2017 BCSME Second Display

Re: 2017 BCSME Second Display

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:16 pm

20170929 Rail.jpg

It's raining - must be a Fall display weekend.<G>

20170929 Loaded Van.jpg
Happily knowing that it was going to rain today loaded everything I could yesterday.
Missing are two containers of equipment, my tool box and a few misc items.
Otherwise ready to go.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:39 am

Despite horrible traffic I got to my supper place on time and had a good Triple-Os burger.
Then I fought the bad traffic a again to get to BCSME late than I wanted to but still early.
The bad traffic made Tibi and |Terry late.

First to set up the tables.
20170930 Tables Setup.jpg
Then level the tables. Add the modules and level them to get:
20170930 Display Setup.jpg

20170930 NJew Staging Yard Access.jpg
There is a new access to the staging yard.

20170930 A very Sharp Curve.jpg
But it involves a very sharp R1 curve. This will be rebuilt to have a gentler curve.

20170930 Lopp Fits.jpg
Through careful planning the reverse loop just fit inside.
Well actually bloody good luck. I had my 83mm long filler piece to hand in case we needed a bit more length but it just fit.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:48 am

A few more quick pictures.

20170930 Right Side of the Display.jpg
The right side of the display.

20170930 End Loop.jpg
One end loop from the end.

20170930 Lopp Fits.jpg
To go back to this picture, this corner if the first candidate to be replaced by a two-piece thirty-inch corner. Access to the back track will be from the first module past the corner. The module to the left of the corner may be rebuilt or set aside with the twenty-four inch corner and stored serviceable for a future giant display.

One thing we all agree on is the the end loops are the best idea we have come up with in a while. We now have inside access to the display without crawling under a table. We also now have a good work area inside.

It's going to be a good display.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:10 am

Saturday we were all in the hall early.
It was open before 9 AM.

We started running and testing.
The reverse loop didn't work. Chased it down to an old wiring issue.
The station passing siding had no power. Not surprising as it used to get its power from the auto reverse unit on the wye junction module, a module that were were not using in this setup. Not having any proper jumpers to hand we bodged something up. Worked all day. We will fix it properly Sunday morning with a switch so we can select direct power or reversing power.

The very sharp curve leading to the staging yard caused issues with longer equipment. We discussed what had to be done to resolve the issue and whether it could be done by Chillwack in two short weeks.

Most equipment ran well with the occasional car needing tweaking.

A few pictures.
20170930 Three Trains.jpg
Three trains in the station area.

20170930 Tank Cars.jpg
As noted in the posting about the first 2017 BCSME setup, we like tank cars.

20170930Four Trains Running.jpg
I you look closely you can see three trains running. One in the loop in front of us, one going away from us on the left side, and two more passing each other on the far right. Zoom in for a better look. Tibi was running two and I was running two. With another throttle and a bit of attention we probably could have got a fifth and sixth train running.

It was noted that the two reverse loops make this a single track mainline so a bit more care is needed in keeping track of the trains.

Shutdown was at five PM.
We cleaned up and then discussed what we needed to do on Sunday.
We have to fix the siding wiring on the station corner.
Reorient and lengthen the power input wires on the power corner.
Swap in my new Z21 for testing.
Make a power extension cord for Chilliwack and a few other things.

Then we went for beer and supper at Cristos.
20170930 Dinner.jpg

It was a very good day and the display ran well.

Of to home to gather what will be needed for tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 am

Bill Dixon wrote:I you look closely you can see three trains running. One in the loop in front of us, one going away from us on the left side, and two more passing each other on the far right.

Bill, 2+2 will be four, not three! :lol:
Arseny

Postby CN-TT » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:07 am

Hi guys, it looks great. I'd love to come over and play with the trains on this layout. I still have to figure something out to get connected via a network connection to do so!
Bill, I never thought I would see the day you are working with a Z21. And now you own one yourself :clap:

So, in two week we all will be at a train show at nearly the same time +/- 9 hours.

Thank you for the pictures. And have more fun on sunday.

Bjoern
CN-TT

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Wish you were here. You are missed.

The display ran well with only two glitches.
The too sharp curve on the entrance to the staging yard caused problems with many trains s. Tibi will have that fixed by Chilliwack.
The second was caused by the gaps on one of the loop.modules closing up. I levered the gaps open and then used a saw to widen them. After the show was over I went to work with a file to open them up more.

The Z21 worked well except for one problem, I got a slot max message when I tried to select a locomotive with my Digitrax DT402 throttle. Probably just a setting as the throttle worked with Terry's Z21.

There were minor issues but overall the display ran very well. The two end loops totally change the nature of the display. Having walking access to the center is great!

I would say that perhaps with the exception of the two National displays, this was the best weekend display ever!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:24 am

Due to other events in the area (Toy Run) we were at the BCSME by 09 AM.
However unlike Saturday where the park was open before 9 AM, the park was not open yet.
A member showed up at 9:15 AM and let us in.

We started working on the wiring issues we had found Saturday.
20171001 Power Selector.jpg
We added a power switch for the siding on the Station Corner. The siding had no power as it was fed from a module we were not using in this setup. We added a power switch to select power from the main or from the other module. If you look closely at a picture in another posting of a paper template on a corner module you can see bodge we made on Saturday to get power to this track.

20171001 Rerouted Power Wires.jpg
On the current power corner we rerouted the power connector wires. The feed from the power station originally came through the front of the module. It now comes through the back edge and now has a cable long enough to reach well below the table top.
As well the power cable to the Station Corner and the power cable that runs along the front edge of the layout to the far corner were also routed though an edge. They did fit OK under the edge of the module but in some situations could twist and lift the module up.

Tibi made a new power cable for my Z21
20171001 Power Pole Orientation.jpg
20171001 Power Pole Orientation.jpg (13.6 KiB) Viewed 209 times
and reconfigured all the Power Power Connector sets.

This took a bit longer than anticipated so we were not fully operational until 11:15.

Other things worked on:
Started on a bit of a scenery block to hide the revering units.
20171001 Start of Scenery Copver.jpg
You can see it with its first coat of paint in a future posting.

[
20171001 Back Track.jpg
This back track has always been a bit of a problem. When we had an oval setup there was always a bit of a discontinuity in the track with gaps at various places. Setting up in the open U-Shape exacerbated this. So I removed all the track but the BG1 on the left and juggled track pieces until I got a good fit. After the glue dried it is a much better looking and running track.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 pm

One of our hosts gave me a brief look at the facilities. Edwin was draining locomotive boilers as preparation for the winter. A couple of the locomotives burn coal and were not run last summer because the risk of fire in the park, as the weather had been very hot and dry.
-Terry
Attachments
P1000421R.JPG
P1000422R.JPG
P1000423R.JPG
P1000424R.JPG
P1000426R.JPG
dileTTante

Previous

Return to Events