2018 set up in September at BCSME

2018 set up in September at BCSME

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:50 am

This last setup showed the need for more space between our modules and the table edges.
I have been doodling a few ideas trying to do this without ending up with a solid block of tables.
2018 BCSME September Firsl..jpg
First try. Workable but a bit tight in the centre.

2018 BCSME September 2nd try.jpg
Second try. OK but no return loop on the staging yard.

2018 BCSME September Third..jpg
Third attempt.
This needs new modules, 1/3 pieces and i need to bring one more of the old large corners. Not a problem as they are still in existence and I have one more transportation box.
For now I prefer the third setup as it has the most space inside. It does leave on edge of a return loop exposed but I think the addition of a plastic shield will help there.

For all three setups the new power interface module will go where the Z21 Power note is.
Still got a month to think about this.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: 2018 set up in September at BCSME

Postby CFRiad » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Just to confirm, we are booked for Sunday and Monday, correct? When is the set-up?
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:11 pm

CFRiad wrote:Just to confirm, we are booked for Sunday and Monday, correct? When is the set-up?

Setup will be Saturday after 5PM when the public is gone.
We will be running Sunday/Monday.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 pm

A fourth and I hope final plan.
2018 bcsme FOUR..jpg

Confirm setup is Saturday evening.
I plan to be there about 5:15PM.
As soon as the public has sufficiently cleared, we will go in and unload.

There is a Volunteers appreciation BBQ that evening.
We are included in that group so we will have supper there while we setup.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:09 am

Our hosts had a volunteer appreciation dinner to mark the 1 millionth rider on their railway. We had burgers, cake and a celebratory chocolate gold coin.

After dinner we started and setting up and finished in under two hours, including levelling. We are getting really good at this.

The layout is now split in two power districts, one powered by a Z21 controller, the other by Terry's new booster. The first tests are promising. The proof is in the pudding, though: tomorrow we will run the first locos.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 pm

After day 1

It was very good first day. The layout ran well: the power districting with the Z21 and the Roco booster worked flawlessly. The increased distance from the table edges to the modules kept intruding little hands away (the new "don't dare touching" signs also helped). The crowds were big at times. Trains ran well. The few derailments were caused, as usual, by the operator's (i.e. Tibi's) inattention. We closed the day with dinner and beers.

There were only two problems. The PSX-2s don't get along with the frog juicers, causing polarity change hiccups; we bypassed the PSX-2s. Also a transition between code 70 and code 83 rails is bumpy so Bill will smooth it out tomorrow morning before opening.
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:50 pm

It has been a good weekend.

We had a good setup Saturday evening and a good feed by the BCSME. There were even leftovers for Sunday.

As Tibi mentioned the PSXs didn't work. Reading the instructions today, it is set to act like a fast blow fuse, i.e. right away. We can program a delay into the unit to allow the auto reverser to work before the PSXs act. I will get that done at work this week.

I worked on the joining tracks on one of the return loops. They were lifting. This morning I nailed them in place and filed the rail ends to smooth the joints.

The new sway back module worked well. We have determined that if we put it just before the staging yard access, we can rebuild the access module with a better turnout and gentler curves.

Brought a lot of US equipment into service.
Sunday it was three new billboard reefers, five Gold Coast box cars and repaired a few. Also assembled a 20 pack of MicroTrains couplers. The 20 pack is the same price as a two-pair assembled pack. A nail and a strategically placed piece of wood on a block of wood made a handy assembly jig.

Today I assembled two original Gold Coast flat box car kits, and added couplers to seven more box cars.
Except for flat cars and gondolas, we now have a good selection of equipment to run.

As my reefer is a 40' car and most billboard reefers are 36', I am going to see if I can shorten it, or perhaps build a 36' car.

We resurrected my Possum Valley equipped Lionel GP-9. It ran OK but needs work to tighten it up. I will see what can be done before Chilliwack. Time to look at my other Lionel units to see what can be done with them.

We had a good meal Sunday night, and two of us went out tonight.

It was a very good weekend.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:56 am

As usual the display deviated a bit from the plan.
2018 BCSME September Final..jpg
We replaced one module on the left side with the baseball Diamond. The staging yard was moved one BG2 to the left with a single piece of track.
20180902_2nd BCSME Display.jpg
The wide expanse of table around most of the display cut down, but did not eliminate the little hands issue.

We were talking about changing the staging yard access. By putting the new sway back module next to the yard access we could reduce the curve into the staging yard.
20180903 New Staging Yard Access..jpg
Another way to do this would be to make the yard access module longer, say four BG1 instead of three.

We need a bigger staging yard.
20180903_WSe need a biger staging yard.jpg
Here it is almost full of North American equipment. The second State of Maine car on the table top and my Canada 150 box car were the only two Gold Coast box cars were not used on the second day.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:17 am

I worked on a lot of North American equipment on the weekend.
The new billboard reefers were put into service on Sunday.
20180903_new reefers.jpg
These are printed paper sides on my 40' reefers. I smoothed of the detail from the sides of the car. The images were straightened in Gimp and then sized to fit the 40'car. As most of the images were from 36' cars there is some distortion. I am going to look into making a 36' car. The Banana reefer has a different image on either side. MicroTrains did both cars last month in N-Scale and I decided to put one on each side. I am going to do this with more Billboard reefers. It is an old school idea to double the apparent size of your fleet.

Sunday after I added couplers to five box cars, (and fixed a few more) I assembled couplers.
20180902_coupler assembly.jpg
The simple jig I made, made this easy. I only lost one coupler trip pin. The 1016 couplers are a bit longer than others I have used so they mount a bit differently. I drill a 00-90 hole just behind the hole in the floor of the car. I have a few cars to go back and change. I am going to buy these in brown, if they are made in that colour, next time.

Have couplers, will use therm.
20180903_Sunday new equipment.jpg
This equipment is now in service.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:27 am

Not everything ran perfectly.
There were coupler issues. A few cars were found to be too light and need weight.

Every now and then we would get distracted when running trains and . . .
20180903_a momentary lapse of attention.jpg
Train number two caught up with train number one with the results shown. While this was being cleaned up, look in the trees in the background, train number three decided to join the action. Nothing was broken and we had a few laughs.

We started teardown at 4:30 and finished in good time. Loaded Tibi first and then my van.

We were left with:
20180903_where did it go.jpg
I swear there was a layout here not long ago.

We had a good relaxing time, much better than the last setup in HOT July. BCSME was happy to have us.
We are invited back next year and we will come back.

Now to start planning for Chilliwack in six weeks.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Return to Events