2019 National Train Show - Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: 2019 National Train Show - Salt Lake City, Utah

Postby Richard-B » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am

RodTT wrote:I consider over an hour to a show to be a long drive...
It depends on the hour...
Here in the Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area... anything under an hour is considered a GOOD commute!

Next plan is to get up to VTE in Vancouver Nov 9th-10th...
'only' 962 miles each way!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 pm

RodTT wrote:I don't know how you guys do it. I consider over an hour to a show to be a long drive...

These guys are pros ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Richard-B wrote:
RodTT wrote:I consider over an hour to a show to be a long drive...
It depends on the hour...
Here in the Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area... anything under an hour is considered a GOOD commute!

Next plan is to get up to VTE in Vancouver Nov 9th-10th...
'only' 962 miles each way!

Your dedication to TT is nothing short of amazing. Keep it up.
RodTT

Postby dileTTante » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:43 pm

ConducTTor wrote:These guys are pros ;)
Not so much pros (except Bill and Tibi), more like nuts - TT Nuts, as our shirts attest. But it's true we are experienced. At one point I realised we could identify nature of accidents - if the trains are derailed and like an accordion then it's a collision. Although it appears to be a double track, the TT Tracks layout is really one track and running more than one train requires constant attention to the relative speeds of the trains - which I for one am not good at doing. If the mishap is near a turnout, likely the turnout wasn't thrown properly. If most of the train is still together but lying on its side, then the cause is 'child proximity', a constant threat.

A motivation for us, I think, is that none of us except Voytek has a layout at home. The only way we get to see our trains run on a layout is at the shows.

You'll be seeing us again at a small event in Vancouver Labour Day weekend.

- Terry C
Attachments
P1010432R.JPG
from S gauge nuts
P1010417R.JPG
P1010425R.JPG
P1010442R.JPG
P1010543R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:02 am

The tablecloth color is perfect in so many ways. Love everything you guys are doing.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:57 am

Thursday morning Tibi took the layout apart to install the table cloths. The neon green was the only reasonable colour I could find at Wally world. They were CRAP! So flimsy that they would tear at the slightest excuse.
The N-Scale T-Track layout beside us had a better idea, slip on table covers.
IMG_20190710_173921 Table Skirts.jpg
These fully cover the table. They said they bought them on Amazon and that they were $10 or so each. I checked and they are closer to $20.00. We would need at least a dozen of them. They are a good idea but we don't have $240 to spare right now. Needs thought.

The turnout on the Bridge Junction module stopped conducting power up the diverging route.
IMG_20190714_150413 Bridge Junction Module.jpg
I added jumper wires.

This short module BG2 long,
IMG_20190714_150856 Short Jumper Module.jpg
needed jumpers added to it to make the old reverse loop work for the staging yard.

On Saturday one of the Anderson Power Pole connectors on the 45 degree corner set came apart. Poor solder joint. Fixed that Sunday AM.
The left hand siding turnout on Voyteks Grain Elevator module set stopped working. We spiked it for the main line. We also added a power connector to his modules.

Most equipment ran well on the modules except for three locations.
The sharp S-Curve coming out of the staging yard will be rebuilt by Tibi.
The sharp S-Curves on the right end of Voyteks modules need to be rebuilt to a broader radius. There is room to rebuild the trackage.
The last large curve module, the Diamond Corner, used ever since our first setup, has a minimum radius of R4 on it. It is time to retire it and replace it with another 45 degree or thirty degree corner set. That would bring our minimum mainline radius up to R6.

Wednesday we needed clip leads to power the back tracks.
IMG_20190711_161629 clip leads.jpg
Power is fed to the front track only from the layout, so clip leads are used to jumper it to the back track.
B & B Hobby Supplies (hobbytools.com) sold me a set before they were open.
IMG_20190712_082650 b and b hobby supplies.jpg
I went back to them several times for files, Walthers Goo, Canopy Cement, and LED Name Tags. They had a lot of interesting stuff there. I could have easily spent my whole show budget and then some there.

Next posting tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:09 am

OK a last few words before going to bed.

Wednesday evening I worked on equipment until I ran out of couplers.
Boston and Albany Hobbies out of New Hampshire sold me a couple of packages of MicroTrains couplers.
IMG_20190712_082533. Boston and Albany Hobbiesjpg.jpg
Tibi went back there Sunday to purchase couplers for his cars.

I worked on a trio of HP Streamline Passenger cars. They need a lot of work. They are too light, need new trucks (I have resin ones) and couplers that will pivot so they can handle curves. I am thinking that I will need to make new floors for these models. Not sure about pivoting couplers yet but thinking about it.

Richard brought a selection of Zeuke cars to sell. Tibi and I relieved him of a few.

Kadee released a new HOn3 coupler. When I first saw it, I didn't think that it would work for us as the coupler box was rather large compared to a MicroTrains coupler. On examining it closer I think it will be useful. It won't work on Tank Cars or Hoppers, but should be useful for box cars, stock cars and other full body cars. I purchased a few sets and will report back on the results.

Piko was there but didn't have any TT-Scale or any TT-Scale catalogues.

OK time for bed. Work tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Rich1853 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:30 am

ConducTTor wrote:The tablecloth color is perfect in so many ways. Love everything you guys are doing.

Yes it was my landmark looking at all the YouTube videos of the show. When that gentleman taking the video turned that corner from the vendor area back towards the layouts I was so excited when I notice that color.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby dileTTante » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:21 am

That video I downloaded and saved because it's a good souvenir of the weekend. One layout omitted that I know of is the HO European group from the northwest US, if I remember right. They had European trains running but a large portion of the layout was out of service, the joins between the modules were removed. Don't know why.
Their display at the show in Portland 2015 was more impressive.

ConducTTor wrote:Dammit he barely spent any time with the layout. I wish he had taken the time to show NA prototype models.

I'm sorry you guys are unhappy that the TT in the video is not N. American. That's my Rheingold going by, perhaps the only TT one in US, most likely the only one in N America with lights in the cars which I installed (and not from any kit).

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:17 pm

It's all good, not your fault. He just didn't bother to want to know more - that's what annoyed me.

Perhaps there's another Rheingold set with lit cars in NA ;)

ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events