2018 Cilliwack Lions Club Display

Re: 2018 Cilliwack Lions Club Display

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:11 am

This is the plan of the display we actually setup.
2018 Chilliwack Final.jpg

As we are setup against the wall between two fire exit doors, there is a limit how long we can be.
We determined that we could go one table longer. Will do some doodles to see how that will work.

We did not use all the modules we had. The two half width modules, the 2/3 module and the old wye access module were unused. As well Voytek had half (2 modules) of his new Grain Elevator scene there. So 2019 could be up to seven modules longer.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Operations wise we used Terry's Z21 and booster to run the layout.
Various cell phones and tablets were used to run trains.
I had the use of a Z21® WiFi-MULTIMAUS®. It worked well once I understood the menus and got the language changed to English. It will be mine when I can scrape up the funds. I prefer the knob to the sliders on the cell phone. I will stick to the tablet for the GuiTTar case layout.
I had a Digtirax throttle there but we didn't need it.

Once we got past the power module issues, everything ran well.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 pm

We also tried to make operation more complicated.

We ran 4 and 5 trains at a time. The limitation is no longer the track or the rolling stock available, but the number of people operating and the number of tablets/phones/throttles with charged batteries.

Next we ran the ICE at high speed along with a slow passenger train. The challenge was to not having to slow down or stop the ICE. Clever use of sidings, undivided focus and strict turnout discipline were at play.

Then we put together a work train on the main line and we ran two trains while single-tracking for a section of the layout. The new slick crossovers proved essential.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Also Terry had a revelation. He is excellent at talking with the public and for the last few years he was telling everybody that there is no North American material available.

This weekend he looked at the two trains running and four yard tracks chuck-full of cars and he decided to change the "nobody makes NA trains" speech.

No joke, with the new MTB hoppers, things are happening. Maybe not as fast as we would like, but they are happening. We now need a road loco.
CFRiad

Postby dileTTante » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Yes, Tibi's newly expanded staging yard allowed for the first time a great lot of freight cars to be on track at the same time. It was impressive. It showed forcefully that I had not been paying attention to progress in N. American TT.

Still, last I heard, N American railroads have other locomotives besides SW1200, and TT doesn't. It's embarrassing.

The recent shows have been rather discouraging. Attendance has dropped and I felt that with TT we were just spinning our wheels, so to speak. But this show and this layout restored the fun.

The novelty of the straight line layout for the show overshadowed the fact that the bigger staging yard added a lot to the efficiency and pleasure in running the trains. Tibi's da man. And he's excellent talking to visitors as well.

We're all looking forward to the show in Vancouver next month.

-Terry C
dileTTante

2018 Cilliwack Lions Club Display

Postby CFRiad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Thanks for all those who made this weekend possible:

Bill, Terry and Voytek for building modules and bringing them to the show. They also brought enough locos and cars to fill the layout twice over.

Graeme for being in charge of support services: driving (although "he has a small car" ), keeping us fed and watered and generally maintaining the good mood.

Bill, Terry, Voytek, Voytek's two nephews and Jaydon for operating trains at different times.

Björn, we miss you.
Last edited by CFRiad on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:I believe that this is the largest TT-Scale display in the last 50 years.

In North America, at least...
CFRiad

Postby CN-TT » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:43 am

AWESOME display!!! I love it!!!
When i see this, I’m thinking about coming over to Vancouver for this years VTE! Flights are still available. But money is kind of a challenge!

Ohh, miss it and you guys too!
CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:13 pm

CN-TT wrote:I’m thinking about coming over to Vancouver for this years VTE!
Bring a train to run and a tablet.
dileTTante

Postby CFRiad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:03 pm

dileTTante wrote:
CN-TT wrote:I’m thinking about coming over to Vancouver for this years VTE!
Bring a train to run and a tablet.

Train, schmain... All you need is a tooth brush and clean underwear.
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Events