2017 Plans for TT

2017 Plans for TT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Well, 2016 is almost behind us, and one of my 2017 New Years resolutions is to build a new TT scale layout, and another resolution is to be more active here and with TT scale in general.

Does anyone else have plans for TT scale for 2017?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: 2017 Plans for TT

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:39 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Does anyone else have plans for TT scale for 2017?

Build more rail cars and accessories, and to help build the new TT layout.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:14 am

I'm going to try and get a second start on a portable layout to take to local shows. It'll be the same theme I had on the first one, The Gum Stump & Snowshoe.

http://www.ttnut.com/otter-creek-falls-coal-lumber-rwy-t2600.html

Bernd
Bernd

Postby WillYart » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:49 am

I'm going to try and make this realistic as time is very limited. Basically update existing layout and branch out with modelling efforts.

- Make lots of trees (started this evening already, had a little party with friends! One person, really into crafts, made 90% of them by working really fast)
- Scenery - foam hills/mountains.
- Flatten concrete road (existing road is made from real concrete but it's a little uneven because it was created by children)
- Build out small train yard
- Obtain boxcars, install 1025 couplers at correct NMRA heights (to avoid disappointment I just assume they are wrong or sloppy, seems they often are)
- Scratch-build basic freight items: crates, pallets, piles of sewer pipes to haul.
- Define human (1:1 scale) crew roles and policies

Ambitious / longer term:
- Finish learning CAD/CAM software (Fusion 360)
- Design and produce RTR injection molded Reefer (United States prototype, NEED research help)
- Design and produce RTR 70s-80s era Amtrak passenger car (NEED research help)

I really need people to precisely document the profiles and details of some cars; whoever is willing to volunteer for this can help pick the prototype to copy. Preferably a physical model that we can actually get precise dimensions from; I prefer not to rely on photographs. I prefer copying some specific prototype with reasonable accuracy rather than a fictional model if I'm going to go to this much trouble. However I live in Hawaii so this is difficult without help of research volunteers; my next trip to the mainland will certainly include some research.
WillYart

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:08 pm

For 2017 I hope to get more track laid on my Pennsy Delmarva branch layout....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Here is my third TT related resolution for 2017:

Place 12 North American TT locomotives in service on my layout.

This can be whether it be via new purchase, kit completion, repair/restoration/refit (3R), or conversion from a non North American prototype locomotive.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby modorney » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:27 pm

2017 will be a focus on starting the Achievement Program.

I just got a piece of plywood for the Golden Spike. This will be a module, but HO, not TT
I have all the hours for Dispatcher, I just need to do the String Chart and all the paperwork
I should get another dozen TU's for Volunteer - this will get me more than halfway. 2018 (Kansas City) convention will put me over.
A couple more clinics will add to my Author total - about a third of the way towards 21 clinics.
- I just heard my PCR Regional Convention needs more clinics, so I'll see if I can put together
a few extras, for April in Bakersfield.

For Civil, I plan on making a triple module - 1500 mm long. It will easily have the 25 feet of track, along with these six features: Passing siding, spur, crossover, coal dump track, simple ladder, scale track. Merit awards for crossing, double junction and gauntlet track (these three might be HO?)

If time permits - these are already in process -
One building (HO on a friend's layout)
One car - O , plus a dozen TT cars with the old sides bound in the NMRA bulletin
One locomotive - OO - to learn DJH kits

My basic philosophy is to do as much as possible as modules, so I can bring them to Division meets as an example. And, if I need merit points, I do it in HO, otherwise, if I just need an example, I'll do it in TT. I would like to operate in TT- and I am reluctant to use equipment that got merit awards; they may not be rugged enough for operating. It's not that my TT modeling is crummy, I just want to use my TT models, in operating sessions.
Last edited by modorney on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modorney

Postby Arseny » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:18 am

As for me, I definitely must go on with my Virginian layout (not too much progress in 2016, sorry)
Arseny

Postby WillYart » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:46 am

modorney wrote:2017 will be a focus on starting the Achievement Program.

I just got a piece of plywood for the Golden Spike. This will be a module, but HO, not TT
I have all the hours for Dispatcher, I just need to do the String Chart and all the paperwork
I should get another dozen TU's for Volunteer - this will get me more than halfway. 2018 (Kansas City) convention will put me over.
A couple more clinics will add to my Author total - about a third of the way towards 21 clinics.

For Civil, I plan on making a triple module - 1500 mm long. It will easily have the 25 feet of track, along with these six features: Passing siding, spur, crossover, coal dump track, simple ladder, scale track. Merit awards for crossing, double junction and gauntlet track (these three might be HO?)

If time permits - these are already in process -
One building (HO on a friend's layout)
One car - O , plus a dozen TT cars with the old sides bound in the NMRA bulletin
One locomotive - OO - to learn DJH kits

My basic philosophy is to do as much as possible as modules, so I can bring them to Division meets as an example. And, if I need merit points, I do it in HO, otherwise, if I just need an example, I'll do it in TT. I would like to operate in TT- and I am reluctant to use equipment that got merit awards; they may not be rugged enough for operating. It's not that my TT modeling is crummy, I just want to use my TT models, in operating sessions.

Interesting that the requirements specify a 4 x 8 layout. I specifically chose TT because I didn't have space for a 4 x 8 layout. Mine is 42" x 72"
WillYart

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Gee whiz, you guys are active! Fun reading about your intentions . . . revealing them to others is one way to push one along the path to accomplishment. Right?

My 2017 intentions:

1 - Finish work from the rails up on the GP7-20 project.
2 - Get well along on my White River Jct. layout (B&M/CP, CV/CN) circa 1955. Have begun drawing the track profile on foam board and the thin luan plywood is in the garage. I'm building the large central section in the waffle style of the Sipping & Switching Society modules.

Best wishes to everyone here for a happy and healthy 2017.

Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Next

Return to General Discussion