2017 BCSME Display

Re: 2017 BCSME Display

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 am

Thursday was supposed to be loading day.
After a long day at work, it was too hot and humid to load in the evening so I staged things inside and waited for Friday.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:24 am

Friday dawned overcast and warm. It was overcast because of the forest fire smoke that had drifted down into our area the last week. The smoke caused a haze in the air, a beautiful red sun and moon, but not so thick that you could smell it. You would get an occasional whiff but nothing too bad.

It was cooler when I loaded up the van. First remove the bench seat - HEAVY!
Load in the new folding corner, four corners(two in boxes), seven plastic boxes of modules, one paper box of modules, Bjoerns box of modules, four 'paper' boxes of stuff, five boxes of equipment, a bag of shims, a bag of table coverings, an extension cord and my DCC equipment. It all fit well with room for more.

It was a long day at work. A few too many difficult customers and a long wait for the boss to get back.
Happily he got back early so I was able to get to the park early.

Into the newly cleaned up hall. Much stuff moved out and rearranged so there was more room.
With the help of a BCSME member I set up the tables. The tables are not new anymore and are starting to sag a bit. More on this later.

Terry showed up then and we unloaded my van.
Tibi showed up shortly after that and we unloaded his rental car. He then took his car back and biked back to the hall.

We then setup the display. We fiddled a bit with the layout of the turn back loop. We could have had a long yard but settled for a shorter yard with better access to the city corner module.

After setting up the layout we started shimming. We used a lot of shims because of the sagging tables.
We started at the new power corner and worked our way to the bridge module.
Then we went back to the power module and worked our way around to the bridge the other way.
If you examine those two sentences carefully you will note an important omission.

After we "finished" levelling we cleaned the track, put storage boxes under the layout,
Then it was time for a test train or two. I taped a few skirts to the tables.

20170805 BCSME Display.jpg
Here is the final display before we started running Saturday morning. Those of you who look carefully will note a problem that will come back and haunt us Saturday afternoon.

Then we went home.
I packed some more stuff and tools and had a good nights sleep.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 am

Saturday dawned the same as Friday, overcast with smoke and warm.
I was worried about it being too hot all weekend. It was not too bad. Was a short spell Saturday and Sunday, with a longer spell Monday, but overall liveable.

We ran European in the morning and North American in the afternoon.
The queen of the show was Terry's HP Pacific. It did have a few problems but was beautiful.
20170806 Queen of the Show.jpg
I am going to have to get mine into operation. A Mikado would be nice as well.

We like tank cars.
20170806 Tank Train.jpg
Here is a train running clockwise with Maisto cars in the front and Zeuke cars in the rear. This train ran perfectly clockwise. Later in the day we ran it around the loop and it started to act up. First it was derailing at one of the crossovers. This we traced to low trip pins snagging on the turnouts.
Then it was derailing for no reason on straight track, or so it seemed. Close examination it looked like it was having problems on the diamond corner. There was a piece of track coming loose so we shimmed the module.
Then it was derailing just before the exit of Bjoerns long bridge module pair. Closer examination showed that it was actually derailing at the start of the bridge module. When we were shimming modules we had shimmed up to the bridge module but didn't DO the bridge module. The module was held in place by the rail joiners and had a big droop there. Every so often when the train went by this sag one wheel set would climb the rail, then ride on the surface of the rail, across the bridge. Then for unknown reasons it would either drop back into place or drop off the out side of the rail. Then the car would run around the corner before it caused a derailment.
We used up the last of our ships fixing this.
Things ran well after that.

20170806 On The Bridge.jpg
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:56 am

While we were running I worked one one of the new folding corners.
20170805 Folding End Loop Module.jpg
This corner does violate one of the basic concepts of TT-Tracks, it is heavy.
You can't tell here but i am laying out the track centerlines before gluing the cork down.
I started pinning the cork in place. didn't work too well because of the plywood top.

Because of the doors open for the public and to create a cross breeze to keep the room cooler we had an issuse with skirts blowing around.
20170805 Flapping Skirts.jpg
Weights were extemporised with with Bulldog clips and a few shims. Worked well.

My flat cars were a little light. On the scratch built fish belly side car I was able to hide a stick on weight underneath, but the resin cars were not as easy. I had to stick the weights on the deck.
20170806_light flat_car.jpg
This of course was ugly. That's Terrys E-Unit in the background.
So Sunday I bought some strip wood and built a wood load around the weights. Monday i brought the thread for the tie downs.
20170812_loaded_car.jpg
Turned out OK.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 am

Saturday night we went to Cristos for dinner, Tibi, Terry, Kathy my wife and myself. A good meal with a toast to TT-Scale.
After I got home I made more shims - 90.

Sunday morning was the same as Saturday, smoky.
On all three days I arrived very early so I could get a good parking spot near the park.
This morning I set up a table and sorted through the stuff in my five paper boxes.
Was able to consolidate down to four. One of scenery stuff, one of buildings for the display and two of stuff.

I worked on the corner again.
20170806 Loop with Cork.jpg
Today i brought a hammer to hammer in the push pins.
Got all the cork glued down. Cut the cork at the joints, removed the pins, Folded up the corner and took it home that night.

Tibi worked on the Zeuke tank cars. Many trip pins were low, mainly because they had not been pushed all the way into the coupler when they were assembled. He also adjusted the pins with the couple trip pliers I brought from home.

I have a few Maisto car conversions, with more to come.
20170806_Maisto_Train.jpg
For the first time I have enough cabooses, most of them Maisto conversions. I tried using HP trucks on one but it makes the car sit too high. I have a pair of cast brass Kemtron trucks on another one. Doesn't look too bad. Painting the trucks will help.

