2021 NMRA National in Santa Clara Ca

Re: 2021 NMRA National in Santa Clara Ca

Postby Richard-B » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 am

BTW...
I had a discussion this week with a 2021 NMRA Convention Committee member regarding TT-scale participation;
The Committee is having one of their regular meetings this evening across the Bay.

Nothing is for sure...
but I think we are well-placed to make a step forward in public awareness about TT-scale in 2021, and in doing so, attracting new modelers into our corner of the hobby.

Now is the time to start thinking what we could do collectively...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby dileTTante » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 am

What do you have in mind? TT clinics at the convention? Door prizes at the show? A massive display of SW1200s?
-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Richard-B » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:11 am

dileTTante wrote:What do you have in mind? TT clinics at the convention? Door prizes at the show? A massive display of SW1200s?
-Terry C
A)
B)
C)
D)

Answer D: "Some or all of the Above" !
Richard-B

Postby dileTTante » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 pm

I'm not a member of the NMRA and have never attended a convention or clinic. But I have just watched an NMRA promotional video about clinics Therefore --
Questions about NMRA clinics-
Must the presenters be members of the NMRA?
Can a clinic have more than one presenter?
Do presenters get paid for the clinics?
How is the clinic created - is there an application to the NMRA?
How is the topic of the clinic judged to be acceptable?
Is there a format for presenting information at a clinic, or can the clinic be interactive - more like a discussion?

Or, more generally, how can a TTNut present a clinic about TT Scale at a national show?

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Richard-B » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:12 am

Sayeth the implacable Clinic Chair:
Bask in the aura of my transcendent self... and behold the omniscient powers I wield through manipulation of the time-space continuum. Observe the benign countenance that masks a terrible and ruthless destroyer of mortal will. Men are but shadows, and lesser deities but dust, against the power to place obstacles in front of, and open portals towards, the messengers of TT.
Richard-B

Postby Richard-B » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:14 am

dileTTante wrote:I'm not a member of the NMRA and have never attended a convention or clinic. But I have just watched an NMRA promotional video about clinics Therefore --
Questions about NMRA clinics-
Must the presenters be members of the NMRA?
Can a clinic have more than one presenter?
Do presenters get paid for the clinics?
How is the clinic created - is there an application to the NMRA?
How is the topic of the clinic judged to be acceptable?
Is there a format for presenting information at a clinic, or can the clinic be interactive - more like a discussion?

Or, more generally, how can a TTNut present a clinic about TT Scale at a national show?
Ok...
The 2021 NMRA Convention will be hosted in the Coast Division, by the Pacific Coast Region, NMRA.
Full disclosure: I (Richard) am:
  • The Coast Division PCR NMRA Clinics Chair
  • The Clinics Chair of the 2020 "Clear to the Coast" NMRA Pacific Region Convention in Concord, CA.
  • I am NOT the Clinics chair for the 2021 NMRA National...
    ...but you see where I am coming from
The answers to Terry's questions are:
  • No
  • Yes
  • Not usually
  • Submitted to / requested by the Clinics Chair and/or Committee
  • Clinics Chair and/or Committee
  • Many formats
  • SURE...
    but Clinics/Clinicians that have a track record at the NMRA Divisional / Regional level tend to be favored
So... I think an outline promotional plan for TT-scale at the 2021 national is a good step 1. It will allow us to work as a team, focus and coordinate our efforts, and maximize our impact.

Questions? Comments? Flames?
Richard-B

Postby dileTTante » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 am

For a general presentation of modern TT scale in a NMRA clinic here are a few things to consider -

-- No need to dwell on the past, especially about TT succumbing to N scale.

-- Emphasise the international nature of TT scale. N American modellers are rather xenophobic, but the resource base for TT is European, so N American modelling in TT must be aware of European scene and build on that. Examples are the SW1200 and Gold Coast.

-- Of the TT people likely to attend the NTS, Bill Dixon and Richard Brennan are the most able to speak to the commercial level, but how many potential manufacturers and vendors will attend such a clinic? Basically there is no commercial level to address. Clinic attendees mostly will be general modellers, so all of us who have experience modelling and exhibiting TT have something to offer an interested audience. This is why I asked about number of presenters and clinic presentations in the form of general discussions rather than a lecture. On the other hand, more TT presenters means more TT attending the convention, not just the train show, and that's expensive.

-- Later research turned up the NMRA concept of EduTrains, so I suppose a proposal which followed those guidelines would have a better chance of finding favour.

As for the other idea of a door prize - a web site which recounted all the prizes won by Z scale layouts at the national shows listed around half a dozen sponsors sometimes contributing together to provide a door prize.

A few years back I contemplated giving a TT scale door prize to interested visitors at our local show. It would have been a spare BTTB BR86, a few old cars, an oval of track and a cheap power pack. Nowadays that would interest nobody and certainly not be adequate at the national show level. But if not a starter set, even just a single item of quality -- who would provide it?

As for a mass display of SW1200s, we already have that, sort of.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Richard-B » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:32 am

One more thing: July temperatures in the Bay Area!
This chart from yesterday shows a 30 to 34 degree swing in temperature across JUST the greater Bay Area.
You should come prepared for: Everything!!!! (including fog if you visit San Francisco!)
BatArea JulyTemp.jpg
Bay Area July Temp
To be fair.. Santa Clara fits the middle range.
Richard-B

Postby RodTT » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Sounds just like England at the moment! It's been 95 today and forecast back down to 75 or so tomorrow with thunderstorms.
RodTT

Postby Richard-B » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:19 pm

RodTT wrote:Sounds just like England at the moment!
But Europe is setting records...
for the SF Bay area it is 'normal' to get on BART in San Francisco at 60° ...and get off 35 miles away in the East Bay... with an additional 35° of temperature.

Santa Clara is inside the Coastal Range that rings the Bay Area... offering some degree of moderation to the weather; But it can also cool off dramatically in the evening... so a cover-up is always good to have on hand.

"Back to our regularly scheduled program..."
Richard-B

Previous

Return to Events