3SMR TT trucks and other products

Re: 3SMR TT trucks and other products

Postby Zs12 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:24 am

Hmm ... a real pity. But thx for this info anyway.
Zs12

Postby Marquette » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 am

scaro wrote:The castings I ordered were of variable quality. I didn't get any of the EMD Blomberg trucks so cannot comment.

I think 3SMR were hoping to get some interest and support before doing work on the etches, but I think in reality the etches is the main product people want.

I would have to agree! US-proto TTers have a motive power shortage!

Joint approach: how do you mean? Might be an idea though!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:17 pm

The castings 3SMR supply are from my old friend John Fishers old moulds. These moulds were made for him by an old 3MM supplier Bruce Hoyle. There are old now and are probably well worn as well. The death of John and the loss of his great American TT enthusiasm means that probably this line of castings will not be around for too much longer. It is worth noting that all Johns masters that these moulds were made from, all came from America via John Harmon or Larry Sayre. The only reason they were made in the UK was the fact that John knew somebody and was prepared to get them made in the first place. Luckily now it seems that some of the younger guys here have some of the enthusiasm that John had and maybe at last we might be able to get improvements on available parts soon. I have tried to get the RS fret much the same as Ben has done, Malcolm from 3SMR hinted that he wanted to sell the whole thing as a complete kit, although the development of that idea was a long way behind other more pressing products for him in 3mm and 4mm scales.
To my mind and looking at the super looking sd45 from Norkin it might be better starting an RS 1-2 or 3 from scratch again, I am sure we could get sideframes made again from the Kemtron brass masters that must be kicking aro :thumbup: und somewhere or other.
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:04 pm

incidently lüTTe the RS1 you mentioned yesterday is from the ICV layout in Germany. I enquired on that model from them last year as was told that the basic fret was from a very very old British etched fret. This might tie up with the RS fret from 3SMR in as much as a long time back the owner of 3SMR was a chap called Clive Thompson who imported a lot of American TT into the UK from John Harmon under the name Allegheny products. I cannot be certain of course but I am convinced that the RS1 model is something near to that 3SMR fret.
richardedmonds

Postby Zs12 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 am

richardedmonds wrote:To my mind and looking at the super looking sd45 from Norkin it might be better starting an RS 1-2 or 3 from scratch again ...

Yes right, it would be definitely great if Norkin - or someone else - would do that! But when you consult his website, he seems to favour more modern prototypes (1980th an later), that'll be still in service in a couple of years. :|
Zs12

Postby scaro » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:58 am

Well, that's the thing.

If you're a first or early second generation diesel modeller (and many are) then you need to email 3SMR to tell Malcolm & David you are interested. They admit to not knowing much about the TT market, except that it's very small.

I've made all the noise I can about this, and I don't even model US (though I'd buy these out of sentiment.)

It's really up to those of you who want it to show you do.

Ben
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Thats the thing Ben, I asked about it so many times even harking back to when John was alive. At first Mal said he would sell a fret to me, that changed and he said the metal was too hard and had to be re-etched, that changed to him wanting to sell a complete kit, that changed to whenever he got the time to do it as he was busy with other things.
I asked but then gave up as I still feel it will never see the light of day, it is to minimal for Malcolm to invest any effort into it, we would do better to explore other avenues. That said there is already discrepencies as to what type of RS it is anyway so my thoughts are to bite the bullet and start again from scratch. If Norkin is unfavourable then we should try someone else we only need drawing skills after all.
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I contacted Allan At Worsley Works quite a while ago about doing another Alco (A C424), He said he might be able to do it if I could supply adequate plans and photos to work from. Price would be based on the number of etches. This was only a week or so before John passed away, I never followed up. It might be an avenue to explore.

And Richard, can you tell me if John's molds were spin molds or gravity molds? I have some of each of the Kemtron Alco and Bloomberg frames in brass we could use for patterns if it were possible to get new molds made?
Al
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Al as far as I know John's moulds were for spin casting I actually never saw the moulds except for a fleeting glance at one 3mm meeting where John located one that had been missing. Actually I think it was one for the small HP boiler if I remember correctly. I also think that the molds were primarily for whitemetal, I am not sure how they would hold up with the higher temperature pewter alternatives either. Allen Doherty is very helpfull towards etching, again though everything is based on artwork being supplied. Alan is not really into American styles so he is pretty lacking in existing artwork that could be quickly altered to suit TT. He has done stuff for me and John before though but probably more for Johns benefit as opposed to mine. Incidently he probably still has the artwork for copies of the Kemtron A+B units that he made for me about five years ago. Allan also describes his etches as scratchbuilding aids as he does not do complete kits or at least he used to. :thumbup:
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:02 am

Richard, I wonder whether if 10 TTers who wanted this stuff approached 3SMR then whether that would make a difference.

I do not know whether that has happened, since TT in the US does not appear to have been a scratchbuilders' scale in the past. If it's been tried, then yes, I would agree - hoping for this etch to emerge to market is just banging one's head against the wall.

For those who may not know, Allen at Worsley Works has done etches for much smaller markets than the US TT one. These include a South African 2' gauge GE diesel in 4mm, and a revised version of that is being done in TT now for the NZ120 group. These etches have been made available at a modest cost.

But such projects were driven by one or two determined individuals who had the plans and data and who didn't mind scratchbuilding. They emerge from Britain and NZ where modelling contains strong elements of a non-profit, self-help kind of ethos and a love of of scratchbuilding.

Sadly, I don't think US TT has those characteristics, even though you would think the sales for an etched GP7 would exceed a South African 2' GE!

It's regrettable, but I suspect we are more likely to see almost every NZ diesel emerge as an etch (NZ having 4m people) before even one US diesel (pop. 300m).

Simply, they want it the worst, so they get it :smile:

Ben
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models