33' 2 bay offset hopper

Interior detailing on the sides and what heap shield / end panels do you want?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Very important
12%
Doesn't matter
24%
flat ends
18%
curved ends
6%
angled ends
12%
notched curved
12%
notched angled
18%

Total votes : 17

Re: 33' 2 bay offset hopper

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:27 am

Hear, Hear!
Tom Dempsey

Postby Rob M » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:29 am

This thread demonstrates exactly why I am giving up manufacturing in TT. Someone is going to offer something in TT and all they get is complaints!
Rob M

Postby areibel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Now don't get too carried away Rob! Most TT guys may not be as vocal as the chronic complainers, but they're really happy with what you produce. Me, personally, I'd like to see a new hopper vs. spending a pile of money on some 60 year old lead ones. I'll have to do a little test, I'm wondering what kind of chance an SW1200 or a GP38 would have trying to move a string of 10 or 20 Kemtrons up any grade?
areibel

Postby j p » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Nobody has critisized or complained (yet) - except for the Shapeways thing (and we all know about that). What I see there is an offer for help.

This thread demonstrates exactly why I am giving up manufacturing in TT.

Hmm. I have made artwork for 9 paint schemes for your PS-1. Waiting only for the kit to check if I have scaled it correctly to TT...
j p

Postby areibel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:00 pm

j p wrote:Nobody has critisized or complained (yet) - except for the Shapeways thing (and we all know about that). What I see there is an offer for help.

Ian announced what HE wanted to make, and why HE wanted them. The first two people that post basically told him to do something different. That doesn't sound like helping? Unless you are going to finance the alternate sides-That would be very nice of you!
I can remember seeing two bay hoppers in service in the 1970's. And I think a clever modeler that got his hands on a couple nice plastic kits could bash them into something more like this without a lot of effort-
http://appalachianrailroadmodeling.com/ ... etowah.jpg
A little careful surgery and an offset two bay becomes an offset three bay. Some styrene and Archer rivets and you could do a lot, including your own outside ribbed sides for any hopper you wish. Building the ends, slope sheets and discharge chutes would be the hard part, and you might not have to depending on what Ian releases.
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Rob M wrote:This thread demonstrates exactly why I am giving up manufacturing in TT. Someone is going to offer something in TT and all they get is complaints!

Oh no Rob that's another disaster, what will I do without your skill and that machine of yours
richardedmonds

Postby j p » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Then you did not understand anything Al.
It is natural that people would like to see something new in TT. It has been discussed hundred times that we need more variety. Therefore, re-doing basically the same car again and again (this would be the 4th manufacturer making it) does not add that much to the variety - although he could possibly make it better. All those things you have written about the "surgery" and modification - can the same thing be done with the other 3 versions of the same car or not? Of course, I can make a 3 bay hopper out of it this way, one 3-bay hopper. But I would prefer to have more of them for my coal trains...
He explained that he did not have sufficient documentation for other cars. I am sure that he can get some if he asks. I can promise to scan what I have and send to him. And if he goes for the 2 bay offset hopper anyway, he can get some artwork and/or decals. Really, no hard feelings, I am trying to help with artwork/decals even for the cars which are completely out of my model railroad focus - like Rob Dikken's tankcars in schemes for 2000+. I'd help with this 2-bay hopper too. Regarding your suggestion for financing it: not at this point. I have already "burned my fingers". And if that possibility comes later it would not be discussed through this board.

areibel wrote:
j p wrote:Nobody has critisized or complained (yet) - except for the Shapeways thing (and we all know about that). What I see there is an offer for help.

Ian announced what HE wanted to make, and why HE wanted them. The first two people that post basically told him to do something different. That doesn't sound like helping? Unless you are going to finance the alternate sides-That would be very nice of you!
I can remember seeing two bay hoppers in service in the 1970's. And I think a clever modeler that got his hands on a couple nice plastic kits could bash them into something more like this without a lot of effort-
http://appalachianrailroadmodeling.com/ ... etowah.jpg
A little careful surgery and an offset two bay becomes an offset three bay. Some styrene and Archer rivets and you could do a lot, including your own outside ribbed sides for any hopper you wish. Building the ends, slope sheets and discharge chutes would be the hard part, and you might not have to depending on what Ian releases.
j p

Postby TiTan downunder » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:46 pm

OK - firstly, I'm not put off by the complainers. You should try doing something for the Aussie market - boy can we whinge, pommy heritage and all that. When you've spent your whole working life ( 45 + years ) in retail you soon learn how to whinge!
Just ask any of the trade reps that call on my business.

I realise a 3 bay version would be much easier to make into a 2 bay, simple cut & shut but, a 3 bay would be very roughly 30% dearer to produce. More steel needed in the block for the larger cavities, extra ejector pins required, more time to cut the larger cavities, more plastic required to do the moulding & longer cycle time on the moulding machine. Now, some of these are minor but, some are also rather major costs.

My basic aim is to get 3 or 4 freight car & loco kits, sorry there will be NO boxcars amongst them, " out there " over the next 2 or 3 years. This is something I did nearly 30 years ago now, with the Aussie N market. I ended up with a range 10 plastic freight car kits as well as some done in cast urethane, a couple of cast urethane railcar shells & some etched brass loco shells. I didn't have to worry about trucks for the freight car kits then, as 90% of N scalers were using Kadee ( now Mirco-Trains ) trucks and couplers.
Unfortunately, TT American doesn't have that option. Trucks, and couplers, are a slight problem. A Barber S-2 truck in both friction & roller bearing would be ideal? Couplers - do I set up for 714's or N scale 1025's. I personally use a mix of both on my rolling stock without too much hassle.

Rob , don't take it to heart so much, the couple of kits of yours that I've got are great. Just do want you want & if others want them, great - if not - tough titties. Let them do their own thing.

The offer stands - if anybody can provide the info I'll look at adding the extra cavities to the tooling.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:28 am

I'll happy with whatever you make available :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:49 am

areibel wrote:Ian announced what HE wanted to make, and why HE wanted them. The first two people that post basically told him to do something different. That doesn't sound like helping...

Sorry Al,

You are right that Ian announced what he wanted to make (his personal preference), and in my post, which I think was the first reply, I merely mentioned what my personal choice would be, along with a suggestion of a possible way to accommodate a more varied production. Athearn offered all three 2 bay hopper styles in HO quite successfully for many years, I think it would be hard to find an HO layout that has any hoppers at all, where at least some of them are not Athearn. I believe Weaver did the same thing in O, and MTL in "N". Although all of the ones mentioned above were one piece bodies, rather than flat kits, so there was no savings in tooling costs, my suggestion was aimed at having multiple choices of the various flat pieces in order to satisfy modeling as many different styles as possible. Whether this could be done with enough fidelity to actual prototypes to satisfy the rivet counters, I don't know (probably not).

I was not trying to suggest that Ian should not produce the type car he wants, but rather, with a little planning, he might be able to produce a variety of types for a minimal extra investment. Perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut.

I will say that I would advise anyone contemplating any large investment for anything in TT scale where they are looking for a return on their money, NOT to do it. The volume numbers simply are not there! Just ask anyone who has done it in the past, like Felix of Gold Coast, Mark of Saz Models, etc.

Bill in FtL
Last edited by railtwister on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models