2019 Western Rails

Re: 2019 Western Rails

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:10 pm

Saturday we arrived at the hall for 2 PM.
They let the modular guys in early so Tibi and I started setting up the tables. Then we brought in our stuff.
Terry and Graeme arrived a little later followed by Voytek.

We loaded all our stuff and then started levelling tables. I think that they were crappier than last year. More sagging. The show had a small stack of unuseable broken ones.

After the tables were roughly levelled, we placed the and started levelling them. Closing time (6 PM) arrived before we could start running trains.

The only picture I took Saturday was a quick snap at Red Robin. Not everybody is in the picture.
20190323_00-Terrys Bday.jpg
That's Voyteks' hand and beer on the left. Then Terry the Birthday boy, Graeme, Tibi and lastly my beer in front of me. Terry informed us after we had our first sips of beer that it was his birthday (38 again (base 22 math)) and that he was buying the first round. We toasted Terry but did not subject him to the Red Robin birthday shtick.

After a good meal and beer, or should that be beer and a good meal, it was off to home for last minute preparations and not enough sleep.

As we like our beer, one of the industries in the switching area will be a brewery.
Industry 5 will be the Tidewater Terminal Brewing Company.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Sunday the alarm went off too early after too little sleep.
Was at the hall before 7am to help the boss unload and setup the store.
After 8am enough was done that I could go back to the layout and help Tibi.
This setup was a learning experience.
First was a frog with the wrong polarity. Happily an MP1 was used to control the turnout so it was easy to swap the wires.
Then there was a joint where the rails were a bit too long. A bit of work with a file on the rails fixed that.
Then there were power issues. We had already removed the PSXs yesterday. Today there was a short when the front rail only was shorted. Eventually traced it to the wrong type of cable between the command station and booster. The four wire cable needs the to be wired data.
Lastly a UniJoiner failed. Wouldn't conduct power. We should expect more failures as we really abuse them.
After that things can OK with the usual equipment failures.
I was tired! So tired that around 2:30 I fell asleep.running the GuiTTar layout.

Eventually 4pm arrived and we packed up. After we were packed, Votek headed home. Then Terry, Graeme and Tibi headed over to Red Robin to get a table. I stayed behind to help pack up and load the store.
Then Kathy and I headed over to Red Robin to join the guys for dinner.
IMG_20190324_181304.jpg
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:50 pm

New modules at the show.
IMG_20190324_150220.jpg
This is the first time the thirty degree corners have been used. They look good. More about them later.

Module 48 is a #6 crossover module made with Kuehn turnouts.
20190324_new crossover module.jpg
It's not complete yet. It needs its back fascia. It is also intended to use a Tam Valley Turtle decoder to drive MP1 switch machines.

I have started to modify module 15 to be the first module of the industrial area.
The connection to the rest of the layout is currently poor. Too many sharp curves.
20190324_temporary connection.jpg
. This will be fixed.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 am

A few quick pictures of the display.
20190324_01 North Side of Layout.jpg
The North side of the display - fourteen modules and a turnback loop.
From the far end: Turn back loop, Straight module. Filler module. Memorial module without the station. First (sharp curves)sway back module. #6 crossover module. Five modules giving three tracks in front and one to the rear - the connection to the back area is on the fifth module. The farm module. The bridge module. Another #6 crossover module and the start of the 30 degree corner.

20190324_02-west side of display.jpg
The East end of the display - nine module. Three thirty-degree corner modules. A half depth filler module. Three of Bjoerns' modules: the second bridge, the baseball diamond, the two module bridge set, and the 45 degree corner modules.

20190324_03 west hald of south side.jpg
The West end of the South side of the display - sixteen modules. The two thirds long abandoned rail line module. Two #6 crossover modules. The staging yard access module. The gentle curve swayback module. The power module. The start of Voyteks' five double module set.

20190324_04 middle of south side.jpg
Voyteks' modules.

20190324_05 easy end of south side.jpg
The East end of the south side of the display - three modules. Terrys' bridge module. The First module and the 90 degree corner.

20190324_05 easy end of south side.jpg
The East end of the display - two modules and a turn back loop. Two modules and a turn back loop. The new #6 crossover module. A one third filler module and the second turn back loop.

There are probably one or two short filler module I have missed.

It was a big display and with a few changes (Richards' modules will replace four modules on the North Side of the display), it will be what we are showing at Salt Lake City.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 am

The industrial switching back area was mage up of most of the unused modules.
This picture of the North Side of the display is the best image of the switching area.
20190324_01 North Side of Layout.jpg
It started with module 15 with a bodged connection to the industrial access module. Then one of Tibis' three track crossover modules. Terrys' three module set. An old bedding track crossover module. An industrial spur module.

One half depth module was unused. Jayden had fun switching it.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:27 am

I mentioned earlier that the new thirty degree corner set looked good.
Here are a few images comparing trains on the various corners we currently use on the mainline.
20190324_08 90 degree corner.jpg
Here is a train on an old 'large' 90 degree corner module. This 90 degree module will be retained as a legacy module. Two of the others (old power corner and the city corner) will be striped of their track. Not sure yet about the wye access corner.

20190324_09 45 degree corner.jpg
Here is the same train on the 45 degree corner module set. Looks better than the 90 degree corner.

20190324_10 30 degree corner.jpg
And finally here is the same train on the thirty degree corner module set. It looks really good on this corner.

I do have a diagram for a 22.5 degree corner module set but may build another 30 degree set instead. That decision is for the future, much to do before then.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:43 am

So what to say about the show.

Despite the issues we had a good time. Many nice comments again.
I don't know what the crowd number was, it got light after 2 PM, but the store sales were up.

There was TT for sale at the show. One vendor had a few old Berliner passenger cars. They sold but we don't know to who.

Learned a few lessons.
Keep track of any changes made to modules in case you have to fix or reverse them.
Carry spare UniJoiners (we did) and cables. Need a few more multi wire power cables.
It may be useful to have a power connection on the return loops.
Get some rest before the show. I was tired and fell asleep Sunday.
Don't do anything too strenuous before the show. Terry threw his back out and was in considerable pain on Saturday. Drugs helped a lot on Sunday.

Work through the problems methodically.

And lastly - Have Fun!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:08 am

Bill Dixon wrote:So what to say about the show.

Despite the issues we had a good time. Many nice comments again.
I don't know what the crowd number was, it got light after 2 PM, but the store sales were up.

There was TT for sale at the show. One vendor had a few old Berliner passenger cars. They sold but we don't know to who.

Learned a few lessons.
Keep track of any changes made to modules in case you have to fix or reverse them.
Carry spare UniJoiners (we did) and cables. Need a few more multi wire power cables.
It may be useful to have a power connection on the return loops.
Get some rest before the show. I was tired and fell asleep Sunday.
Don't do anything too strenuous before the show. Terry threw his back out and was in considerable pain on Saturday. Drugs helped a lot on Sunday.

Work through the problems methodically.

And lastly - Have Fun!

I second those suggestions.

I have back problems and was in periods of major pain during the 2013 National Train Show. At least that venue served and allowed beer, which helped take the edge off of the pain levels.

Carrying spare parts and a complement of tools saved my tailfeathers during that show as well.

Good luck at the next one!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Events