2017 BCSME Display

Re: 2017 BCSME Display

Postby dileTTante » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:24 am

CN-TT wrote:Guys, how was the first day???
First day is next week. 4-7 August is long weekend holiday here. Hope I'm not wrong about that and in trouble.
dileTTante

Postby CN-TT » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:57 am

Ooops, sorry, I thought it's this weekend :wall: :oops:

Please don't forget to take picture. Thank you!

Cheers
Bjoern
CN-TT

Postby CFRiad » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm

CN-TT wrote:Please, give us some pictures!!!
I'm begging you!!! Please!!!

Since you insist, here is one:
calendar.jpg
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:02 pm

Bill, Terry,

If I got it correctly, here is the rough schedule. Please help filling in the blanks. I have some commitments on Sunday evening and I would like to plan ahead.
  • Friday 7 p.m set-up
  • Saturday ?? a.m. meet, ?? a.m. open for public, ?? p.m. close for public, ?? p.m. dinner at ??
  • Sunday ?? a.m. meet, ?? a.m. open for public, ?? p.m. close for public
  • Monday ?? a.m. meet, ?? a.m. open for public, ?? p.m. close for public, ?? p.m. takedown
CFRiad

Postby dileTTante » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:51 pm

Well I know next to nothing about it. Bjoern made my heart stop because I thought I had the date wrong. BCSME web site says the hours are 11AM - 5PM weekends and holidays.
https://www.bcsme.org

I have arranged volunteer work for Friday instead of Saturday, so I'm available all weekend. I can arrive before operating hours at whatever time you like as long as the buses are running. Set-up is late and tear-down is tiring, so dinner might be best Saturday where you put the blank. Same place as last year is okay.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:03 am

We are mostly set up. We had locos running on the main circuit. The extension was added but not tested before it was time to close down for the evening. The two photos show Tibi and Bill hard at work. I was exhausted. I was up most of the night, did a volunteer stint in the afternoon and lugged a toolbox full of trains out to the suburbs on the bus. So was not very useful during set up.

Some of the delay in set up was from the desire to work on TTTracks modules during the weekend and finding the arrangement which would provide spare modules to swap in and out.

In the foreground of one photo is an HP E7 diesel. I brought it and the HP Pacific steam locomotive which has taken up too much of my time. The diesel ran the circuit with the usual mechanical sound enhancements, but the coupler came off in transit, so back to the workbench. I was pleased that it worked at all.

We'll get things ready in the morning for the flood of public bodies. Tibi brought lots of trains and so did I, so something is bound to work right.

We are concerned about our fellow Voytek who lives in the area of British Columbia which is beset by forest fires. Even on the coast in Vancouver the air is hazy from the smoke and the temperatures are pretty high.

-Terry C
Attachments
IMG_20170804_202458R.jpg
IMG_20170804_203313R.jpg
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:11 am

Our first day opened with running European (German) TT. People generally showed up to look, after riding the trains through the outdoor layout of our hosts. Monday I'll provide a few photos of the grounds and operations of the group here.

Mid-day we switched to N. American trains and I took the opportunity to stick my rebuilt HP 4-6-2 on the layout for a trial run. Bill and Tibi attached some rolling stock, apparently optimistic that the loco would work. Well, it did. It ran for an hour without problems. I was shocked but now feel extremely pleased with the results, because a hy-u-u-u-uge amount of time was put into renewing this locomotive. Directly behind the loco is Bill's in honour of Canada's 150 birthday.

Near the end of the day there were numerous derailings. Bill concluded the coupler pins are catching on the turnouts, and later we saw that modules had shifted out of alignment. Children are numerous - it's why the families visit the place- and they lean on the tables and whatever. It's a two edged thing, worrisome but also heartening to see the kids fascinated by the trains.

In the evening Voytek called to say they were alright, awaiting possible evacuation. Most importantly (!) he has his TT equipment packed for removal just in case. So far he has been safe from the fires.

That's it for now. Tomorrow's another day.

-Terry C
Attachments
DSC04290R.JPG
DSC04292R.JPG
IMG_20170730_222934R.jpg
DSC04294R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Arseny » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 am

Your Pacific steam locomotive is gorgeous!

Did you replace the engine, or do you still use the HP motor?
Arseny

Postby dileTTante » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 am

Thank you, Arseny. The motor is the original one. It is controlled by an NCE HO decoder. Sunday the loco began to run badly and stalled. At home this evening I found that one crank arm on the driver had moved and the valve rods locked the wheels. I think it will run well again Monday.

Although this 4-6-2 is actually a crude model people at the show have commented favourably about it. The proportions of the model make it handsome in a basic way. And, as I expected, modelers like it because it's N. American.

The HP E7 diesel runs but it is not good on the small radius curves. The drive gear grinds against the body. Probably the long wheel bases are not good for small radius curves either, so I won't run the diesel anymore under present conditions.

Sunday at the show was very busy. A number of technical problems cropped up, and Bill and Tibi were occupied with fixing things. I'll let them write about it, and hopefully we'll all have more to say and a few more photos to show after recovering from this event.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby CN-TT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Thank you for the pictures!
It looks like the room is freshly renovated.
CN-TT

PreviousNext

Return to Events