is the apparent fear of etched brass kits from a wide range of TT'ers, of course though I have been enlightened by the 3mm society models so do not count myself amongst them. This fear though is a real shame, because I do feel small investment in even CAD drawing can result in better than superb models in a relatively short time. Maybe I will email Malcolm again as you said, something might change if I do
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:08 pm

richardedmonds wrote:.........one of the problems of course is the apparent fear of etched brass kits from a wide range of TT'ers.......

That's strange. Any idea why? Is it simply a lack of experience with such kits?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:01 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Is it simply a lack of experience with such kits?

Yes, definately and a lack of time additionaly. Most TT'ers here never touch any of such kits, they're primarily model consumers not builders.

Possibly it would help to start a poll to see how many guys are interested. Then we could make a real request - as a group. :?:
Last edited by Zs12 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zs12

Postby areibel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:11 pm

I think that's it exactly. With the possible exception of the On3 crowd, soldering has gotten to be more and more a lost art among all modelers since the 60's. ANd anything new (or old!) seems to be scary. I started one of the Coastal/ Ingo S. Airslides a while ago with some encouragement from Matt Coleman and others. It really wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared! The only thing special was an electronics tech gave me some .025 solder, it worked like a dream and I know where to buy more. I'ts been sitting about half done just for a lack of time, but after it's finished then I'm going on to the SW1200.
I emailed Malcom when I placed an order a couple weeks ago, I told him then I'd be interested in one or two. Maybe we do need everyone to start emailing him and reminding him of it.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm

areibel wrote:I think that's it exactly. With the possible exception of the On3 crowd, soldering has gotten to be more and more a lost art among all modelers since the 60's. ANd anything new (or old!) seems to be scary. I started one of the Coastal/ Ingo S. Airslides a while ago with some encouragement from Matt Coleman and others. It really wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared! The only thing special was an electronics tech gave me some .025 solder, it worked like a dream and I know where to buy more. I'ts been sitting about half done just for a lack of time, but after it's finished then I'm going on to the SW1200.
I emailed Malcom when I placed an order a couple weeks ago, I told him then I'd be interested in one or two. Maybe we do need everyone to start emailing him and reminding him of it.

At the risk of sounding like I am trying to blow my own horn loudly, but I have received advanced training in soldering of small electrical devices and electronics. I have been soldering for years before I joined the Navy, and my experience with soldering N scale power leads helped me take 1st in the class for the soldering section of the ETMS (Electronics Technician Maintenance School) program that I went to, back when I was on the USS Annapolis and had an actual mission in life.

I have very little going on right now, and I am on leave for the next two weeks, so I have plenty of time to post lessons and such on soldering, if anyone is interested.

I did some lessons in soldering on the Trains.com modeler's section, going into detail on definitions and theory. I will have to see if I can find those pages anymore.

My soldering station was packed up months ago, so taking pictures of the soldering process in action are not going to happen until I get out of ct and set-up in North Dakota. I do have a plethora of drawings and graphs that I can post, though.

Soldering should be a skill that anyone involved with model railroading should at least be familiar with.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:24 pm

I've done a lot of electrical and electronic soldering, but this is a little different.
I always had been told that it was hard to get everthing aligned, holding in place, adding details once the body was soldered together, etc., you need two different irons, three or four different solders with different melt temps- a whole bunch of BS.
I did the current project with an adjustable temp Weller soldering station that was less than $50 and the fine solder. I still have to solder the roof on and then inset and solder in the base, but I think it will just be a matter of getting the time to do it.
And I think I know where some of the scary ledgends come from. The old brass kits were mainly a lot of cast boilers and parts, that's when you need a big iron or even a small torch to get everything warmed up. And then trying to keep it all together when adding the smaller detail, that would have been a little hairy. But etched kits are pretty straight forward, it's just thinking ahead to how to support it, hold the next piece in place, etc.. not bad at all.
areibel

Postby Marquette » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:36 pm

This is something I eventually want to get to doing, too... but it'll probably have to wait until after my transcontinental relocation.

But... can etched kits not also be glued? I've read that in several cases, that ACC or other such has been used with success...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:19 pm

There are a couple guys that have built the SW kits with glue, I'm not sure if they used all ACC or a mix of ACC and epoxy? My only worry would be the ACC failing, I've had it happen and it's not pretty. I'm thinking you could use an epoxy for the more structural building, then ACC for the details and such.
areibel

Postby scaro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 am

http://www.nz120.org/forumtopic/dsdsa-r ... mment-1533

Just to encourage you, here's some recent work on some NZ shunters (switchers) by Alan. Remember this is NZ120 so not exactly a big market, but they are used to doing things themselves.

So it's possible . . . if people want it enough.

Ben
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I think the main problem is fear or maybe I should say apprehension, etched brass to my mind does produce some of the best scratchbuilt models around but of course it does lend itself to experience and learning. I forgot the amount of times I burnt fingers but not anymore there are lots of things you can do to make soldering easier such as warming the brass in an oven before you solder anything, I liked an idea I saw years ago where the chap used an old platewarmer with a candle underneath to keep the brass warm, he used plenty of flux and a tiny soldering iron and his results were superb. On the other hand I cannot see why 2 part epoxy glue would not be succesfull either, although I do think the drying times on some parts would a bind. Either way etched brass is really an underused medium for superb models

Richard
richardedmonds

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models