2017 Plans for TT

Re: 2017 Plans for TT

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:21 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Gee whiz, you guys are active! Fun reading about your intentions . . . revealing them to others is one way to push one along the path to accomplishment. Right?

Yup, and it works too.

2 - Get well along on my White River Jct. layout (B&M/CP, CV/CN) circa 1955.

I'm going have to go through my slides to find my railfan trip to that area back in the 70's. I may even have a couple of White River Junction. If I don't post anything in a long while give me a whistle. :whistle:

Best wishes to everyone here for a happy and healthy 2017.

Same to you, glad to see you back and posting. I want one of those GP7 or GP20 engines.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby WillYart » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:56 pm

I'm excited to read about everyone's intentions for the new year this is going to be awesome.

The purpose of this post is to correct an error. I was confused about the NMRA's requirement for the Golden Spike Achievement Award. One needs a layout of 8 square feet, not 4 x 8. In other words, for example, a sufficiently sized module or 2' x 4' layout would qualify. Source: http://nmra.org/sites/default/files/200 ... -spike.pdf
WillYart

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:40 pm

So let's see, finish rebuilding my Lionel/Lok-n-Roll GP9s, scenic modules, build structures for modules, take modules to Orlando, make progress with U-Boat, build at least a few rolling stock kits. If I can get all that done it will be a massively successful year.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Bernd, I've been collecting every scrap, every morsel of information about WRJ I can get my grubby little hands on. You got photos, would love to see 'em!

One other 2017 resolution for me:

3 - Get my #)#%R&Y* shop up and running. Any master electricians here? I've got the big heavy stuff into the basement. The 750-pound (est.) vulcanizer is a bear. What's more, the wiring is confusing (wiring was cut to one of the heated plates so that the vulcanizer could be broken down.) I'm cosmetically rehabbing the vulcanizer, cleaning and painting with Rustoleum.

I put photos and questions on the Casting (yahoo) site. If anyone is interested:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cas ... s/messages

Photos:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cas ... 1047676630

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby modorney » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Yes, Golden Spike is 8 square feet. I have a "basic module rule". A Module has to do 2 1/2 things.

I have a 960 mm square (9.88 square feet) module that acts as a corner for ETE (European) modules - that's "one thing". It also allows four modules to connect, for operating sessions. A "second thing".

The "half thing" is it also qualifies for the Golden Spike.

If you are using modules for Golden Spike, remember that the requirements are fairly lenient. For example, You may have a 3 foot, or one meter long module, which is under the 8 square foot requirement. By adding an 8 inch extension on the back - buildings, interesting scenery, etc., you gain enough for 8 square feet. Or, a set of stagng tracks, that bolt on the end, would give you more square feet.

I would not want to build something just to get the golden spike, and then have it sit around. (Although if you had a club, and needed a corner, I'd build one and give it to your club).
modorney

Postby areibel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:01 pm

ConnRiver wrote:I put photos and questions on the Casting (yahoo) site. If anyone is interested:

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hi Brian,
Bring it over to my house and I'll take a look!
Seriously, it looks like it's just 120 volt, the only controls are a thermostat and a timer so it shouldn't be too hard. Do you have a manual with it that has a wiring diagram? I looked on the Romanoff site and they only had some basic operating instructions, if there was a manual with the machine they normally would have a diagram and part numbers for replacement parts. On a single phase heating element it wouldn't matter which wire went where (there's no "polarity") but you would have to tie them on at the right place, a diagram would make it pretty easy.
Al
areibel

Postby ConnRiver » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:41 pm

areibel wrote:
ConnRiver wrote:I put photos and questions on the Casting (yahoo) site. If anyone is interested:

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hi Brian,
Bring it over to my house and I'll take a look!
Seriously, it looks like it's just 120 volt, the only controls are a thermostat and a timer so it shouldn't be too hard. Do you have a manual with it that has a wiring diagram? I looked on the Romanoff site and they only had some basic operating instructions, if there was a manual with the machine they normally would have a diagram and part numbers for replacement parts. On a single phase heating element it wouldn't matter which wire went where (there's no "polarity") but you would have to tie them on at the right place, a diagram would make it pretty easy.
Al

Say wh-a-a-a-a-a-t?

I'm an electrical neophyte (obvious, I know). So, what is that tube running into the rear of Plate 3 (the Top plate) in photo 8?

I bought the spin-caster new, the vulcanizer used, both from Romanoff. The vulcanizer was a trade-in, iirc. No documents came with it. These machines came to me in Evansdale, Iowa, I sent it to western Canada, I got it back, and then I returned to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I (dearly) hope what information I have is on my shop shelves.

> On a single phase heating element it wouldn't matter which wire went where (there's no "polarity") but you would have to tie them on at the right place <

Which is why both wires on the middle plate are white, right? Guess I would attach them via wiring cap to the white wires running from the top plate, then? But, I think I better consult with an electrician.

And the bottle jack, suppose I better disassemble it, too, to make sure all is working correctly. (Guess I should at least test it first, though.)

-Brian
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby areibel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi Brian,
It looks like the wires to the plate in Pic #2 (labeled middle plate rear) would connect to the same yellow wire nuts that the wires to the other plate connect to, shown in pic 7. It even looks like there's a connector on the end of the flex conduit in pic 2 that goes into the hole that's in the back of the control box.
And it looks like the extra tube going into the other plate is the end of the thermostat wire- you can see it in pic 7, the bare wire coming out of the side of the thermostat box and going into the flex (3rd from the left hole in the back, according to the picture). If you trace that conduit out of the back and it runs down there you'll see what I mean. it might be a little thicker if it has a sensing bulb on the end of it, or it might be covered with a metal shield. If that's not cut you're OK, if it is you'll have to replace the thermostat. :cry:
areibel

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:19 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Bernd, I've been collecting every scrap, every morsel of information about WRJ I can get my grubby little hands on. You got photos, would love to see 'em!

I've got several hundred slides I'll have to dig through, so it may take a while until I find them. If it seems like I dropped of the edge of the world give me a 'holler.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 am

How has everyone's plans for TT scale in 2017 fared so far?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion