2019 National Train Show - Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: 2019 National Train Show - Salt Lake City, Utah

Postby tomvanhoy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 am

But St. Louis has the required humidity and a big river!
tomvanhoy

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:05 pm

We should move the future show comments to the relevant topics.

Now how about a Tour of the 2019 NTS Display Layout?

We start with the GuiTTar Case Layout.
IMG_20190714_150301.jpg
Always a crowd favourite. With the exception of an occasional stumble through the double slip switch, this continues to run well. I think that conducta lube will help. This is so well designed and executed that there is very little I can see doing to it. Bjoern did a very good job making this.

On to the first new foam return loop.
IMG_20190714_150316.jpg
Built May/June this worked well. Built of three major pieces and a triangular filler. We used duct tape to hold the sub modules together. I am working on an idea using Cable Finger Ducts to make locks to hold the individual pieces together. To fill up the empty space, Tibi is working on an idea for an oil terminal. We will see what transpires.

Next up are Richards two modules.
IMG_20190714_150330.jpg
These two modules have laser cut building and a very nice printed backdrop. The buildings still need windows and other details. Why the space between the modules? When Richard laid the track down, he used short pieces in the front mainline. These do not always add up to the same length as using longer pieces, as a result the front track on the right hand module was a mm and a half short. This was resolved by putting a BG4 (41.5mm) in the back line and a BG3 (43mm) in the front line. The track work is not complete as there will be several spurs added to serve the buildings in the back.

Next up is a #6 Crossover module and the the start of the West end of the station sidings, although we don't use the station corner module any more.
IMG_20190714_150350.jpg
The Kuehn 10 degree turnouts worked perfectly during the show. They look great. The straightness of the ballast line tells me that this is one of my later builds. None of them have powered turnouts yet, but various decoders, MP1s and servos are on hand to do so.
Behind the crossover module you can see the back track with the clip leads required to jumper power to the second line in the back.
The right hand module is the start of the station sidings. It was the first module to receive Kuehn turnouts. This module has been rebuilt several times and the foam under the track shows it. The module it connects to is in the next image.

These two modules are the second part of the West end of the station sidings and the second straight module ever built.
IMG_20190714_150402.jpg
The two modules making up the West end of the station sidings will be redundant when the new four track passenger station set comes into service. I am not sure yet whether the module pair will be stored serviceable, or stripped of their track and recycled.
The right hand straight module provides a conundrum. As the third straight module ever built, there is the desire to keep it a round as a legacy module. On the other hand the turnouts would be useful in the back industrial area.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:55 pm

CFRiad wrote:My Rheingold is bigger than yours...

Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:01 pm

This group of four modules provides access to the back industrial area as well as a connection to the back run a round track.
IMG_20190714_150413.jpg

The third (left) narrow module will go away when then new station modules are built. It is an awkward size and needs a box of its own.
The middle Farm scene module is the second straight module ever built. It will be kept as it is as a working Legacy Module.
Behind this is the triangular Oil Tank module. Its entire purpose of life was to provide access to the industrial area on the old Station Corner. I may keep it as an extended lead to the Industrial Area. On the other hand it does have two useful turnouts.
The right hand module, the Bridge Junction module debut at NTS 2015 in Portland.
It needs more scenery and the river could use some water. I have contemplated rebuilding it with a #6 turnout, but it changes the scene so much that I am going to live with it for now. The Spilt Atlas N-Scale Bridge on the rear line is a trick I am going to use again.

This is the back industrial area as it currently exists.
IMG_20190714_150422.jpg
One purpose built(rebuilt) module and a string of spare modules. The second module is ready to be rebuilt. I think I have enough turnouts for it.

This is the thirty degree corner set.
IMG_20190714_150432.jpg
Nice broad curves, R10 and R11, fits in one module box. Needs scenery. Trains look great on these nice broad curves.

IMG_20190714_150443.jpg
The module on the left is a 1/3 module piece cut from the Abandoned Crossing module. The short piece is a 1/6th module filler piece (one BG2 long).
The crossover module is built with a FastTracks HOm jig. Before FastTracks released their TT-Scale jigs they made an HOm jig. As HOm is the same 12mm gauge as TT-Scale, the turnouts are use able in TT-Scale. As built it only worked with North American equipment. The flange ways have since been widened to accommodate European equipment. The two holes in the front are where the turnout controls were originally located before they were moved to the rear out of reach of exploring hands. Built out of code 55 rail, everything runs through it as there are no spike heads to hit deep wheel flanges.

