2018 Setup at BCSME

Re: 2018 Setup at BCSME

Postby CFRiad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:50 am

Bill Dixon wrote:[...] next weekend the 20-22.

I also have Friday off and can be there anytime for the setup.
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 pm

CFRiad wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:[...] next weekend the 20-22.

I also have Friday off and can be there anytime for the setup.

Bruce got back to me today.
Friday is a play day for the BCSME. They will be onsite from 10am.
If we started at 2pm, we should be finished in time for dinner.

As well he indicated that the Wednesday meeting could be relocated if we wish to leave the layout setup for the whole week and run for two weekends.
I am inclined to say yes. It gets rid of a tear down and another setup five days later.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 am

2PM is fine.
-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby CFRiad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm

2 pm it is, then.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:[...] leave the layout setup for the whole week and run for two weekends. I am inclined to say yes.

So am I.
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 am

Packed and ready for the show.
20180720_Loaded.jpg
Everytime I pack, I find a new way to do it. As we did not need to bring any six foot tables, things fit better.

Should not be too hot for the setup.
Didn't get much equipment worked on. Did find one of my Shapeways flat cars and got a Noch shed kit built, so as well as working on modules a bit of progress has been made.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Got to the hall a bit before 2 pm. Terry was a bit later and Tibi shortly after that.
The BCSME members helped set up the tables. The layout is a large as it could be with access around it.
20180720_Setup in progress.jpg
They indicated that if we wanted, we could put against one wall. I will measure the space and see if that would make more interesting future setups.

We levelled the tables and checked them for sags. Some tables are starting to show their age and sagging a bit.

Then setup the modules and levelled them. Not too many issues. Had to take a center foot off of one module that straddled two tables. The center foot was balancing on the high table edges.

Added power and started to debug. Had two issues, one of my long cables, one wire pulled out of its connector. A poor solder joint. I crimped it for now and will solder it up tomorrow am. One of our wye cable that splits the output of the Z21 to run both lines didn't work. It worked at Western Rails. It meters OK but doesn't work. Happily we had a spare. Will check further tomorrow.

Then power up and run an European locomotive around the layout to test and . . .
20180720_no 6 crossover.jpg
the #6 crossover module I modified for European flanges worked perfectly. We ran the loco and a train of cars through it all ways with no issues. Tomorrow we will try it with long passenger trains but right now things are looking good.

Then we packed up and went for dinner.
We went to Cockney Kings for fish-and-chips and
IMG_20180720_175217.jpg
beer! You have to get your priorities right.
A good discussion on changes, improvements and other ideas was a had.

Tibi and I will be at the hall early (9:30 am ish) and Terry will be by early afternoon.
It is going to be a good weekend!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby TiTan downunder » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:36 am

>> beer! You have to get your priorities right <<

To right !! The trains will run sooooo much better after 3 or 4 schooners.

Have a great week-end.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 pm

First weekend, First Day of running.

I was in early to fix the bad cable.
20180721_bad_cable.jpg
The blue wire had a bad solder joint and pulled out of its connector. Yesterday I crimped it as best I could with the tools I had. Today I resoldered it.
Going to check all my cable connections after the setup.

All was going well before the public showed up until 15 minutes before opening when Tibi said I don't have power to the staging yard. A half an hour of debugging later we found a poor crimp on one of his cables. A blue wire again. A quick solder job and we were back in action.

The morning North American session ran well. One box car needs its coupler fixed.

The afternoon European session had a problem. Tibi was trying to run a passenger train. It would run a few feet, 5, 10, 20 or so and stop with a short. Running the locomotive by itself had no issues. He took the train off to check it later and ran something else. When he checked the passenger cars, one two-car articulated set had a problem. In the middle three axle truck, the center axle had come loose and was randomly shorting the track.

The GuiTTar layout ran well, when the operator figured out the momentum and stopped running turnouts when he got distracted.

20180721_Layout.jpg
Here is the layout late in the afternoon.
Had the usual crop of little hands touching. Some good discussions with people interested in TT-Scale. Many nice comments about the GuiTTar layout.

It was a good day.
The it was off to Cristos Taverna for . . . .
20180721_Dinner and beer.jpg
you guessed it - Beer and dinner.

Looking forward to another good day tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby tomvanhoy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 am

Looking great. The layout has come a long way since I saw your work in Indy! Inspiring!
tomvanhoy

PreviousNext

Return to Events