2018 November VTE

Re: 2018 November VTE

Postby CFRiad » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:40 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
CFRiad wrote:Riffing on the original option. Can we overstep the original footprint? Can we? Please say yes...

option4.jpg

Maybe. Won't know until we get there.

Our official load-in time is 15:00 Friday afternoon. I hope to be there a bit early.

I will try to be there around 14:45, traffic dependent.
CFRiad

Postby Marquette » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 am

I'll be there too so you'll at least have an extra body at the tables!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CFRiad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:45 am

Marquette wrote:I'll be there too so you'll at least have an extra body at the tables!

We always welcome a helping hand to run trains
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:58 am

Loaded for the show.
20181108_loaded for vte.jpg
The van is extra full as there are a few crates for the store, tables and fatigue mats under everything.

Things done:
New pins for the bridge.
Couplers checked on all cars.
Remotored F3. Didn't help. I think the trucks have worn out. Maybe swap in trucks from a GP chassis.
No answer back from DCC specialties as to power issues so we will go with the setup we had at Chilliwack.
Received my Budd Passenger car from Shiteways. That name will give you an idea of the lack of quality of the product.

Will be at the hall by 3 PM tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby voyttek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 am

My plan is, if everything goes well on the road to arrive app 3pm.

Voytek
voyttek

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:40 am

It was a good show.
And I added three more cars to the ICE 1
-Terry C
Attachments
P1010142R.JPG
P1010118R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Richard-B » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 pm

dileTTante wrote:It was a good show.
I miss being able to drive up and participate...
NEXT YEAR... he said hopefully....
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby dileTTante » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 am

We certainly missed having you here, Richard. We also missed Bjoern, and I still miss seeing Mark. The show made me think about all the good people I have met through exhibiting TT. (I usually think this while having a beer with the group.)

Since no one else has commented so far, here are some more photos. Voytek ran a Polish train of 16 flat cars carrying military vehicles. It was impressive, but I didn't get a good photo of it. Tibi brought his very new Tillig E94 which ran well but slowly. As mentioned earlier I added cars to the ICE but I also had a new ICE3 from Piko to run with it. The ICE trains are very popular with the children. Many people commented about riding these trains in Europe. I was a bit envious because I've never been to Europe.

For North American which was run Sunday, we had a yard full of freight, about 80 cars. Alas, despite the abundance of N. American passenger cars in TT, we still have none. And the locomotives still are all SW1200s.

We were all tired before the show even started, I think. The weekend was good but even more tiring. The show was well attended and there were many exhibitors and vendors. Lots of people and noise, children keen on wrecking trains.

There was a well-done break Sunday morning to honour the memory of those who fought in war.

A big problem was train control. The venue installed a major wi-fi system for a commercial provider and the signal overpowers our routers. Tibi's router worked better than mine for the Z21, and we were able to continue operating.

For some reason I still try to promote TT. Saturday I talked to one fellow who wanted to start modeling and wasn't already burdened with a bunch of N scale stuff. I gave him a long sermon about TT. He's checking us out. I'm hopeful (but not optimistic) that he'll join us. One of the positives I mentioned to him was the great, supportive bunch of people who are in TT and in our group.

- Terry C
Attachments
P1010130R.JPG
P1010131R.JPG
P1010128R.JPG
P1010119R.JPG
P1010133R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:56 pm

It was a looong tiring weekend but fun and well worth the effort to put on the display.

Ignoring the work on models and modules the weeks before the event, the event really started Wednesday evening with a prepack at home.

Thursday I loaded the van, see previous posting for a picture.

Friday at the store I loaded more into the already full van.
Then off to the hall for 3 PM. Right into the hall to unload. Take the van outside and walk back into the cold hall.
Looked at the space we were given, and then at the big unused space beside up. Talked to the owners of that space to see if we could use some of it. OK. Talked to the show organiser to see of we could expand to use some of that space. OK.
So our display grew from about 13' x 32' to 11 1/2' x 38'. A nice jump in size. I had brought my three six-foot tables along just in case, and we used them.
We setup and levelled the tables. And removed staples.
We setup and connected the modules and then levelled them.
(Oh and well these two things were happening, I was down at the booth setting up the store sales tables and lights.)
Then apply power an try and run a train.

Short circuit! After some testing we found that Voyteks' new modules had a wiring issue, so we removed them and replaced then with spares.
Ran a train around the layout a few times and then retired to the bar for the three Bs: Beer, burger and BS.
Then home to bed early.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Saturday - the calm before the storm.
20181110_Saturday before the public.jpg

Saturday dawned way too early. I had to be in the hall at 7 am to setup the store.
While I was doing this, the guys were checking Voyteks’ modules to see if he managed to fix them Friday night. Sad to say no, so we ran both days with the filler modules.

After the store was set up I went back to the display to setup the GuiTTar layout.
It didn’t work! I had power on the plug from the Z21 but when I plugged it in, there was no power on the socket. After a few rounds of unplug and test, plug and test, pull out the layout and check underneath, cut wires, it became obvious that the problem was not at the layout end. That just left the Z21 which had a nice solid blue light, and the cable that plugged into the Z21 . . . . which had a bad wire. %$@@#
When I unplugged the cable from the GuiTTar it moved the cable enough for the wire to make contact. When I plugged it into the GuitTTar it moved the cable enough to break the contact. I fixed that end of the cable. Not having a soldering iron to hand, I stripped the ends of the wires I had cut and twisted them together tightly.
The GuiTTar case layout then ran well both days. I will solder the twisted wires in the next day or so. Xenia had a good time running the display Saturday.

Saturday was a European equipment day. Not being there much, I was at the store most of the day, I presume it ran well.

The public show ended at 6 PM. After clean up the guys went for fish-n-chips.
I stayed behind to close up the store sales booth, and then went to the store. Then home to an early bed.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Events