Running short of trucks. Tibi has some Preveset(sic) trucks They are not North American but look close enough that they will be useable. I think that I will use them on future Maisto conversions and save the Gold Cost trucks for other cars. the Preveset Arch Bar trucks are perfect for North American use.

Went home packed a bit more stuff for Monday.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 am

Monday was a bit hotter than the other days but still liveable.

Worked on cars most days. Fixed broken cars from previous shows. Brought a few more into service.
Have the start of a work train.

Been working on backdrops.
20170806_backdrops.jpg
The one one the left was the colour I was originally using.
When I bought some more paint Friday before setting up, I purchased a different colour. That is the backdrop on the right. I think I like it better, not as bright.
If you look closely you can see my attempts at trees. The deciduous trees are OK. the pine trees need a lot of work.
Tibi suggested that we go with a lower backdrop. I agree with him and will reduce the height by three inches. that will get them to just below the cloud on the left module. That will be enough of a backdrop to finish the module but not so large as to overwhelm the module.

Using bulldog clips to hold them on worked.
Not sure yet how far I will take this idea. I may only do a few modules. We will see.

We had a few instances of wandering hands. Mostly very young kids, too young to know better yet.
We had more than enough 'Do Not Touch' signs around the layout, in various sizes and versions. Most parents noticed these and kept their kids under control.

We are going to experiment with a front shield.
Terry provided some six inch high plexiglass strips that I am going to fashion into front module shields to see how the concept works. We will use bulldog clips to hold these on.

The day finally ended and the display was over.

We packed up and were out of there by seven.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:52 am

Tuesday dawned - well I have no idea how it dawned, I slept in.

By the time I unloaded the van it was already hot and humid.

When that was finished I hauled out my table saw and cut down a box insert.
The 11 Litre 'Really Usefull Boxes' I use to hold equipment come with a six compartment removable insert.
It is the full depth of the box. Cut down to half height, it is much more useful as you can stack them two high.
So use the table saw to make the basic cuts on all four sides, then a hand saw to finish the cuts.
Clean up the edges and you have a very useful tray. I removed the partition between to sections to make space for longer cars.
Then into the shower. Start laundry.

Out that night to help a friend get his layout ready for September operations.
Was still so frazzled from the show that I screwed up two decoder installations. Fried two decoders. Happily they have a 'Goof Proof' warranty and I know what I did wrong so no worries.

Wednesday back to work. Out that night to run trains on a friends BC Hydro Railway layout. Very nice. Had a good time. He uses a lot of cardboard stand in buildings to good effect.

Thursday work and a new experience to me. I joined the ranks of blood donors. A clinic was close to work so I was able to walk over and donate.

Friday was game night after work. Played 1846. Was in a good mood so I played silly buggers with my strategy and won.

Saturday Terrys friend, Graeham dropped off the plexiglass that Terry had.
Home, eat, nap and then start typing.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 am

2017 BCSME wrap up.

It was a good show. Maybe a day too long but we had fun.
Ran trains, worked on projects, talked to a lot of people.
Planned our end of September setup. Planned the October Chilliwack setup. The same for November.

We all missed Bjoern. We should be OK for the September setup.
I think we will have to send a squad over to kidnap him and bring him back for October and November.
He might be a bit unhappy with that but if we ply him with enough beer and burgers he will come around. Just kidding.

Most equipment ran well. Fixed it if it didn't.
Need to get more equipment into service. Especially North American Steam and passenger equipment.
Need to get my HP 4-6-2 running. Terrys looked great and I have heard good comments from people who were there and saw it. Need to find a Mikado for freight service.

Have modules to fix. On some of the older ones from 2011 some of the track is coming unglued.
Need to put feet on modules. Need more shims if I don't.

I will have the two folding reverse loops ready for the September show for testing.
Need to order up the Dual Frog juicers for the reversing loops next week. May have to order more flex track. Not sure yet.

We need another small corner to allow for better setup of the yard and current reverse loop.

I need another 48 Litre 'Really Useful Box' or two for module transport. Not easy to gt up here. If I can find them somewhere in Washington State I may make a day trip to get them.

Need to put more stuff on modules. Spurs to industries and so on.

Need more modules from different people.

The cleaned up room at the BCSME is great. More room for a display.
They also now give an Honorarium for being there. I am going to set some of it aside for a round of drinks next setup and put the rest into the turn back loops,

My thanks to Terry and Tibi who helped make a great weekend.

Now that I am recovered from the long weekend all that I can say is:

Aw . . . Its' over. Can we do it again!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CN-TT » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Bill, thank you for the wrap up and pics! I would have loved being there with you guys!
Right now, I'm busy learning for my "new" old job. Tomorrow will be the day where I have to pass a final knowledge test for this. Fingers crossed.

BTW, my wife is coming to Vancouver early September. If anyone need anything, let me know.

Cheers Bjoern
CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Here are a few more photos from our recent event. Not mentioned so far is the new member of our group, 7 year old Jayden. His father is one of the outdoor railway people who were our hosts. Jayden spent time with us last year and has visited our TT display at the regular shows in Vancouver. He helped us operate our layout all weekend.

Also pictured is Bill getting accustomed to using something that isn't Digitrax. Nearby on the wall is a map of the layout outdoors.

-Terry C
Attachments
DSC04312R.JPG
IMG_20170731_214147R.jpg
DSC04338R.JPG
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to Events