2017 Nov VTE

Re: 2017 Nov VTE

Postby dileTTante » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 am

Lots of people at the show. Lots of interest in TT, maybe it was because there was a dinosaur treasure hunt for the children. I forgot to bring a camera. Hopefully one of us can provide photos Sunday.
-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby CFRiad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:48 am

The layout ran well, without major hiccups. Terry's new ICE train was a big attraction for the kids. The show was well attended. Organizers were mentioning around 2500 visitors before 14:00 hours. Not bad.

We ran European train in the morning and switched to North American later. We definitely need more North American locos. I will have to work on that.
CFRiad

Postby dileTTante » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Sunday has been another busy day. For this large layout we have one and a half operators, Tibi's the one and I'm the half - if even that, so there hasn't been much time to tour the show and take photos. In addition to the Tillig ICE which I received just last week, Tibi has a new Piko BR118, and from Xenia Bill bought another SW which he converted overnight to DCC.

--TerryC
Attachments
P1000461R.JPG
P1000463R.JPG
P1000469R.JPG
P1000472R.JPG
P1000475R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Among the photos is one of the three dinosaurs parked on the layout. There was a dino search contest each day for the children. Another photo shows an interesting set up which uses the Rail Driver control made for train simulators to operate a layout through JMRI. The monitor shows the view from a camera in the locomotive on the layout.

-Terry C
Attachments
P1000478R.JPG
P1000479R.JPG
P1000480R.JPG
P1000481R.JPG
P1000482R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Richard-B » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:11 pm

TT-Trackers: I'm sorry to have missed seeing all of you!
CFRiad wrote: We definitely need more North American locos. I will have to work on that.
...and I am putting BC on my 2018 'MUST DO' schedule.
If the stars align... I may even be able to bring a new NA product for introduction!
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Richard-B wrote:TT-Trackers: I'm sorry to have missed seeing all of you!
Missed seeing you as well.
Richard-B wrote:... I may even be able to bring a new NA product for introduction!
How about new turnouts from Kuehn, announced so long ago?
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:23 am

Having a lazy Monday. Was a long tiring Great weekend.
Still haven't unloaded the van - too rainy.

Arrived Friday about 3 PM.
Arranged tables in rough formation. Unloaded van with help from other show attendees.
Setup store tables. Then helped with levelling tables. Left about 4:40 to go back to the store for a load of sales product. Back 5 ish. Unload, then we went for dinner and Beer.
Back to the hall after dinner to work on the layout until about 9 PM.
Home to a short nights sleep.
Sad to say Voytek could not make it due to winter and other issues.
The layout was adjusted to make up for his absence. Further changes were made Saturday and Sunday to rearrange things and remove a bad module. My short crossover module developed bad rail joiners and did not pass power reliably.
2017 VTE Final..jpg

Also we had to modify one corner of the staging yard loop to make it fit.
20171111 Modified Staging Corner.jpg

The final display looked good and ran well.
20171111 Full Display.jpg
This image shows the display as it was Friday night before the Saturday and Sunday changes.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 am

Saturday dawned way too early. Got up about 2 1/2 hours earlier than usual.
Into the hall just after 7 AM and started working on the store setup.

The store was busy all day so I did not get to run anything on the layout. Managed a few visits but that was all.
The show ended at 6 PM. After we closed the store I went to dinner with the guys. More beer and supper.
At 8 PM I went to pickup my wife and we went to an art opening.
Home about 9:30 PM. Installed a decoder in the SP SW800 conversion Xenia had done that I purchased from her. Worked on it to make it run properly.
Then off to bed. Tired! CRASH!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 am

Sunday dawned at a more reasonable time. Into the hall after 8 AM.
As the store was setup I was able to spend an hour or so running trains until the show opened at 10 AM.
The store was not as busy Sunday so I was able to get away and wander around a few times.
5 PM eventually came and it was tear down time.
I worked at the store packing up until it was mostly done and then moved over to the layout.
The layout was packed up and modules redistributed. Tibi now has all the staging yard modules to rework.
We loaded our vehicles and headed home or off to dinner for more beer, oh and food.

It was a good show.
More interested people.
More people who remember us from previous shows and spot what is new.

We are about as big as we can handle with the current number of people although a new module or two and a new set of corners is under consideration.
It is time to start improving or replacing modules.
Much to do until the next show in March 2018.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 am

We ran a fair mix of equipment.
Saturday we started with European in the morning then ran North American in the afternoon.
20171111 ICE on New Corner.jpg
Terry's ICE was a hit.
In the background in the trees you can see one of the dinosaurs we had on the layout. Also behind that is the 'Happy train'.

Sunday I had some time to run trains.
20171112 Cargo Train.jpg
I dug out my original Tillig train set from 2011 and ran the Cargo train. As the locomotive is short it stalls on turnouts if it is not going fast enough and it gets warm if you run it too long. Still it was nice to run it gain.

Sunday we started with North American equipment as I was running the SP SW800 conversion Xenia did.
I do not have a good picture of it but here it is pulling a short MOW train.
20171112 SW800 w MOW Train.jpg

Also in that train is the latest addition to my MOW fleet, a Brownhoist Crane.
20171112 Brownhoist Crane.jpg
I found a Z-scale model on Shapeways. I asked the maker if he could resize it for TT-Scale. He said yes, give me a few hours. I ordered it the next day and it arrived late last month. The model was cast in one piece and has a move able cab, boom, pulley supports and roof hatch.
It didn't need too much clean up. Going to reshape the end of the cab. It should be a bit rounded.
I removed the cast on truck mounts and made new bolsters. The couplers are MicroTrains down knuckle couplers, forgot the number. I painted it a dark panzer gray using Vallejo Model air paint. After I rework the cab I will repaint it a darker color. Nato Black will be good color as it is not a true black. Then decals and a few cables. Will need to find or make a boom car.

Looking at my equipment fleet it is apparent that I need more flat cars. Both 42' and 52' cars. and reefers, and . . .

Also we don't run any British equipment. I will look at my Triang equipment and see if it can be easily converted to DCC.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to Events