2017 Western Rails

Re: 2017 Western Rails

Postby CN-TT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 am

So :( I can't be there with you guys! But I'm very sure you will have a great show without me. The layout look huge :thumbup:
Enjoy the show and another after show beer! Cheers to you Vancouver TTnuts! :thumbup: :wave:

(For the future, we have to figure out a way to get me connected to the Z21 and the layout to run a train directly from Europe.)

Cheers
Bjoern
CN-TT

Postby CFRiad » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:49 am

I am proposing a holographic display of the guiTTar case via a live feed from Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Im sure your Z21 can be rigged to work through the internets.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 am

With this show we began our seventh year of exhibiting TT scale. I'm not producing good photos, so I'll leave it up to the others to post better ones. The show was small, the attendance was moderate, therefore it was less hectic than at other times. Our usual group was there. Bjoern's absence was felt and his GuiTTar Case remains only as a local legend.

For my own part I brought some new items. On my last visit to Ohio at the beginning of the year I picked up some models bought through ebay, which included an old BTTB set of the Karwendel express. I had to repair shipping damage and instead of trying to make the E94 digital, I bought the new Tillig E44. I put lights in the coaches and used a hybrid coupler which I made to match the new one on the locomotive.

Recently, Voytek offered locomotives for sale and at the show I bought his BR75 by Beckmann. Anticipating this, I brought a new decoder for it, along with a set of small passenger coaches.

The day went very well. I am constantly impressed by the contributions of the guys, and by how far we have progressed since the early days.

-Terry C
Attachments
DSC04163R.JPG
DSC04172R.JPG
DSC04183R.JPG
DSC04188R.JPG
DSC04187R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 am

Voytek's three modules for our layout are outstanding. We put them front and center. One photo shows a small tree in front of the caboose. The tree is the toggle switch for controlling the turnout. Polish humor, I suspect.

-Terry C
Attachments
DSC04165R.JPG
DSC04167R.JPG
DSC04179R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Bill Dixon wrote: . . . and I haven't made a replacement point rail for a turnout on the other ladder. Going to be a busy evening.

Had a busy evening.
Made a new point rail. After some digging I found a piece of rail removed from a bedding track piece.
Filed the side smooth using a fast tracks jig for a #6 turnout.
Broke two drills drilling a hole in the web. Soldered a piece of heavy brass wire into it to make the front pivot.
Used an Atlas N-Scale rail joiner(suitably filed) at the pivot end.
Fits well. Does not swing properly yet. I will need to remove the turnout to bend the bottom of the brass wire properly. Right now I think it is digging into the turnout base.
We pinned it into place and it worked well enough to use the third track.
20170319 1330 Fixed Turnout.jpg

We picked up an award.
20170320 01 Pixel Pixtures 1386.jpg

Right now it is just a paper award but a proper plaque is to come.

Much more to say and many pictures to post, but have to unload the van now.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:44 am

The usual and one unusual problem occurred

As usual couplers were an issue.
A few cars were too light. I need to add weight to a few gondolas, my scratch built 40' flat car and my new Shapeways Ore car.

We spent time to level the tables and the modules on the tables.

Power was provided by a Z21. Here it is sitting on top of my Digitrax crate.
20170319 Power Center.jpg
Note the green hue is caused by the light filtering through the green tabletops.
Generally it worked well except . . .

Mid-day Sunday Tibi told me we had a short every time we used a set of crossovers.
A quick check with a meter showed that we had wired the tracks wrong.
We had (outer Main) Phase A - Phase B, Inner Main Phase B Phase A.
A quick shutdown, swap the wires around and power up again. Dead Short!
Check the wires, remove the locomotives: Dead Short.
Metering showed a short between Outer Main - Inner rail and Inner Main Outer rail. Couldn't find it quickly so we switched the wires back to the way they were and started running again with the intention of debugging after the show was finished.

After we shut down we couldn't find any problems.
Must be an intermittent somewhere. Tibi and I are going to check our crossover modules as that should be where any problem has occurred. Also the reversing sections.
Tibi is going to make a proper connection cable for the Z21 so we don't have to make something up every time.
May be just a visit from Murphy.

More tomorrow - actually later today.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby MacG » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 am

Congratulations guys to yours award!

Nice pictures!

@Bill Dixon: have you bought the set with the 4 Michigan ore cars? I have some of these, but not yet finished.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby j p » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 pm

MacG wrote:Congratulations guys to yours award!

Nice pictures!

@Bill Dixon: have you bought the set with the 4 Michigan ore cars? I have some of these, but not yet finished.

First of all, congratulations!

Regarding the taconite hopper:
I bought that set. One of the cars got a primer already. It would be easier if the designer followed the NMRA RP-23 standard (for the bolster). Otherwise it is a very nice car, with a higher level of details than some injection molded models.
Here is a picture of it on the Danish TT-club's layout taken at the show in Rødovre on March 4, 2017 (together with Bill Dixon's hoppers). Majority of Danish NA-TT members was present at that show. Some more pictures are at the club's facebook: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=888737894598957&id=323792814426804 (the description is not quite correct)

Sorry for off-topic.

- Jan

Roedovre_3_2017.jpg
j p

Postby MacG » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks for the picture of the taconite hopper. It is only scaled model out of N-scale. At N it is designed to fit on MTL trucks.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

PreviousNext

Return to Events