IMG_20190714_150456.jpg
Bjoern's double wide bridge module. Untouched since being built. If I were foolish enough to change this module, I would relay the s-curve on the rear line to a gentler curve.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:22 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Bjoern's double wide bridge module.
Many children really like watching the trains cross this bridge. One boy who visited our local show two years in a row spent most of his time there. I commented about it to his father who hadn't picked up on it but agreed it was so. As with the GuiTTar Case and the module with the baseball players, Bjoern's work stands out.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby CN-TT » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:22 am

Thank you so much for the posts and pictures from and about the show!!!
I'm glad to hear that people still like what we've built and so happy to see it at the shows!
There will be a day when I show up to play with it again. A also have a day in mind...unfortunately it is "someday".
Until then, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Bjoern
CN-TT

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:23 am

CN-TT wrote:Thank you so much for the posts and pictures from and about the show!!!
I'm glad to hear that people still like what we've built and so happy to see it at the shows!
There will be a day when I show up to play with it again. A also have a day in mind...unfortunately it is "someday".
Until then, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Bjoern

Hello Bjoern

Good to hear from you.
The work you did is holding up to the stress of displaying and many people enjoy what you created.
If you have any more interesting ideas for us to try on modules, please send them to us.

We all hope to see you someday, if not on this side of the pond, then perhaps in 2022 when the NMRA National goes to Birmingham.

Until we see you again, keep well.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:45 am

On with out layout tour.

This is another of Bjoern's modules, the baseball diamond.
IMG_20190714_150504.jpg
Another crowd favourite especially among the children.

This is the memorial module.
IMG_20190714_150510.jpg
It is missing its station (added later) and flag. My attempt to model a ride on mini rail in the rear was removed. I need to find some 1-1200 trains or some such size to try again. I do have, or had, some 1-1200 trains from my 1-1200 Naval Wargaming days, but that was more than a few decades ago and I have no idea where they would be or if I still have them.

This is the first large radius corner set.
IMG_20190714_150523.jpg
Introduced in 2017 they have what is hoped to be the new Mainline minimum radius R6 and R7. They are split here by two thirds of the abandoned railway crossing module. If you look closely you can see that the front corners have been cut away. This is so they can fit in a standard module box. This eliminated one 30" big cardboard box that was a pain to handle and transport.

A BG1 filler module and another #6 crossover module.
IMG_20190714_150535.jpg
The new Kuehn #6 turnouts have really improved the appearance and operation of our displays. Trains look so much better running through them and long cars run better through them. These turnouts are definitely a good thing for TT-Scale.

Two of Tibi's modules.
IMG_20190714_150544.jpg
A crossover module made with Tilig turnouts. I believe that they are powered by MP1 turnout motors. Then the staging yard access module set. The sharp curves on these modules are causing operational problems with long cars. Tibi is currently working on how to rebuild these with much gentler curves.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 am

Next up is another of Bjoern's modules.
IMG_20190714_150607.jpg
We have speculated on ideas to get the mainline up to use the bridge but nothing reasonable has come up yet.

This innocuous module is the power connection for the whole layout.
IMG_20190714_150618.jpg
There used to be PSX2s under neat to provide individual power protect to the four sections of the layout but as they refused to work as advertised, they were removed. The module currently has two terminal strips with power connectors.

The left hand module of Voytek's first three module set.
IMG_20190714_150630.jpg
Very well done. Looks good and runs well.

The left hand module of Voytek's Grain Elevator pair of modules.
IMG_20190714_150648.jpg
Again very good looking. The turnout was powered but for some reason it died early. The throw wire was removed and the turnout spiked in the mainline position.

The right hand module of Voytek's Grain Elevator pair of modules.
IMG_20190714_150654.jpg
Another good looking module. Voytek does very good work.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:06 pm

This is the middle module of Voytek's original three module set.
IMG_20190714_150702.jpg
It has a nice mine scene and a tunnel as a scenic block.The tunnel has enough clearance for catenary if you desire to install it.

This is the right hand module of Voytek's original three module set.
IMG_20190714_150713.jpg
A very nicely done scene with the exception of the track work on the right end of the module. The short S-Curve in the track is too sharp for good operation. Happily there is enough space on the module to fix this. If the station platform and water tank swapped sides, enough room would be gained to ease the s-curve.

Next is another Kuehn crossover module.
IMG_20190714_150736.jpg
Currently manually operated like the other three crossover modules. Been spending some time thinking about motorising the turnouts and adding simple route signalling.

Then we come to Module One.
IMG_20190714_150741.jpg
It has been in every setup we have had and will probably be in every setup in the foreseeable future.

The Diamond corner was the first 'Large' corner built.
IMG_20190714_150750.jpg
It has been in every setup we have had. It is a nice scene however it has a problem. The curves on it, R4/R5, no longer meet our new minimum of R6. It was time it was replaced with a new larger curve set. I don't know yet if it will be a 45 degree corner set or a thirty degree corner set. Whichever is built, the scene on this module will be recreated on the new module set. The module itself will be retired and retained as a legacy module.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Events