2020 NMRA National in St Louis

2020 NMRA National in St Louis

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:44 am

The 2020 NMRA National will be in St Louis.

Is there any local TT-Scale group to plan for that show?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: 2020 NMRA National in St Louis

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 am

St. Louis is doable for me distance wise. But God knows what life circumstances will be 4 years from now.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:19 am

OAK <> STL:
Cheap flights on Southworst Airlines if you book ahead...

A real possibility.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:49 pm

We might be able to go as well. We will see when it is 2019.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby modorney » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:51 am

I'm looking at KC, Salt Lake and St. Louis (18 -19-20) and driving, with a trailer, from San Francisco.

4 door pickup (Tacoma) so seating for three of us will be comfy.
modorney

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 pm

By the looks of things, the odds of us making it to St. Louis is quite good, considering that we will have a trailer setup with racks to hold modules by the spring of 2018.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:53 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:By the looks of things, the odds of us making it to St. Louis is quite good, considering that we will have a trailer setup with racks to hold modules by the spring of 2018.

It looks like we will being doing our damndest to make the 2020 National Train Show. CaTT's mother lives just outside of St. Louis, so lodging will not be a problem. We are still looking into a trailer to carry the modules, though, as the unexpected move to the midwest due to the issues with the Atlanta VA system.

Worst case scenario will see us renting a trailer for the duration...
AstroGoat760

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Been looking at St Louis.
It would be a long drive. Four days - 8 hours, 8 hours, 9 hours and 9 hours, plus an hour or two a day for rest stops etc.
Then five days in St . Louis - Wednesday early setup, Thursday setup, Friday display, Saturday display, Sunday display and then pack up.
Then four days back.
So a thirteen day trip.
Except that I would not come straight back. I'd come back via Colorado and ride the Cumbres & Toltec again and the Durango & Silverton again.
So it would be an eighteen day trip at a couple of hundred dollars a day.

Not impossible.

I wouldn't do it unless their was Guaranteed help at St Louis. And I mean GUARANTEED. None of this I had to cancel because family decided to come and visit. Tell them to come another time. I died. Fine, do a fast cremation and send the urn to us. We'll put it on the table with a sign, Joe Schmo gone but here with us in spirit.
Had a major accident? On a gurney or in a wheel chair? Can you operate your smart phone? Yes then you can sit inside the layout and run a train.

Too few people today will make a commitment and stick to it. Well something came up. No, you let something come up and the fact you let something come up meant you weren't committed to going after all.

When Salt Lake City was announced I decided to go. Period.
The only things that would have kept me away were Death (mine) in which case my spirit would have been there, war closing the border, the end of the World - no worries then eh, major accident or bankruptcy, or a fire that destroyed my modules and equipment. Even in the case of the fire, Tibi has my original small corners, so with those and his modules and Terry's and Richard's modules we could have had a small oval display.

Anyways enough of a rant.

St Louis intrigues me. Not likely but not impossible. Have a few month to think about it.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:32 pm

When others said St Louis was too far I considered going to St Louis on my own. When I bought the TT Tracks modules from Bill in Florida I got them back from Ohio to Vancouver by train in a suitcase and a box. I can get them to St Louis from Vancouver by Amtrak's Empire Builder, then another train to St Louis. The whole trip is 3-4 days each way. The Amtrak station is downtown St Louis and so is the convention. If I watch my finances better than I did this year I could afford to do the show properly - like sleeper accommodation and taxis, etc.

The eight modules I have make a double track oval which can be changed easily between DC and DCC. Just two tables needed. Simple setup, easy operation. Only short locos and cars can be accommodated, but that means all available N American freight and the SW1200. The oval is boring but two trains can run forever without colliding and that allows talking to show visitors without worry. It also lets people see that a simple layout at home is possible. It's a minimal TT presence but better than no-show TT. I think it's important to keep TT at the national show level.

Someone bringing a couple standard modules to add to the oval would help. That's the idea of TT Tracks. Someone bringing N American trains would be good because I don't have any. Bringing the GuiTTar Case by train or by plane would be even better.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Been looking at St Louis.
It would be a long drive. Four days - 8 hours, 8 hours, 9 hours and 9 hours, plus an hour or two a day for rest stops etc.
Then five days in St . Louis - Wednesday early setup, Thursday setup, Friday display, Saturday display, Sunday display and then pack up.
Then four days back.
So a thirteen day trip.
Except that I would not come straight back. I'd come back via Colorado and ride the Cumbres & Toltec again and the Durango & Silverton again.
So it would be an eighteen day trip at a couple of hundred dollars a day.

Not impossible.

I wouldn't do it unless their was Guaranteed help at St Louis. And I mean GUARANTEED. None of this I had to cancel because family decided to come and visit. Tell them to come another time. I died. Fine, do a fast cremation and send the urn to us. We'll put it on the table with a sign, Joe Schmo gone but here with us in spirit.
Had a major accident? On a gurney or in a wheel chair? Can you operate your smart phone? Yes then you can sit inside the layout and run a train.

Too few people today will make a commitment and stick to it. Well something came up. No, you let something come up and the fact you let something come up meant you weren't committed to going after all.

When Salt Lake City was announced I decided to go. Period.
The only things that would have kept me away were Death (mine) in which case my spirit would have been there, war closing the border, the end of the World - no worries then eh, major accident or bankruptcy, or a fire that destroyed my modules and equipment. Even in the case of the fire, Tibi has my original small corners, so with those and his modules and Terry's and Richard's modules we could have had a small oval display.

Anyways enough of a rant.

St Louis intrigues me. Not likely but not impossible. Have a few month to think about it.

I understand, as distance driving can be very fatiguing. I still feel very bad about not making it to the 2019 National Train Show, I especially feel bad about not being able to help out.

St. Louis is about 750-800 miles from my house, depending on route taken. With CaTTwoman281's mother living just outside of St. Louis, we would have help if the need arose.

I can make the drive to St. Louis in a day's time if needed, and I have already asked for the time off for the 2020 NTS from my boss, who has already approved (not to mention I made it clear that if approval was not made, that they would have to replace me).

I have made it clear to everyone that knows me that the 2020 NTS is set in stone for me. There is no option for failure this time around. I have my medical stuff squared away enough with the VA where I am stable again to travel like that again, and I no longer have an asshat landlord. Things are working out for a change, and I plan to make the most of it. Contingencies are being planned out for the unforseen, preventanive maintenance is being done to my main truck, and the backup, CaTT's van is bring taken care of as well. We are also socking away money in a special account for the 2020 NTS now as well. The 2013 NTS was a practice run for the 2020 NTS.

In short: "Course is set, variables are accounted for, set speed, engage!"
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Events