2019 BCSME -- Episode Two

2019 BCSME -- Episode Two

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:53 am

The next display will be at the BCSME on Labour day weekend. It is only two days and will be a two man event as Tibi will be away at a wedding.
As a result the display has been stripped down to a basic loop to loop with no staging yard.
The industrial area will be the staging yard. Only the two 45 degree and thirty degree corner sets are used so the minimum mainline curve is R6.
2019 BCSME two..jpg
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: 2019 BCSME -- Episode Two

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 pm

Our second setup at BCSME is this coming weekend.
I have inquired if we can setup Saturday afternoon or after the public has left.
2019 BCSME two..jpg
I have stripped the display down to minimise what I have to pack and to minimise setup/tear down time. I am open to suggestions to change it.
This does include one module I have not built yet but I have enough spares to cover that.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm

BCSME has confirmed that we can start setup at 5pm Saturday.
I hope to be there a bit earlier.

Tibi if you are coming, we need shims.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:59 pm

I will come by at 5 and bring shims.
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Saturday setup went well. Started at 5pm finished at 7pm.
20190901_Saturday Setup.jpg
As usual the actual setup deviated from the plan.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:41 pm

First day first thing my HP Pacific ran for at least two hours. I forgot to glue the bell back on it again. Very satisfying to have it running. Larger curves on the layout helped a lot. New Kadee 705 couplers on the freight worked well.
Bill will post more text and photos about the day.
- Terry C
Attachments
P1010588R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:34 pm

The first day ran well. The usual coupler issues but nothing serious. Only one little hands incident.
We ran up to four short trains at once. Most of the day we ran US.
The u shapped display was easy to monitor from the open end of the U.
The highlight of the day was Terry's H P Pacific. After trying to run it for several years it finally ran well. Several hours at the start of the day and the last hour.
20190901_on bridge.jpg

20190901_H P ,4-6-2.jpg
She looked really good and was a hit with the public.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Guys,
The layout looks fantastic! The Pacific looks great, glad to hear it’s running well, and I really like the GS&F Boxcar, too. Are there decals available anywhere for this car? Really nice work!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby MacG » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 am

Really nice to see an HP Pacific running. :clap: The U-shaped is a good concept. :thumbup:

The GS&F car is one from Lok-n-Roll produced box cars. Mike has made four wooden box cars after buying Gold Coast. Two MWR "Ball Glass" and two GS&F, all with pad printing.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby dileTTante » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:12 am

Thank you for the compliments. We ran the the Pacific again with coal cars: I liked the box cars better. I'm hoping to get some passenger cars behind it eventually.

Only one serious wrecked train incident during our second day on Labour Day. The venue is very popular for families to ride the outdoor trains and we get lots of children around our layout. Generally the day went well, and the outdoor train society had a crowd of visitors for the last holiday weekend.

The reduced TT Tracks layout still provided room for long trains and remained entertaining for visitors. Bill amused himself by periodically siding a slow train to allow the faster one to pass.

The HP Pacific ran again for more than two hours - maybe three. On its initial run a couple years ago it ran one day and failed the next day, so I'm pleased with this progress. Its weight and lack of suspension show up the track irregularities. The current draw of its motor is apparent but manageable. It looks okay in the photos but close up there's no hiding that it needs a makeover. Recent shows - in March, in Salt Lake City, and this weekend took a toll on my locomotives. Several need repair. Lack of replacemet parts will make some of this work difficult.

We used the weekend as an opportunity to try controllers. Bill is beta-testing wi-fi throttles from Scale Signal Systems which he acquired at the Salt Lake City show. I got used to the Roco wlan Multimaus. Also tried an app called LocoTouch which is basic and simple to use. It works with the Z21. Myself, I'll try to use this app more often, and I'm trying to use the new Roco app more than the old one. I get easily confused but Bill is patient with me.

Judging from this weekend I expect good things from our next event in October.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Next

Return to Events