2019 Vancouver Train Expo

Re: 2019 Vancouver Train Expo

Postby Richard-B » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:58 pm

dileTTante wrote: having Richard Brennan there with his wife Katalin was like icing on the cake.
We had a GREAT visit... Katalin -really- enjoyed meeting the crew. She has been to a number of Model RR events with me, but enjoyed this the most.

I spent most of my time stewarding Bjoern's GuiTTar Case... and trying to figure out what I had in the boxes of TT cars I brought. Several of the group 'assisted' me in this task...

Kat took mid-day Sunday to head north a bit, and following Marquette's advice... visit the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and hike around the area. She came back with some amazing photos of the flowers and fall foliage.

Kat also said "You need structures!" ...and committed to building some for the display... including a BEAUTIFUL Fort Langley Station laser kit that was gifted to her by Darryl and Joanne Jacobs at Inter-Action https://www.interactionhobbies.com/TT-Scale_c_14.html. As a kid in Budapest, Kat used to help her Father with his display for train shows in the DDR, so she knows the task.

Terry's BR-218 powered F3 set was running like a hot knife through butter, even in the Lionel NYC grey paint... and will be a show-stopper with NP passenger livery and cars.

Thanks to Voytek and Graham for the welcome and conversations... and to Tibi and Bill for being the main movers at set-up. The new table covers made the whole display look 1st-class.

We'll be BACK!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:41 am

VTE 2019 was a great show.

The layout ran well with one glitch Sunday. One of the dual frog juicers went flaky. I think it was caused by one of the insulating gaps closing up. I opened up the gaps and swapped in a new unit from store stock. I will work on this more.

Terry's F3 conversion was awesome. We are now looking for more BR210 units to convert more F3s.

I have a long list (22) of things to work on before the next show. Should keep me busy for a while.

My thanks to everyone who come and helped make this a great event.
We will do this again!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:59 am

Another view of the layout.
20191110_TT Layout.jpg
Not shown in this picture, Kat, Terry and myself.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby MacG » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:36 am

What a great layout! :thumbup: The BR218 as a chassis for an F3 is also new to me.

I heard at a TT-Board.de meeting last Saturday that the CSD T478.3 or T478.4 (both "Brejlovec") would be a good chassis for a Lionel F3. But I haven't seen it yet. I didn't compare the data either. The CSD T478.1 ("Bardotka") has the same dimensions.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Marquette » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Here's a selection of the pics I took...

20191109_094724.jpg

Polak, wenger, dwa bratanki...

20191109_160029.jpg

New RTR hoppers, B&O and Erie...

20191109_160051.jpg

New RTR hoppers, SP and CN...

20191109_160651.jpg

New RTR hoppers, CP multimark and script versions, on one of Voytek's modules

20191110_110647.jpg

Hungarian express train and a Czech diesel car... one of these made a wrong turn somewhere, I think!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm

As usual the setup deviated from the plan.
2019 VTE as Set Up.jpg
Not too different from what was planned. Except for the reverse loop issue on Sunday, it ran well.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: BR 218 => F3 conversion

Postby Richard-B » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:01 pm

MacG wrote:<snip> the CSD T478.3 or T478.4 (both "Brejlovec") would be a good chassis for a Lionel F3. But I haven't seen it yet. I didn't compare the either. The CSD T478.1 ("Bardotka") has the same dimensions[/url].
It looks like the truck (bogie) wheelbase on these engines is only 2400mm...
The F-units and GPs use the Blomberg power trucks with a 9ft-0in axle-axle dimension... i.e. 2743mm.
I believe the BR 218 has 2800mm bogies... just 2% large.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 am

CFRiad wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Perhaps a strange question but - roughly how long does it take for a train to make it all the way around at normal train speeds?

Ha ha, strange minds think alike. I timed it yesterday: 4 minutes.

Ha!
4 minutes? Man, that's not a little...very cool.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: BR 218 => F3 conversion

Postby MacG » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:30 am

Richard-B wrote:It looks like the truck (bogie) wheelbase on these engines is only 2400mm...

You are right, they are too short. Under a Lionel F3, I would have recognized it. But it was only a piece of information.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:As usual the setup deviated from the plan.
2019 VTE as Set Up.jpg
Not too different from what was planned. Except for the reverse loop issue on Sunday, it ran well.

We are getting good at big. Our displays at Chilliwack have shown this.

The VTE display was a good size this year but they are looking for Good, not big. We need to up our game for our VTE display.
Of the 35 + straight modules, only 18 are what I would consider finished: five double modules from Voytek, the two single modules and one double module from Bjoern and four of my own.
That is just over half the modules we used.
I would start by changing the VTE layout size to 34 1/2 feet and sixteen feet wide. That drops one module.
To accommodate the GuiTTar display would take the space of three modules.
That leaves 13 modules to work on. They need buildings or finished scenes. Not every module should have buildings on them. Some should be finished country scenes for the trains to run through.
Obviously this is not going to happen over night. Will take some time as long as nothing else gets in the way.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Events