2019 New Years Resolution

2019 New Years Resolution

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 am

I don't usually do the resolution thing unless it is something I can do with out effort like: I resolve to not eat an elephant this year. Batting a 100 percent on keeping that one.

But this year I resolved to do more TT.

Usually I get active before a show, then fade away after the show has passed.

For example after VTE 2017 I packed up the TT until Western Rails 2018 was on the horizon in March.
Last year after VTE 2018 I stayed active. I built the 30 degree corner set and two small filler modules.

So I am going to try and do something every day. Fiddle with a car, work on a module, work on a structure. Anything to advance the layout. I figure that a lot of little things will give me more progress than a few big bursts of activity.

So far this year I am ahead of the game.
New Years eve I worked on the blocking to hold the Centurion tank in place on the flat car.
New Years day I removed the PSX2s from the power module and updated the wiring on the module.
Later that day I made the new board holding the PSX2s and the new cables they needed.
Tomorrow I am taking that board to work to redo the programming on them.

I will see how long I can keep this up before something gets in the way.
I am allowing myself a bit of slack where conventions, single day or multi day occur,although I really should build up a buffer of finished projects to cover them.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: 2019 New Years Resolution

Postby Bernd » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 am

Well now, I echo Bill's idea of not having a New Years Resolution.

I don't know if you can call what I want to do this year as a resolution, but I'm going to do some serious work on a TT module I started a while back. As of 1-1-2019 I have started on a two stall engine house for the module. I'll be doing a write up in the "Builders Corner".

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm

I guess that I stand different in trying to come up with reasonable challenges for resolutions. I must admit that sometimes the resolutions have been difficult to make, especially last year, with all the changes in my life last year, but for the most part, it has been fun to meet and beat the challenges.

Will I ever make a resolution that is exceedingly difficult for myself to meet? The answer is no, which is why I have refused to try to place going to a NTS as a resolution, as if anything major changes, such a resolution would flop hard.

Here is to a great year in TT Scale for 2019!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:06 am

This week's progress.
20190106_cars ready for service.jpg
As well as the power module work, these cars are now ready for service. The hoppers have new couplers, weight added and loads.
The tiny log car is providing to be a challenge. The trucks are Perevset arch bar trucks. A shorter truck would look better but these will do for now. The couplers are providing to be a problem. It needs an upcoupler. The Micro Trains 2004-1 box needs to be mounted half way into the body of the car. It should be milled out but I feel there is too little body to do so. I will probably file half the body away and mount the box on what is left.
I wouldn't mind a few more of these cars but I have no idea who the manufacturer was.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 am

The shorty log car.
IMG_20190106_221736.jpg
The couplers are installed. It is not a pretty job but a coat of paint will hide many faults.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby areibel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:27 am

Bill Dixon wrote:.
I wouldn't mind a few more of these cars but I have no idea who the manufacturer was.

Hi Bill,
Those little cast metal log cars are Christoph log buggies, they originally came with cast metal Arch Bar trucks that were pretty fragile. The old fix used to be a Kemtron brass arch bar that was actually HOn3 but the wheelbase was something like 42 inches so it came out to a 5 foot truck in TT. Any idea of what the Peresvet ones measure out to?
Thanks,
Al
areibel

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:33 pm

areibel wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:.

Hi Bill,
Those little cast metal log cars are Christoph log buggies, they originally came with cast metal Arch Bar trucks that were pretty fragile. The old fix used to be a Kemtron brass arch bar that was actually HOn3 but the wheelbase was something like 42 inches so it came out to a 5 foot truck in TT. Any idea of what the Peresvet ones measure out to?
Thanks,
Al

The trucks measure at six feet.
20190107_finished car.jpg
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 am

Things pile up while you are not paying attention.
20190110_a pile of maisto.jpg
I seem to have accumulated a lot of Maisto cars.
I already have ten plus cars converted. I will convert all the cars I do not already have converted yet, then decide what to do with the rest.
At least one of the tenders will become a MOW tender for a work train. Maybe a tank car or two into a fuel dealer. Repaint a caboose or two to match the locomotives I have. Going to need more trucks too.
The rest might be trade material.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Return to General Discussion