2018 Western Rails

Re: 2018 Western Rails

Postby dileTTante » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:09 am

We got set up but haven't run anything yet. Lots of space at the show and we tried to fill it. More tomorrow.
-Terry C
Attachments
P1000577R.JPG
P1000578.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:46 am

dileTTante wrote:We got set up but haven't run anything yet. Lots of space at the show and we tried to fill it. More tomorrow.
-Terry C

We had spare modules and there was space and spare tables, so we used them.
Not as big as Chilliwack 2017, but getting there.

Lots of room in the hall. One major vendor (10 tables) pulled out due to illness.

So far setup went reasonably well.
We decided to use two Z21 systems, one for the layout and one for the GuiTTar layout. We had three systems there so that was not a problem.

Off to bed for a short nights sleep. Need to be at the hall for 7am to help load in and setup the store.
More tomorrow, or more correctly later today.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:49 pm

There were few exhibitors at our show last Sunday and few visitors, and so, just a few photos. As Bill indicated, empty space in the venue and spare tables allowed us to expand the layout. Low attendance isn't a good sign for future shows but meant less stress for us. As always, though, there was interest in our TT. Billl Dixon is now curator for the work of art known as The GuiTTar Case (I think we should get the artist's signature on the creation sometime).

Voytek brought his beautiful modules and some trains. I'm sure this is the only place in N. America showing Polish locomotives in TT.

Honorary junior member Jayden showed up and helped for a short time.

-Terry C
Attachments
P1000582R.JPG
P1000583R.JPG
P1000589R.JPG
P1000596R.JPG
P1000600R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:59 pm

With this show we began our eighth year of exhibiting TT in the Vancouver BC area. The regular exhibitors at the shows are familiar with us and by now are certainly aware of TT scale, and many visitors remember us from other shows. While we still get people who don't know what scale they're seeing in front of them, some express a serious interest. It's gratifying to know that we have made a good impression for TT scale.

Myself, I feel privileged to be associated with the guys who contribute so much to our TT fun.
- Terry C
Attachments
P1000591R.JPG
P1000592R.JPG
P1000593R.JPG
P1000594R.JPG
P1000605R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 am

Here is the final layout.
There were extra tables, unused modules and lots of space so we used it.
2018 Western Rails Final.jpg

We could have gone a bit larger as we still had unused modules.

None of us did much sine the VTE in November and it showed. One crossover module we tried to use had failed at VTE and was not repaired. We swapped it out.
One loop was acting up with long cars so we ran British style in reverse direction and all was well. It need a bit of adjustment at the folding joint.

All in all it ran very well.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CN-TT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi from Germany,

it's good to see the GuiTTar case back home!!! I hope everything was working fine!? Did you read the fineprint, Bill? There is no such thing like a return policy :lol:
I want to play on the big layout! One day I will be back to visit all of you at a show and I promise beer is on me after that!

Bjoern
CN-TT

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:52 pm

What a long weekend. Ended up very tired but happy at the end of it all.
Saturday setup went well.
Sunday ran well with only two hitches mentioned before.

The GuiTTar layout was a hit with all ages.
Ran on about a 45 minutes on, 15 minutes off cycle.
Started with an empty layout and then brought two cars at a time onto the layout. Did that until I had six cars on the layout. Then I would bring two new cars on the layout and take two off. Wound down by taking the cars off the layout two at a time.
It runs very well with six cars. Still OK with eight but is a real puzzle with ten cars.

The GuiTTar ran well. I used manual uncoupling as I couldn't get the remote uncoupling to work reliably. You mentioned that it worked well with Kadee couplers. All my cars have MicoTrains couplers so that may be the problem. I will have to assemble a dedicated set of cars for the display.

Had MANY good comments from viewers of all ages. The best one was a fellow that said had a friend who wanted trains but didn't have space. But he has guitars so the fellow was going to show his friend a picture of the display and say you no longer have an excuse to not build a layout.
Many people took pictures or videos of the layout. A photographer from the Burnaby Now newspaper stopped by and took alot of pictures so it may be in the papers some day.
A representative from the BCSME stopped by and asked if we were bringing it to the park one day.
We will when we decide on a weekend.
It was very enjoyable running the layout and very rewarding watching the people watching the display.

You had a great idea Bjoern and executed it brilliantly! The only question is, what are you going to do next?

I have pictures, but not on this device (tablet), and will post them from home later.

After the teardown and load out of both the layout and Central Hobbies we went to Red Robin for the traditional 3Bs, beer, burgers and bs. That first sip of beer was wonderful! It was at that point that I realized how tired I was. We had a great meal and then home to crash.
Unloaded the van Monday afternoon, making sure to dig out the module that needed work.

Will post more with the pictures.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 pm

CN-TT wrote:One day I will be back to visit all of you at a show and I promise beer is on me after that!

We miss you too. So, November?
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes, we had a great weekend. The layout ran well, we had lots off trains, great variety, I loved it. As usual, I did not take photos.

My biggest :doh: moment of the weekend was when we started the takedown and found the baseball court module unused, in its box. :wall: . Oh well, next time.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:04 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:None of us did much sine the VTE in November and it showed

Yes, Tibi needs to get off his Haggis and do the bunch of work piled up.
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Events