2mm axles for rolling stock?

2mm axles for rolling stock?

Postby scaro » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:41 am

Hi

I finally got a consignment of NWSL wheels to play around with and they are nice. They are 26"(HO) wheels so scale to 3' in TT. They take a 2mm axle though NWSL can in theory bore them for other diameters if you want.

I'd be happy with 2mm axles but I'm unsure where to get some. The 3mm Society does 2mm axles, but they are 20mm, too long.

BTTB axles are 2mm dia and 18.5mm long have easily removable plastic wheels. They fit in Alex's Barber truck and I hope GC and other trucks. So, they fit the bill nicely, but where to get them as parts?

Maybe someone who knows German TT can help . . . ModMuller seems to sell wheels of that axle length but not sure he does axles . . . does anyone just sell the straight axles?

Regards
Ben
scaro

Re: 2mm axles for rolling stock?

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:05 pm

scaro wrote:Hi

I finally got a consignment of NWSL wheels to play around with and they are nice. They are 26"(HO) wheels so scale to 3' in TT. They take a 2mm axle though NWSL can in theory bore them for other diameters if you want.

Hi Ben, What is the wheel width and flange size? Did you ask NWSL if they could supply the wheels with the proper axles? ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby scaro » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Dave

It's a P:87 code 64 wheel so that is .064" or 1.63mm wide.

Flange width/depth is 0.012-0.014" (0.31-0.35mm).

Did not ask NWSL to deliver them on the axle as it would be a special request and costs a lot, and cannot work out from their site whether they have an axle of 18.5mm length, though it is I believe a fairly standard length for HOn3 axles.

Ben
scaro

Postby scaro » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Update on 2mm axles and the idea of using NWSL wheels.

Dave from NWSL/Osorail tells me that they have .744" axles with flush ends, .760" with pointed ends, and .745" with shouldered ends as standard sizes that are closest to the .728" (18.5mm) axles I asked about. All are brass, 2.0mm diameter.

.760" is 19.3mm and Berliner Bahnen/Tillg and most US TT conform to the 18.5mm Euro axle length, so I don't think I'll be using NWSL wheels and axles ! A great pity as their product is so nice.

Modmuller tells me (I think) that he supplies 1.5mm axles to 18.5mm. Whether NWSL would bore wheels for that diameter I don't know. Have asked Dave at NWSL and made him aware there might be a few people out there who'd probably choose NWSL wheels if we could fit them on an axle we could use on TT rolling stock.

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:52 pm

As I mentioned in some thread that I can't remember now, after getting through the models I've decided to do, I will take requests. So, truck variants for some or all of the above axle dimensions are very possible.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Hey Alex

That is an option and I'll keep it in mind. I do hope it's a last resort though. Not that I don't think you'd do a good job, mind, but I think it's useful to standardise on axle lengths. Some scales like British N have been royally stuffed up by manufacturers adopting over long axles -meaning four wheel wagons particularly have to be built with underframes about a foot too wide.

I have raised the idea with Dave at NWSL of making 18.5mm axles. Steam Era Models, who are the Aussie equivalent of NWSL, offer HOn3 wheels on an 18.5mm axle. Not sure they sell them separately.

Given all the Euro TT manufacturers, and Peresvet and Gold Coast too, seem to accept 18.5mm as the default standard, I'd like to tempt NWSL with the idea that they might sell a few wheels to TT finescalers, probably in Germany more than the 3-4 of us on here who are interested (!) if they offered such an axle in their range.

TT has a pretty appalling situation with regard to incompatible wheels and trucks, and I see value in standardising on one axle length, the shorter and more prototypical the better.

Ben
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:59 pm

scaro wrote:Hey Alex

Given all the Euro TT manufacturers, and Peresvet and Gold Coast too, seem to accept 18.5mm as the default standard, I'd like to tempt NWSL with the idea that they might sell a few wheels to TT finescalers, probably in Germany more than the 3-4 of us on here who are interested (!) if they offered such an axle in their range.

Hi Ben, I'll definitely buy some HP sized wheels sets with 18.5 MM axles to use in gold coast trucks so maybe gold coast should get into that conversation too then they could offer their cars with more scale like HP wheels.
Another place that makes really nice wheel sets is Fox Valley so you might call them up and see if they are interested in being the default TT scale wheel provider, now would be a great time to get in on the ground floor :>) .....dave
ctxmf74

Postby scaro » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:34 pm

FVM wheels look to be the same kind of design in N and Z scale, so they have one insulated side and one pressed. So only one wheel can be moved out. I assume they'd want to make TT wheels the same way -they would not really be of much interest to me. You might chase them up though!

I believe Felix at GC said something about looking at a wheel with a more scale appearance. However would it be worth their while? I wonder.

Probably the cream of the crop as regards getting something as nice as HP wheelsets is the NWSL 24" P87 wheel which is the same size, 7mm and similar appearance. I think I'll focus on NWSL for now. I explained to Dave at NWSL why TTers might prefer an 18.5mm axle and he has said this evening that there's no particular reason something like a 2mm, 18.5mm axle couldn't be added to the product line. He says he doesn't like the word 'standard' , they work on bespoke things for individual needs. That's encouraging. Not sure if he'd want a minimum order but I may ask him.

The other nice 33" wheel options are all in the UK. Two of them are specifically 7mm N scale coach wheels (British N is bigger, remember and lots of UK coaches have enormous 42" wheels) which need regauging, the other is a plastic wheel the late John Fisher got one of the 3mm Society's wheelmakers to do. I don't know what John based it on, Richard may know, but it isn't that good.

Ben

Ben
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:50 pm

scaro wrote:FVM wheels look to be the same kind of design in N and Z scale, so they have one insulated side and one pressed. So only one wheel can be moved out. I assume they'd want to make TT wheels the same way -they would not really be of much interest to me.

Hi Ben, The reason I suggested Fox valley is they make the best N scale wheels for the price and they seem like the kind of innovator that TT scale could use. They make a lot of variations of wheels so they must have a better way to design and produce them?
Almost all scale wheels are only insulated on one side so that's no problem unless you use metal trucks and turn some wheels round backwards by accident.
If NWSL makes those 18.5 axles I'll try some of their P87 wheels ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby scaro » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:32 am

Pressed on one side is a problem for me as I want to model broad gauge so they've got to go out evenly on each side. I agree they are an innovator and do a great product, so I'm sure it's worth *someone* chasing them up . . . it just won't be me as they are not likely to do what I want.

B.
scaro

Next

Return to General Discussion